Magdraft on a jig head

Has anyone tried the freestyle 6inch on a jig head? Going to try one in the pool this weekend and see how it looks. Any suggestions if you have tried this presentation?

I fish the Freestyle on a jighead a lot. It gets big bites.

It surprised me how much weight it took to keep the Freestyle down at a steady depth and fish it fast enough to trigger strikes and have it not be rising the whole time. Same thing goes for the smaller Spark Shads, Keitechs and Scroungers. For years I fished them on too light of a jighead. It wasn't until I fished with a buddy that had Livescope that I realized what all it took to keep swimbaits deep.

I use 1 1/2 and 2 oz jigheads in the Freestyle but use the 2 oz the most, especially in the Summer when I'm mostly using a burn-stop-burn retrieve fishing 15-20 ft deep.

The main jighead I use is the Picasso Smart Mouth Plus with the 7/0 hook. If I'm dragging it through shell beds or keeping it close to the bottom I like Hogfarmer's Stand Up jighead in 1 or 1 1/2 oz , I go lighter if they're not generating any current.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

3. Member
    On a jighead is how I like to fish the freestyle as well. I like to fish the same way as Sharpcard and I use the Picasso jigs in the same weight for fishing offshore. One other way I like to fish it is on a weighted swimbait hook or a 3/8 jighead in shallow water. If I've gone down a bank with a spinnerbait and want to make one more trip to see if I can pick up a big bite than I'll throw it on one of those 3/8 setups. If there's lots of brush I'm throwing in than I go with the weighted hook. If open water or just rocks than I use a 3/8 jighead. Tight lines!
    1998 Champion 203
    1998 Mercury 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex, 10" Helix MSI+ G4N, 10" Helix MDI+ G4N
    "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

4. Member
    1/2 oz Scottsboro Recon with the 6/0 hook

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    I fish the Freestyle on a jighead a lot. It gets big bites.

It surprised me how much weight it took to keep the Freestyle down at a steady depth and fish it fast enough to trigger strikes and have it not be rising the whole time. Same thing goes for the smaller Spark Shads, Keitechs and Scroungers. For years I fished them on too light of a jighead. It wasn't until I fished with a buddy that had Livescope that I realized what all it took to keep swimbaits deep.

I use 1 1/2 and 2 oz jigheads in the Freestyle but use the 2 oz the most, especially in the Summer when I'm mostly using a burn-stop-burn retrieve fishing 15-20 ft deep.

The main jighead I use is the Picasso Smart Mouth Plus with the 7/0 hook. If I'm dragging it through shell beds or keeping it close to the bottom I like Hogfarmer's Stand Up jighead in 1 or 1 1/2 oz , I go lighter if they're not generating any current.
    Do you cut off the front of the magdraft so that it fits the jig head?
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

6. Member
    I do, right before the eyes matches the recon nicely.

scott