Help for fishing Bayou Black

I’m starting to fish and learn the Bayou Black area, but have not had much success with bass. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I’ve read the past few years of info on this forum and know my way around the area decent enough, but I haven’t been able to find fish consistently. Not looking for secret honey holes, just general fishing tips for that area this time of year. Last time I went there was muddy water everywhere. Ran from Cannons landing to Mandalay area, 70 mile canal, Bluebird canal, and the Turtle Bayou area. We only had a couple bites and caught one catfish on a Texas rigged speed craw. Water started off decent in Bluebird, but all of the boat traffic dirtied it up pretty quickly.

Does river level matter for this area? Is there a certain wind that’s better or worse? What ride gauges do you use for this area? Better in a falling tide?

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated.

thanks.

2. Member
    I don’t know how much hurricane Ida affected that area, but just a little further east around Lac Des Allemans there were bad fish kills which will take some time to recover from

3. Member
    If I remember correctly, Racoon point, is the tide gauge to use. This area is better on a falling tide but any water movement is better than none. This time of year, fish are relating to points of canals at the intersections with main bayous and any drains from the marsh. Fish early in AM or late in the afternoons.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Bay Wallace.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses. Is Bay Wallace a running joke on here because I’ve seen this suggestion pretty often on here with smiley face emoji’s? Lol

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btoups View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Is Bay Wallace a running joke on here because I’ve seen this suggestion pretty often on here with smiley face emoji’s? Lol
    Yes. When someone asks where the fish are biting, the answer is always Bay Wallace, and on a Carolina rigged buzzbait. And I have caught fish in Bay Wallace.

7. Member
    Yes, the Wallace response is usually a joke. However, I have caught good fish in Wallace but mostly in the fall. It’s a beautiful area and it seems like it should be loaded with fish but it’s a tough place to fish sometimes. I still check it out every now and then just because the scenery is just gorgeous. Sometimes I’ll bring a few jug lines for catfish or choupic and fish for bass while waiting.

8. Member
    I haven’t been to that area in years but used to love the atchafalaya river side, over around deer island, palmetto, or that west end of penchant…. Gotta watch the stupid posted areas nowadays tho, as it’s pretty much all private…

9. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Fished yesterday but was only able to find a few small bass. Water around Mandalay NWR looked dead. It had that black color with no movement. Fished 70 mile canal and water was better but only caught a few small bass fishing points and grass. Bluebird canal had a little water movement but was also black and very clear. I could see the bottom in about 6’ of water. Saw plenty of small garfish and only caught one goggle eye on a Texas rigged sped craw. I had never been further south so we ran to Lake Penchant and ended up fishing a canal on the N side of Lake Penchant that had good current and we could see some bait. Only had one bite that I missed. This is such a huge area that I’m sure it will take some time to learn and figure out.

10. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Fished yesterday but was only able to find a few small bass. Water around Mandalay NWR looked dead. It had that black color with no movement. Fished 70 mile canal and water was better but only caught a few small bass fishing points and grass. Bluebird canal had a little water movement but was also black and very clear. I could see the bottom in about 6’ of water. Saw plenty of small garfish and only caught one goggle eye on a Texas rigged speed craw. I had never been further south so we ran to Lake Penchant and ended up fishing a canal on the N side of Lake Penchant that had good current and we could see some bait. Only had one bite that I missed. This is such a huge area that I’m sure it will take some time to learn and figure out. We saw a few other boats in the areas that we fished, but really didn’t notice that anyone seemed to be catching. Also saw boats running in all different directions during the day. Thanks again.

11. Member
    Best advice I can give is the fish are usually past the posted signs.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btoups View Post
    The Bay Wallace joke started here probably 10 years ago. After realizing that there was so many internet fisherman ending up in your holes it then became a joke to tell them bay wallace and watch how many people ended up there.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

13. Member
    Thanks for the replies

14. Member
    Came out in top 5 in bay Wallace for one tournament. Literally.

15. Member
    Fished yesterday in bayou copasaw area. Caught a good number of really small bass and a handful of keepers. Just fished random canals off of copasaw.

16. Member
    Wanted to go Saturday but had some chores to do around the house. I bet it was hot out there.

17. Member
    Will try to go Tuesday depending on weather

18. Member
    Try fishing lake Penchant area
    I always catch fish down there

try fishing a fluke or Slugo through hydrilla beds
    on falling tide, find dead end canals that have a trenasse coming in

dont be afraid to fish shallow if there is hydrilla

on main bayous fish mouths of canals and cuts with wacky senko
    i prefer Bama Bug

put a big split shot 18” ahead of the hook

19. Member
    Thanks again for the replies. I haven’t been able to fish the last few weeks. Last trip out there we did fairly well. Caught a few decent bass in some canals off the Copasaw. I did see a small shark on two different trips in a canal off the Copasaw. I was surprised to see a shark on two separate trips. They were about 3’ long. I’m guessing it was a bull shark since water was fresh.