Another first on the Yough

I actually had two first on the Yough today. Luckily I was fishing with Mike from MD. We had been fishing for about three hours when I landed my first bass. Then just a few mins later I made a cast and as soon as my lure hit the water there was an explosion on the surface. I had caught my first trout on the Yough. While I have certainly caught my fair share of trout this was the first here.

In my excitement I miss handled the trout and ended up with the treble hook going through my huk glove into my knuckle. At the same time all three treble hooks grabbed deeply into the trout. So know I have this nice trout hooked with three treble hooks at the same time attached to my knuckle joint. Immediate pain as I called to Mike to secure the fish. It felt like an eternity until Mike secured to trout and extracted the hooks.

There was no question because of the location of the hook we were not going to make an attempt to extract the hook. Another problem was we didn't have a pair of wire cutters to separate the hook from the lure. I did manage to get the hook off the split ring as the cost of great pain.

Mike drove the boat back to the dock and secured everything for me. In the mean time I was unsure if I could make the hour trip home. I then sent Steinybass a text explaining what happened and told him I might drop my boat off at his house to go to the Somerset ER instead of Johnstown. Mike offered to take my boat to his home but I though I could make it to Somerset and home.

When I got to Scott's I really could not use my left hand. He had just got home from work. Steinybass then parked my rig, drove me to the ER. He stayed with my for the three hours and was even in the room when they surgically removed the hook. I swear I heard him giving the doctor directions on hook removal procedures. Afterwards he drove my Jeep and boat home and then my wife took him back home.

While I certainly never caught a Yough trout or sunk a hook into my hand the true firsts where having two great friends help me that day. I'm really not sure how I would of freed that trout from the lure with out getting more hooks in my hand. Mike saved the day. Also not that many people wiling to spends hours in the ER.

Thanks guys.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

2. Member
    What a story! Thanks for sharing the adventure.....good to have great friends!

Glad to hear everything went ok. I always try to stay away from trebles never got one in me but i did get one in my pants shirt and fish once. Boy was that fun stuck like that.

Congrats on the trout.

4. Member
    Thanks for the good words. Glad and Happy to help.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

5. Member
    I wasn't happy they had to cut my $40 Huk fishing glove in half. Lol. I just replaced it. In addition I now have a new pair of Dykes for the boat. These should make short work of any hook or split ring with ease.

My finger is still about twice as big as normal and slowly is hurting less.

While I do have a first aid kit I decided to spend some money and make it better. I figured that is a good investment on future emergencies. Alcohol, peroxide, hand cleaner etc.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

6. Member
    dang, glad you are ok now at least