Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spawn Stage - Upstate NY

Can anyone give an accurate stage of the spawn that the majority of fish are in for this year in these locations?

Oneida
    Cayuga
    Otisco
    A. Bay/Clayton/Cape Vincent
    Henderson Harbor/Chaumont

I plan on fishing a few times in the next few weeks and was just wondering what stage most fish would be in to gauge my techniques accordingly. I know the St. Lawrence can be all over the place with the spawn but any help on these waterways would be appreciated.

2. Member
    You guys from out of State are unreal. Why don’t you just come up and figure out what they’re doing just like the rest of us. In couple of weeks when the season is open you’re probably the guys that take stringer full of fish back home with you like I see every year. Good fishing dude.

3. Member
    After you answer his questions, would you mind letting me know:
    Black lake water temp
    what bait is working
    what color
    best place to eat
    best place to launch
    your best gps coordinates
    Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

4. Member
    Watch your dates and locations...
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassranger View Post
    You guys from out of State are unreal. Why don’t you just come up and figure out what they’re doing just like the rest of us. In couple of weeks when the season is open you’re probably the guys that take stringer full of fish back home with you like I see every year. Good fishing dude.
    I am coming up to the 1000 Islands in late June for a week. I thought maybe this forum was for help, not hostility. I haven't taken a stringer of fish in my life so yeah, that's not us bud. But thanks for no answer. I was contemplating maybe Oneida or Cayuga this weekend but at $5 gas it's nice to ask a question first. If you don't have an answer, then keep your computer muscles to yourself. Have a nice weekend and good fishing to you too dude.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    Watch your dates and locations...
    Yes, fully aware. Thank you sir! We always schedule our trip to be after the bass opener. We just go up, have a lot of fun, hopefully catch fish, and relax. Update NY is a beautiful area to fish.

7. Member
    Need a little cheese to go with that dude ?

8. Member
    It is hard to time any spawn on any body of water. If you can plan on fishing after the third Saturday in June for at least the St. Lawrence, you should be in the ballpark.
    I don't care if you don't catch anything, (which is impossible), the area is beautiful.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Aj14; 06-03-2022 at 04:43 PM. Reason: incorrect word

9. Member
    It's people like you that ruin these forums. I see people coming from out of state all the time and we have no where close to the amount venues of waterways NY has.

Secondly how do you know it's not a NY fisherman keeping fish. I'm another one that's never kept a bass in my life and I don't even know why you would. Rather eat bugs and crickets before I eat a bass .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    After you answer his questions, would you mind letting me know:
    Black lake water temp
    what bait is working
    what color
    best place to eat
    best place to launch
    your best gps coordinates
    Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.
    here’s some good info for black lake bass. Once you get to the state ramp, turn left, then make another left. You should be facing the launch exit. Leave Black lake and fish a someplace else black lake sucks. Not even worth fishing even as a NY resident
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    here’s some good info for black lake bass. Once you get to the state ramp, turn left, then make another left. You should be facing the launch exit. Leave Black lake and fish a someplace else black lake sucks. Not even worth fishing even as a NY resident
    Now of course I was only kidding. But while we are on that topic, what ever happened to Black Lake?
    Wasn't this a good lake to fish at one time?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Now of course I was only kidding. But while we are on that topic, what ever happened to Black Lake?
    Wasn't this a good lake to fish at one time?
    haha ya I got the humor in that post.. it used to be one of the best lakes in the state. Now it’s the land of 14” fish (15” size limit on that lake). There’s still some big fish in there but it’s a lot harder to come across them. just seems the bass population took a big hit the last 4-5 years. Some blame the crappie, I think it just became overfished and pressure took it’s toll.
    1995 Ranger 481v

13. Member
    Is there a reason for your hostility toward out of state fisherman?? or is it something for everyone? They pay for their license like you do, and contribute to upstate economy which is in sad shape. Some people like to keep fish, and I wish there were many more that kept freaking pike, since they cost me 3-5 lure every time I get into them in Clayton to Chippewa area. There is plenty of good size bass, though I don't keep any by choice, I don't bash those that prefer to keep a few, even if they take them to the moon.

With the weather and temps swing we have experiences this yr, spawning is going to be an interesting situation anyway, and again my personal preference and opinion, please leave the bedding bass alone since they are creating the future of your fishing pleasure.

Be safe and always be humble and kind.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Can anyone give an accurate stage of the spawn that the majority of fish are in for this year in these locations?

