Thread: No Tresspassing

No Tresspassing

So I have a question for all you Potomac fishermen. The other day I was going to fish inside the Mt Vernon Yacht club creek which is off of Dogue Creek. At the mouth of the marina is a sign that says among other things 'No Fishing'. I always thought there was no restrictions to public waters (with the exception of the military installations up and down the river). I also think Quantico Marina also has a sign that says 'No Fishing'. I did not attempt to enter the Mt Vernon Yacht club but wanted to get thoughts on this.

2. Member
    areas that have been dredged and blocked off can be restricted if it was not “navigable “ water. I am not familiar with that particular marina with no trespassing. Call the local game warden if you want the correct information.

3. Member
    If you have ever been to the back of that area it is obvious that it is a natural creek. If you look at Google Earth you can see where the stream runs in on the upper end. It's been 4 or 5 years since I've been in there, but I used to fish that area alot when I regularly launched at Pohick.

4. Member
    I fished in that marina a couple weeks ago. A few people milling around their boats. Nobody said anything to me. worst they can do is tell you to leave.

5. Member
    Have fished in there many times without an issue, except all I ever got was dinks. Now the docks out front, and if there is grass, is a much different story. Never fished Quantico Marina, not sure they can legally regulate it given its location on the River. While it is a m8litary facility, I am pretty certain it is attached to the town of Quantico, which is not part of the base.

6. Member
    Its navigable water and therefore cannot be restricted. I went through this years ago. I was fishing a tournament in there, and someone told me it was a private marina and I had to leave. I had done all my research beforehand, so I politely refused. He said he was going to call the police, which he did. The police officer talked to him, the guy pointed at me. The had a brief conversation and the police officer left. Feel free. Its perfectly legal to fish there.