Sometimes you can't win

I finally caught a very rare three day weekend off from work and knew I had to do a "quick" service on my Vault hub. Rear seal leaked bad and wear ring was scored. Finally got the ring off, (major PITA) and went to install the new and could not get it on. I followed every suggestion I could find on BBC about using PVC pipe etc. The new ring bent, so that was a no go, and in the process when I went to install the rear seal in the hub, it dropped on the floor, and of course I stepped on it bending it as well. So three days, no boat and being it's the holiday weekend will have to wait until Tues to get anything going. Still have no idea how I'm going to get the new wear ring on......

you have a pm
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

3. mikesxpress
    I have always warmed them up a bit and they slip on.

4. Member
    I put a ice pack on axle and dropped sleeve into boiling water and got it on.

5. Member
    I've installed how lots of wear sleeves and just use old inner bearing turned around and put the PVC on bearing and tap it into place. Haven't bent one yet using this method.

6. Member
    I made a driver with galvanized pipe and couplings that I've found works much better than the PVC and old bearing method. Believe it was a 1 1/2" female threaded coupling that fit mine (1.62" wear sleeve), but I took the wear sleeve in tot he hardware store to find the one that worked best. I used a 6" pipe and cap on the outside so I could hit the cap to drive it.

7. Member
    Always buy (2) more stuff than you think you'll need.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Always buy (2) more stuff than you think you'll need.
    At my age, you would think I would have learned that decades ago.