Oneida
    Cayuga
    Otisco
    A. Bay/Clayton/Cape Vincent
    Henderson Harbor/Chaumont

I plan on fishing a few times in the next few weeks and was just wondering what stage most fish would be in to gauge my techniques accordingly. I know the St. Lawrence can be all over the place with the spawn but any help on these waterways would be appreciated.
    I was at Cayuga a couple weeks ago, all the largemouth my brother and I caught already had bloody tales and most looked spawned out or close to it. I would say there may be another wave of them but you will probably find them in all stages. Don't understand why people have to be that way!

15. Member
    general rule of thumb for every year: basically any lake south of 90 will be in post spawn in June. Lakes north of 90 will be in late spawn-post spawn. The higher elevation you fish, the deeper into the mountains, or farther north you go, the more likely you will find spawning fish. That’s common knowledge for anyone who fishing in NY.

Now the OP wasn’t asking for any “specific” info, and I think bassranger jumped the gun. but I want to provide my $0.02 just provide a little context as to why. And yes, it’s most common with out of staters and downstate NY folks.

Guys spend years and sometimes lifetimes to figure out lakes and find the best spots/baits. No one deserves, or is entitled to that information besides the person who put in the work. nothing is more frustrating than people who expect others to tell them where to go, what to use, and how to fish because they want a good trip. But aren’t willing to put in the legwork to find fish or even to plan their own trip.. Then complain if their trip isnt their idea of “successful” and blame those who provided the info.

If people want specific info, and just want to catch a lot of fish by putting in as little work as possible and want a scapegoat, then they need to hire a guide. Otherwise, No one’s success should be based on the work done by others.

again I have no problem with what the OP posted and think basic info should be shared.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 06-05-2022 at 04:51 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    general rule of thumb for every year: basically any lake south of 90 will be in post spawn in June. Lakes north of 90 will be in late spawn-post spawn. The higher elevation you fish, the deeper into the mountains, or farther north you go, the more likely you will find spawning fish. That’s common knowledge for anyone who fishing in NY.

Now the OP wasn’t asking for any “specific” info, and I think bassranger jumped the gun. but I want to provide my $0.02 just provide a little context as to why. And yes, it’s most common with out of staters and downstate NY folks.

Guys spend years and sometimes lifetimes to figure out lakes and find the best spots/baits. No one deserves, or is entitled to that information besides the person who put in the work. nothing is more frustrating than people who expect others to tell them where to go, what to use, and how to fish because they want a good trip. But aren’t willing to put in the legwork to find fish or even to plan their own trip.. Then complain if their trip isnt their idea of “successful” and blame those who provided the info.

If people want specific info, and just want to catch a lot of fish by putting in as little work as possible and want a scapegoat, then they need to hire a guide. Otherwise, No one’s success should be based on the work done by others.

again I have no problem with what the OP posted and think basic info should be shared.
    Ecobb,

You closing statement is spot on, and you are correct that experience is your best guide, so putting in your 'seat time' in anything will teach you how to read whatever terrain you are trying to navigate, whether it is fishing or shooting. There is a reason why some shoot 1/2" MOA while other can barely hit the target, cause they take the time to go out and put in 500 round a week at least.

Experience is a very hard teacher, so go ahead and pay your dues, since it will be well worth it in the end.

Be safe and stay hydrated.

17. Member
    Thank you all for your help with this topic. As the OP, I meant no disrespect to the folks that put the legwork in for unknown amounts of time to find the best means of catching fish. I appreciate what you do and how you fish and would never ask for specifics of location/bait/etc. I was just asking a question about general stage of the spawn and post spawn and appreciate the respectful information I have received. Here's to a great summer and some really nice fish to all those that respect the resource. Best wishes on the water.

18. Member
    Are these forums about boasting or sharing information? No one expects to get handed way points when they ask a question about a fishery.

I wish someone told me to avoid Cayuga recently, they were getting busy right in front of me, no shame.

19. Member
    I'm going to Black Lake on Saturday..........I LOVE BL and always have a great week there. However, I don't take bass fishing as seriously as all you boys. I rather catch walleye (never caught one on BL) crappie and pike because they make a fine meal around the camp fire. I have hot dogs just in case all we catch is bass because no one in their right mind would eat them things.........LOL . . .

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I'm going to Black Lake on Saturday..........I LOVE BL and always have a great week there. However, I don't take bass fishing as seriously as all you boys. I rather catch walleye (never caught one on BL) crappie and pike because they make a fine meal around the camp fire. I have hot dogs just in case all we catch is bass because no one in their right mind would eat them things.........LOL . . .
    Hey, may be you should take a trip over to Chippewa or Goose bay while you are at Black lake, and since you like them, I would pray that you would catch a bunch of pike so that I wouldn't loose any lures to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast