Here’s a new one for me….

I recently installed a second unit at the bow of my Phoenix. I was lazy and took power from the 10 gauge wire which was also powering my other unit. It didn’t work. So I abandoned and went back to the way the original two were wired at the factory, totally took the third unit out of the equation for now. Now, I can get power to the bow unit, but then when I turn the console unit on, it turns both off and vice versa. It’s not blowing fuses or tripping breakers because you can repeat this over and over. What the heck has happened that now my graphs won’t both run the way they were set up from the factory?

2. Member
    You have bad connections in your line, maybe at the battery. You are getting enough voltage drop to shut the units off when you turn them both on. Check your voltage at the console and the bow with a volt meter to make sure you are getting 12 plus volts. The 10 gauge wiring at the bow should be able to run both units just fine.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 05-31-2022 at 10:20 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    You have bad connections in your line, likely at the battery. Check your voltage at the console and the bow with a volt meter. The 10 gauge wiring at the bow should be able to run both units just fine.
    Yes and always has. It should have been able to run 3 in my opinion. The only connections I ever changed were the ones at the bow when installing the new unit. So maybe I just really suck at connecting wire.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman1282 View Post
    Yes and always has. It should have been able to run 3 in my opinion. The only connections I ever changed were the ones at the bow when installing the new unit. So maybe I just really suck at connecting wire.
    What type of connection did you use to tie both to the 10g power feed?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    What type of connection did you use to tie both to the 10g power feed?
    Standard butt connector. That didn’t give me any power whatsoever (except for about 5 minutes right after I installed then apparently something went wrong). But then I hooked just the one unit to it using a heat shrink connector and that’s when the current issue started with the apparent voltage drop on that line. I hope there isn’t some issue with the blue sea fuse block causing it I just ran dedicated wires to the bow from the locker in order to power the units separately. If I hook that to the fuse block and still get the voltage drop issue then idk what that means.

6. Member
    Well..... So you have a bad connection from battery to fuse block?
    Or a badd connection at the fuse block?
    The fuse block internal connections are bad?

I would eliminate the fuse block as an issue, 10 ga or more from battery to fuse block with good solid connections, depending on what is all drawing power from that fuse block you may need more gauge from battery to fuse block. Make sure fuse is next to your battery probably a 50amp. Then 10ga from fuse block to each unit, good solid connections, your issues will go away.
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360