Upper trim pin bushing/ trim position sensor alarm

Hi all,

2019 Merc 250 proxs 4stroke 140 hrs
    Ranger Z521

SN: 2B531340

got an intermittent trim position alarm yesterday. It went away. Got home and found the upper trim pin bushing has moved to starboard side and starting to contact the trim motor. Question…can I drive it back in? All else looks normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very carefully. It's SOFT. use the trim to get all the weight off. I made a tool out of a deep socket and a piece of round stock to keep it from deforming while you tap it in. Add some lock tite.

3. Member
    Thanks. It looks soft. As it has already deformed from hitting the trim motor. Im going to try to make a stepped bit that fits the inside diameter and the outside lip.

the side behind the trim position sensor looks normal and somewhat flush. Are these bushings 2 piece? I.e. one for each side? Wasnt sure if driving the starboard side back in would affect the port side. Hard to tell but it looks like a solid bushing all the way through.

Two pieces. The other side is held in by the trim sensor.
    Several years ago there was a rash of them on the two stokes (mine included). This is the first one I've heard of since then. Might have missed getting some loctite on it.

5. Member
    Thanks. About to start tapping now!

6. Member
    Got it back in with loctite. Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Man, I looked at mine on my 2021 Pro XS 250 and it has done the same thing. You guys didn't remove it anymore than what was sticking out to put the loctite on it, did you? Was it pretty easy to tap back in with the weight off of it? I'll have to make something to tap it with as well, although mine is a tad more smashed in than the OP's.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really should be REPLACED. In a pinch- red liquid loctite and carefully drive it back in FLUSH.

Note: We commonly see this with an engine support that does not provide even/uniform support to both side of the engine. If you're using "sticks"- use TWO of them.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    10-4, thank you! I use the old style that rests on the trailer.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Really should be REPLACED. In a pinch- red liquid loctite and carefully drive it back in FLUSH.

Note: We commonly see this with an engine support that does not provide even/uniform support to both side of the engine. If you're using "sticks"- use TWO of them.
    very interesting…im using the DD26 Fishing motor toter to support during transport. The long rod from lower unit to trailer isnt very practical with how the boat sits on the trailer. Its a single unit with two cushioned ends that appears to engage very well.

note, if it starts to slip out again, Im going to drill/tap two holes on both sides of the pin. Lay a thin piece of stainless over the bushing and pin and bolt it down

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbournein2001 View Post
    very interesting…im using the DD26 Fishing motor toter to support during transport. The long rod from lower unit to trailer isnt very practical with how the boat sits on the trailer. Its a single unit with two cushioned ends that appears to engage very well.

note, if it starts to slip out again, Im going to drill/tap two holes on both sides of the pin. Lay a thin piece of stainless over the bushing and pin and bolt it down
    I would not recommend altering the design- this is the type of thing that really should be addressed under Warranty, for safety reasons.

I seriously doubt the DD26 has anything, whatsoever to do with the bushing walking out (that's a well-designed unit).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Get it to a authorized Mercury dealer and replace.