Boat Search Is On

So we're close to selling our 2016 Tracker 195 and should have it gone by Tuesday. We're looking at used 2018+ 190s and 195s, but now the Ranger RT188 has come in to play along with the Vexus. It sounds like the Ranger quality has worsened since Tracker bought them out. Does anyone have any opinions on what years we should be sticking to for the RT188, I was hoping to try and get one from an original owner so we could still have some type of warranty so the latest at this point would be a 2017. I'm assuming Tracker bought Ranger recently. Any thoughts. Our budget is around $30k.

I would not go beyond a 2019. Tracker made a few changes early on, some good some bad, and continues to change out commercial items to lower costs.
    The one early change they made that is a game changer for me is eliminating the extruded aluminum keel the full length of the hull.
    It is not just the extruded keel, they also eliminated the press drawn support ribs running the length of the hull.
    I assume this was done to fit the manufacturing process into their robotic welders, but the end result is a weaker hull design.
    I have a friend with a 2008 Tracker 190 and over the last 10 years he has dozens of instances of repairing leaks around broken welds in hull stiffeners. It was returned to the factory twice but the rest of the time he had it repaired locally.
    It wasn’t so much that it leaked, as it was that it kept leaking, that is a design problem.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    So does that mean you would stay away from any newer trackers? Just trying to gauge if we should just buy a brand new Tracker 190 or look for a Ranger RT188 in a year before Tracker started manufacturing them.

Well I just noticed Bass Ro Group bought Ranger in 2014, so even the 2017s would fall under their manufacturing. On our 2016 we noticed an the exterior the wood frame outlines in the aluminum. Didn’t really care for that.
    Last edited by phillyphan; 05-30-2022 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Update

Yes, Tracker didn’t make significant changes right away, it occurred when they moved the manufacturing from Flippin to MO. I am not sure if it showed up in the 2019 or 2020 models, but this is the hull design I prefer. This is my 2016 hull.
    Almost forgot —- When boat manufacturing moved to MO so did trailer mfg. That means the Ranger C channel trailer was replaced with a rectangular beam trailer. This is a controversial topic, but I have owned boats and trailers for over 50 years and hands down prefer a C channel trailer.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Thanks for the input, really appreciate it.

6. Member
    Let's be honest, what brand boat has not taken steps lately to release a less quality product in the price point most of us are looking? Makes me mad. Especially buying aluminum. I just want a boat that floats and if I accidentally bump something it's good.

I've had my issues with my 198p but nothing that would make me want to get rid of the boat. I still think Rangers at their price point are the best option. Still nicer than a Tracker as far as the little things like carpet, consoles, floor is aluminum not wood, etc.. I agree with Bill though. I do not like the new trailers. No shame in finding you another Tracker as well. I had a Tracker before my Ranger and loved it almost as much. It was a great boat. The resale value is definitely better in the Ranger though. Just something else to think about unless this is your forever boat.
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke

7. Member
    I think we found a deal on a 2021 Tracker 190 with the 115 ProXs on it. That’s what we’re going with. I found a 2017 RT188 wither everything we were looking for, but with it being out of warranty since the guy selling was the second owner my father in law chose to pass on it. I think I would’ve still went with it, but no biggie. We will be back in the water soon.

8. Member
    I have a 2015 and it has been a tank. I replaced the cheesy plastic drain plug with a SS Atwood and it hasn't leaked a drop.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver