MAKING THE SWITCH FROM GLASS TO TIN

Hi BBC,
    Seriously thinking of making a switch from a traditional glass bass boat to an aluminum, LUND type of multi-species, PRO- V type rig. I have been in traditional Rangers since I started bass fishing many years ago. However, we just purchased a cabin in 1000 Islands and will be spending a lot of time in the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario. I'm getting older and kind of like the extra depth of this type of boat. What say the experts? Other than drawing a little more depth, are there any major drawbacks I'm missing? I would still rig the boat with a spot-lock type of TM and quality electronics. Any input is appreciated. TIA

2. Member
    I have owned and fished out of a lot of boats. I am sure that Lund is a very fine boat.

When I go from a normal bass boat layout up front to a V style hull, I can never get comfortable with the narrow V style front deck. If you can do that, it will be a fine boat. I just can't myself. I like having different rigs on the deck within easy reach. I like room for my feet or room to kneel if I have to lip a fish or get a lure free from something. You add the narrow V shape up front, add a trolling motor pedal, add my rods, add my graph and seat pedestal........ and you notice the narrowness of a V hull real quick.

By the way....I LOVE aluminum and will probably never own another glass boat.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

3. Member
    The regular Pro V models are very roomy up front.. The are the same hull as Pro V Bass, but with with more freeboard.

4. Member
    I went from a ranger fisherman to a lund pro v bass and have zero complaints. Absolutely love this boat. The lund is a incredibly solid and stable boat.
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

5. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    GO FOR IT. You will not regret it. I went from a Triton TR21 to a Ranger RT188 . I do not tournament fish anymore and this TIN
    Ranger is perfect for my fishing needs now.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

6. Member
    I had a small glass boat, then bought a new RT 188 and had hull issues. It went back to Ranger twice, and after the second time I sold it. I bought a new 2022 Lund Pro V Bass 1875. The Lund is a great boat and has more storage than you will probably use. The ride is 100% better than my RT 188 in rough water. I have a 200 Pro xs and an Ultrex. I have 30 hours on the new Lund. Each time we take it out, we are amazed of how nice of a boat it is. A friends boat had issues, so we fished four out of my boat for 5 hours. It was a little crowded, but we were casting the entire time. You will not be disappointed if you go with the Lund.
    Last edited by gtfd455; 06-03-2022 at 02:44 PM.
    2022 Lund Pro V Bass 1875
    Mercury 200 Fourstroke Pro XS
    Hummingbird Helix 12 Console & Bow

7. Member
    I went from a 20 foot Skeeter to a Pro V Bass 2075, and what others say about storage and front deck space is accurate. I would also contend that the ride is better in rough water than any fiberglass boat I’ve owned. I’ve had mine on the St. Lawrence running some pretty rough water that I wouldn’t even consider taking a fiberglass bass boat out on.

8. Member
    I had a Skeeter 20 ft deep v fiberglass walleye boat, then a 19 foot Skeeter Deep v walleye boat. Then I bought a 2075 Lund Pro V Bass. The Lund rides smoother than the 19 ft fiberglass deep v and just as smooth as the 20 ft deep v. Way smoother than any traditional bass boat. What shocked me is that the Lund is more solid than both, when you hit waves the Lund is just a dead thud, the fiberglass boats would rattle and were more noisy. Yes, aluminum rides better and quieter than fiberglass, at least that’s the case with the Pro V Bass, it’s a tank.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    Way smoother than any traditional bass boat. What shocked me is that the Lund is more solid than both, when you hit waves the Lund is just a dead thud, the fiberglass boats would rattle and were more noisy. Yes, aluminum rides better and quieter than fiberglass, at least that’s the case with the Pro V Bass, it’s a tank.
    I noticed the same thing. No hollow sound at all. Amazingly solid boat
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

10. Member
    I don't think they really draft that much more than average bass boats, they just have lower decks and taller sides.
    If you're in the Lund price range, give Gatortrax a solid look. I'm a few months into my 21 foot Strike now... and am consistently running big water with the Lund/PNW style boats.

11. Member
    I wouldn't consider trading my Al for a comparable glass rig.....Fisher Pro Hawk 180/Tracker Tournament V18

12. Member
    The only thing I don't like is how narrow the front end is. I fished from the V shaped front ends and there is just not enough room side to side to suit me....but that's just me.

Regarding the specific boat discussed, does Lund still use rivets in the hull of this boat? If they do, that would be another problem for me. I am not a fan of rivets and have seen leaks at rivets. What is the hull warranty regarding a leaking rivet if they still use them?

I would not hesitate to go to aluminum in your shoes, but I just am not sold on this particular boat.
    I spend 95% of my time on the front deck and need room. I just don't sit behind the wheel much .
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    The only thing I don't like is how narrow the front end is. I fished from the V shaped front ends and there is just not enough room side to side to suit me....but that's just me.

Regarding the specific boat discussed, does Lund still use rivets in the hull of this boat? If they do, that would be another problem for me. I am not a fan of rivets and have seen leaks at rivets. What is the hull warranty regarding a leaking rivet if they still use them?

I would not hesitate to go to aluminum in your shoes, but I just am not sold on this particular boat.
    I spend 95% of my time on the front deck and need room. I just don't sit behind the wheel much .
    The Pro V Bass is a great boat, but you need to pick what is right for you. If you don't like rivets and want a wide nose, there are other great boats that have those characteristics. Personally, I prefer rivets, but that is what gives me confidence and one of the reasons I chose a Lund. Have fun shopping, lots of great aluminum boats out there these days.

14. Member
    Thanks for all the input!

15. Member
    While not the same boat you're interested in, the new Lund Tyee I recently bought has the same IPS2 hull. It rides high and dry on the water, handles rough water better than both the 18' and 21' fiberglass bowriders I've had in years past, and as another person above mentioned, it's a very quiet, solid hull. Lund has 70 years of experience making riveted aluminum hulls, and it shows.
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

16. Member
    I own an aluminum multi-species boat (Alumacraft) and love it and concur with the statements above - except for comparing the rough water ride of aluminum vs heavier glass boats. Compare the Lund deep-V vs a Ranger walleye boat (i.e. 620 or 621) and then report back. No bass boat hull is/was designed for Great Lakes type waves but the Nitro ZX series and Ranger 620 series are (as well as Yar-Craft, Tuffy, Recon, etc boats). That said you won't catch me on Erie in 4-5 footers so I will always run aluminum.

17. Banned
    Went from 521 to a 198. 198 more economical but you will get wet in wind and front end light. Not as stable on trolling motor. Overall where I am with my fishing career and age I probably got what I need.

18. Member
    I was in Glass boats all my life. sold my 20ft Champion and got a Lund 1875. zero regrets love it to death. The front deck is wider them my glass boats buy far no narrow front at all. Hold enough gear and rods with half my boxes empty its crazy. it rides much better as well.
    jerrysroadservice@gmail.com
    2017 Lund Pro V Bass 1875