Anyone have a 2001 225 Optimax XL or Powerhead for sale?

At the point where I think I need to replace mine and want to continue using same rigging with VDO Early Smartcraft Gauges.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial Number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Serial # 0T385093

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That powerhead is now NLA through Mercury.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Any recommended alternative options in that case?

There's a rebuilt Yamaha 2003 HPDI with controls for sale in the Motors listings for $6800. I'd be all over that if my Opti was down.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21 Outrage View Post
    Any recommended alternative options in that case?
    I would encourage you to consider investing the money into something considerably newer (for which parts might be available for a reasonable period of time).

8. Member
    Thanks Don, for all of your help. I ordered a new Suzuki DF250AP that should arrive in a month. Mercury’s lead time was 57+ weeks and I didn’t want ongoing issues to eat into next season. I’ve run the motor for 25 hours so far this year and other than the rough idle/very minor surging at certain rpm’s and loss of 500rpm it’s still running reasonably well. As I’ve replaced so many rather expensive parts in recent years and have all the compatible rigging, I’m debating keeping as a backup/for the future and rebuilding the power head but am I crazy?

I’d imagine it’s worth more parted out than whole but would appreciate any insights as I’ve never replaced a motor before.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely a better ROI parting it out (without investing more in it).

10. Member
    That’s very helpful Don, I really appreciate the insight - thank you!