Thread: CC question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CC question

Maine is a constitutional carry state as of a couple of years ago but for many years we had to have a permit. I was talking to a buddy who had a permit and let it lapse because it's no longer required but we were talking about whether it still makes sense to go through the process. He's under the impression that it offers a little bit more legal protection/privilege to have a permit. I've never carried concealed and I don't even know if they still issue them. The only scenario I can come up with that it possible gets into fish & game laws where having a loaded weapon in a vehicle might be considered hunting from a motor vehicle. What say you?

Disclaimer: I'm not treating this as legal advice so speak freely

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you don’t have a permit, you don’t have the same reciprocity as if you do. You are treated as if you have no permit in other states.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Yeah travelling to other states would be the only benefit. Too bad some of the states think that you need their permission to exercise your right that is acknowledged in the bill of rights.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If you don’t have a permit, you don’t have the same reciprocity as if you do. You are treated as if you have no permit in other states.
    And this is the reason I still renew mine.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Luckily I have a lifetime permit and don't need to worry about renewing it.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    And this is the reason I still renew mine.
    Yep

7. Member
    I am law enforcement so I don't need one, but I still have one for several reasons. First being that an officer could question the legitimacy of my credentials, at which point I could refer him to my CPL. Second, if I were to quit, be fired, become disabled etc... I don't want any lapse in my ability to carry. Lastly (although I doubt this would happen), the state could decide to stop issuing new CPLs at some point, and only allow those who currently have them to maintain them. It costs me $115 every few years and a trip to the county clerk's office, and in my mind it is worth it to maintain it.

I used to get CCW non-resident permits for NH and Maine. They are now permitless carry states and I don’t get the permits anymore. Vermont has always been a permitless carry. I freely travel from Vermont to NH and Maine.

Permit states do not have reciprocity with Vermont.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. Banned
    The only advantages of the permit here are no nix check at purchase and reciprocity

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    The only advantages of the permit here are no nix check at purchase and reciprocity
    A permit allows you to purchase a new firearm without a background check?

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    This is the reason I renew mine. I travel MO and OK and arrive at boat ramps in the wee hours of the morning. There have been a few times having that protections has felt needed.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Not sure about every state, but to have a carry permit, the process is a whole lot stricter then the check they do when you purchase a gun with out one.

Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    I am law enforcement so I don't need one, but I still have one for several reasons. First being that an officer could question the legitimacy of my credentials, at which point I could refer him to my CPL. Second, if I were to quit, be fired, become disabled etc... I don't want any lapse in my ability to carry. Lastly (although I doubt this would happen), the state could decide to stop issuing new CPLs at some point, and only allow those who currently have them to maintain them. It costs me $115 every few years and a trip to the county clerk's office, and in my mind it is worth it to maintain it.
    As a law enforcement officer, active or retired, you can carry under the provisions of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA). It’s been in effect since the Bush Administration. Once retired you must re-qualify annually with your former department, or have a certified instructor re-qualify you each year. It costs me $20.00 and 50 rounds of ammo a year. I, along with several retired co-workers, have re-qualified each year with a certified instructor who is a retired Marshal. He, the instructor, has been quite clear on carrying under LEOSA vs. carrying under a state issued CCP. LEOSA has far fewer restrictions on when and where you can carry. Once you acquire a state issued CCP then you must adhere to the restrictions determined by your state. I what I’d choose.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    Luckily I have a lifetime permit and don't need to worry about renewing it.
    Same here

15. Member
    Some businesses have permitted carry only posted on their property, this is why I keep mine.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

16. Member
    Every time I purchase a firearm and present my CCDW card, the person behind the counter has frequently said, “you just made my job a lot easier”.

I need to renew mine before September, 5 years goes by quick.

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Ga just became a cc state but I still will keep my ccw permit active for when I travel.....

The biggest benefits are knowledge, not knowing or negligence of the law is not a defense. Having more information and additional view points to assist you. Traveling, and potential other benefits in my state a current permit helps your buying process.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    expidites the process

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I used to get CCW non-resident permits for NH and Maine. They are now permitless carry states and I don’t get the permits anymore. Vermont has always been a permitless carry. I freely travel from Vermont to NH and Maine.

Permit states do not have reciprocity with Vermont.

Then we have Massachusetts - the one place it feels critical to carry in...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast