Split ring/swivel to flukes

Hey guys I’m trying to experiment with a split right to a EWG hook connected to a swivel for flukes. So hook - split ring - swivel - main line.

Any suggestions on sizes for these? I am looking at the Gamakatsu superline swivel and split rings.

Thanks
    Last edited by Birdman2136; 05-29-2022 at 05:06 PM.

2. Member
    What are you trying to get the Fluke to do.Tie direct to hook works fine.Also using a swivel a couple of feet from Fluke works great.

3. Member
    I’m not exactly sure other than I saw a guy set it up this way using a specific fluke.. essentially the fluke had an amazing shimmy fall similar to a senko type fall. I wanted to utilize that as well as the other fish catching benefits of a fluke.

If you're looking at Gamakatsu, you might look to the ringed Superline EWG hooks. They come paired to a welded ring, that way you're not having to worry about an additional failure point with the possibility of the knot getting into the crotch of the split ring. VMC makes a similar ringed EWG hook, in fact I think they were the first to offer it. I'm just not a fan of their EWGs so haven't used it, but Seth Feider uses them for flipping and punching so I'm sure they work well too.

I've personally never done it with a split ring, though have tried a swivel about 18" in front before. I think the reasons for doing that are twofold: First, it helps with line twist. Second, and more importantly in my opinion, it adds some weight to get the bait down. I can't remember the size I used, at the time I think I just used some small ball bearing swivels I bought for replacing sticky barrel swivels on some underspins and spinnerbaits I had.

One problem I had was forgetting that there was a swivel so that I ended up reeling into my tip top guide a couple times. Makes me cringe just thinking about it! I've since gone to using the Big Bite Baits Jerk Minnow as they cast better and sink faster than others I've tried. Never felt the need to use the swivel since making that change.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    If you're looking at Gamakatsu, you might look to the ringed Superline EWG hooks. They come paired to a welded ring, that way you're not having to worry about an additional failure point with the possibility of the knot getting into the crotch of the split ring. VMC makes a similar ringed EWG hook, in fact I think they were the first to offer it. I'm just not a fan of their EWGs so haven't used it, but Seth Feider uses them for flipping and punching so I'm sure they work well too.

I've personally never done it with a split ring, though have tried a swivel about 18" in front before. I think the reasons for doing that are twofold: First, it helps with line twist. Second, and more importantly in my opinion, it adds some weight to get the bait down. I can't remember the size I used, at the time I think I just used some small ball bearing swivels I bought for replacing sticky barrel swivels on some underspins and spinnerbaits I had.

One problem I had was forgetting that there was a swivel so that I ended up reeling into my tip top guide a couple times. Makes me cringe just thinking about it! I've since gone to using the Big Bite Baits Jerk Minnow as they cast better and sink faster than others I've tried. Never felt the need to use the swivel since making that change.

I didn't realize Gamakatsu had a hook like that. Might have to try that out! Thanks.. as I look into the subject more swivel or no swivel just comes down to a matter of preference. I have the hooks need to use the fluke without the swivel so maybe I'll go from there and see what comes of it.

6. Member
    Best thing I have found to make a fluke sink is the little weights made by Sebile. They look like a skirt collar and you just slide them onto the hook.

Allen

7. Member
    What Drew said works fine for me. I also like using a screw lock threaded into the nose and then use your favorite wacky rig hook in the screw lock loop. Tactical Bassin got me onto it but it leaves the fluke completely free to go wherever and erratic. Hook up ratio is good because they seem to hit it head first still.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets