Traverse Bay Trip - Too Early?

I'm coming down to the wire and have to decide whether to push back my trip dates from 6/5-10 to the next week of 6/11-16. That's the latest I can push it back.
    I'm trying to hit the bigger fish moving into shallows. Not the spawn. I personally don't prefer bed fishing. So, from what I see and hear about the water temps, things are definitely behind schedule. At this rate, that extra week may not even have them up. But, I'm new to this and realize there are many factors at play. I don't mind fishing deeper on the breaks if they're not shallow. But, will they even have made that move with temps in the high 40's to low 50's? I know the guides and can catch them anytime. But, for looking for some advice for the best shot at the pre-spawn, shallows bite. I figured this would be the folks to ask.
    Thanks for any insights. They're greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    What are water temps right now?

3. Member
    From what I can gather, I'm seeing 43 in the West Bay and 41 in the East Bay. I understand that those temps will vary throughout the bay especially in the shallows. But, that still seems a bit chilly to me.

It's early, but I've seen some pics posted recently. Quality fish, but didn't hear anything about numbers. Takes long time for that bay to warm up.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalliehound View Post
    From what I can gather, I'm seeing 43 in the West Bay and 41 in the East Bay. I understand that those temps will vary throughout the bay especially in the shallows. But, that still seems a bit chilly to me.
    Where do you find temps for the bays at? Every time I look I feel like all I can are find historical averages.

6. Member
    I'm sure they're the guys that know how to catch them are catching them. My thing is the shallow water bite before or after bedding. Preferably before since they'll be bigger. I figure if I'm spending this much money and travel time, I should aim towards what I prefer. Unfortunately, it's a small, ever-changing window that basically takes dumb luck to hit. Just trying to increase my odds

7. Member
    seatemperature.info.
    You have to type it in exactly (below) or it won't find it when you search.
    West (east) arm grand traverse bay.
    I honestly don't know how accurate it is. But, it seems pretty close.

If those 41 degree temps in the East Bay are accurate, I would push it back a week. There's a big tournament there this weekend that you could probably get some details from.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

9. Member
    Reports are now that there's not much water over 50 yet. But, should keep warming slowly. And with the full moon next Tuesday, they're going to be stirring.

i was there over the weekend. i'd push it back. water is cold. there's fish to be caught but its not set up to be what you're planning travel around yet. weather forecast doesn't look like its going to help much either. When it hits though its gonna go boooom.

11. Member
    Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that it's not going to be the trip I had hoped. And, unfortunately, I can't push it back any further.
    But, like you said, there's fish to be caught. I just have to try a less favorite way which is fine. It will be great to get back out on the bay no matter what the catching is like.

Quote Originally Posted by smalliehound View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that it's not going to be the trip I had hoped. And, unfortunately, I can't push it back any further.
    But, like you said, there's fish to be caught. I just have to try a less favorite way which is fine. It will be great to get back out on the bay no matter what the catching is like.
    Good luck. I had the same thing happen to me the 3rd week of June last year on Little Traverse Bay. Fish just weren't up. Dink fest

13. Member
    Water temps say 58 now on seatemps.com