Thread: Fuel Prime Bulb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Hi Yam911. I installed the primer bulb in the compartment shelf on the starboard side. If you look at the pic, I installed it on the rear line of the filter but I cannot get it to prime. Doesn't even feel like it is sucking any fuel at all. The rear line appears to be running to the motor. If I turn the keypad on I can hear the fuel pump running, at least that's what I think it is.
    What did I do wrong? Wrong line, which seems typical of me. Oh yes, the fuel flow arrow is pointing to the motor. When I first looked at it, I thought it would be the first line ( one closest to the bilge area.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    If the primer ball is positioned after the filter element (between the element and the motor) then it is trying to suck fuel. It pumps out much much better than it sucks in.

If the primer ball is positioned before the filter element (between the tank and the element) then it will pump fuel through the filter and on to the motor.

Right now it positioned between the filter and the motor. So either way it's positioned, it should work, right? One thing that worries me is it will not pump up hard as usual, like there's no gas in it.
    It worked fine before I moved it. Any suggestions?

3. Member
    IMO it works better when upstream from the filter.

If the filter is replaced without having manually filled the filter with gasoline (messy) the bulb is trying to pull all of the air out of the filter. It does not suck gasoline as well as it pushes gasoline. It sucks air even less. It sucks at sucking.

As far as I can tell, it's between the motor and filter. Same as it would be at the rigging tube. Last time I used it was loading it on the trailer, it kept lurching as if running out of gas. So now that the bulb doesn't pump up like it should, may have to get a new bulb. Going to drop it in the lake in the morning so hopefully it will do ok but have my doubt. Just hope it's not in the motor. Will let you know.
    Thanks Yam

Went to the lake today. Cranked fine, idle, and ran as it always had. So guess I'm good for another day........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12