Thread: Investor/trader

Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar

Investor/trader

I read in here often and post now and then….. I think many in here would be if it from understanding if you are trading or investing. Just an observation but would be good to post if you are trading or investing when you add to a post or comment etc.

I trade, and don’t really talk much about investments. Some on here I see talk mutual funds and etfs and would lend to believe they are investing not trading. Just a brief synopsis. Carry on

2. Member
    Anything I'm buying is an investment. I don't really bother trading since I'm mostly trying to build an income stream with some capital appreciation for the long term. That being said, if something changes I may sell it but I go into a purchase with the view of holding it long term

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    We should never assume the time frame of any trades or investments. Sometimes I change my mind a day later on what is a trade or investment. Alot of times, I enter trades of names that are long term investments. Like TSLA, I will buy and sell shares on a regular basis, but I always hold a position for the long term.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    I don't purchase anything without the intent to retain it long term.
    One ... tax implications, Two ... my research time, Three ... safety.

5. Member
    Boring long-term investor here. 3-fund portfolio (Boglehead). Total market index funds, adherence to a specified asset allocation with a strict and defined investor policy statement (i.e. rebalancing bands, etc.), maintain a high savings rate *yawn*. I come in here to read and comment occasionally as well. The speculation that takes place at times is a sick form of entertainment to me. To each their own as I can appreciate everyone's individual approach to growing their wealth. Wish everyone the very best!

6. Member
    I am a long-term invester. By far most of our (my wife and I) wealth is in my 401k at work. I have worked for same company for almost 35 years. We have limited investments inside our 401K, so it is distributed among (4) index funds.

We have a decent amount of Traditional and Roth IRA’s. These are spread out in about (10) different funds.

In a few years, I will have the opportunity to do a roll-over of my 401K to a traditional IRA. I am not sure if I will take this option ir not. It will allow me to self-direct my 401K. I can choose any number of investments.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    In a few years, I will have the opportunity to do a roll-over of my 401K to a traditional IRA. I am not sure if I will take this option ir not. It will allow me to self-direct my 401K. I can choose any number of investments.
    One note ... 401k plans are protected by Federal law, IRAs are protected by state law.
    Not sure on what protections you'd have in Alabama, but I'd surely take a look at it.
    And I'd consider any later implications if you chose to move, having domicile elsewhere.

8. Member
    I'm still primarily a trader. I do pay a lot of attention to investment stocks and have done that sort of thing, but trading is my thing

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    One note ... 401k plans are protected by Federal law, IRAs are protected by state law.
    Not sure on what protections you'd have in Alabama, but I'd surely take a look at it.
    And I'd consider any later implications if you chose to move, having domicile elsewhere.

Thanks Jim. Good info to consider.