Daiwa Tatula SV TW 70 Line Capacity Question

How many yards will this reel hold with 15 LB J-Braid?

Daiwa Tatula SV TW 70H

J Braid X8 is thinner than the X4. 15 is roughly 0.19mm which will be right at 100 yards.

I've been fishing 30# Daiwa Samurai on mine since I got it, mostly fishing 1/4 oz poppers, Shower Blow 777, and other sub 1/2 oz top water baits. It holds plenty to cast as far as I'd want to set the hook with this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Daiwa Tatula SV TW 70H

J Braid X8 is thinner than the X4. 15 is roughly 0.19mm which will be right at 100 yards.

I've been fishing 30# Daiwa Samurai on mine since I got it, mostly fishing 1/4 oz poppers, Shower Blow 777, and other sub 1/2 oz top water baits. It holds plenty to cast as far as I'd want to set the hook with this line.
    Perfect! I plan on using the reel for weightless trick worms and wacky rigs with either a 1/16 or 1/8 ounce head!

4. Member
    That spool is awfully deep for 15# braid. A wider, larger diameter but shallower spool like an Alphas SV or 105 SV spool might handle that line better without dig in. I'd be throwing 10# flouro for those baits on that reel. I do with those exact same baits on and heads on my Alphas SV around docks. I did use 20# braid for a while and didn't have dig in issues as long as my drag was set correctly though but that spool is shallower which helps keep the line more compact and resistant to dig in. Just my 2 cents. I have the same reel but as an Alphas TW. Going to put 16# flouro on that one and skip big plastics and jigs on a H rod.

Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    That spool is awfully deep for 15# braid. A wider, larger diameter but shallower spool like an Alphas SV or 105 SV spool might handle that line better without dig in. I'd be throwing 10# flouro for those baits on that reel. I do with those exact same baits on and heads on my Alphas SV around docks. I did use 20# braid for a while and didn't have dig in issues as long as my drag was set correctly though but that spool is shallower which helps keep the line more compact and resistant to dig in. Just my 2 cents. I have the same reel but as an Alphas TW. Going to put 16# flouro on that one and skip big plastics and jigs on a H rod.
    What if I put about 20 to 30 yards of 14 pound mono as backing then attach the 15 pound braid? BTW nice setup! Only reason why I want to use braid is because I really like it for wacky rigging in the grass as I can give it a good flick and the grass comes off much easier than fluorocarbon.

6. Member
    That seems reasonable.

Update... I think I need to reduce the mono backing or just directly attach the 15lb braid? Not sure how much backing I used but I'm getting close to the backing, and I was only throwing a 1/16 oz weighted wacky rig. I'm going to try this over the weekend with a weightless trick worm and see how that goes.

I used only a couple wraps of mono around the spool then attached the braid. Just enough to prevent line slippage on the spool. You could use a little more than that going with 15# braid, but it isn't necessary. Have you had any dig in problems with such thin braid on there? Unless it's a "true" BFS type set up, I've found that I get a lot of dig in with less than 30# braid.