Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat trailer license plates

Will be driving through Kentucky, Ohio and Wisconsin this Sunday. Tennessee does not require registering our boat trailers, therefore no plates required. I want this to be an uneventful drive, you guys think the State Police would pull me for not having plates?
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

2. Member
    Never had any issues or heard of any in WI
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    Will be driving through Kentucky, Ohio and Wisconsin this Sunday. Tennessee does not require registering our boat trailers, therefore no plates required. I want this to be an uneventful drive, you guys think the State Police would pull me for not having plates?
    I mean, what are your options? Have a good trip.
    2014 920/SHO

Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    I mean, what are your options? Have a good trip.
    Run to DMV and get a plate, option for out of state traveling.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

5. Member
    Shouldn't matter as long as your boat is registered in Tenn.

6. Member
    There is a possibility of that happening. However since you are out of state, you won’t be issued any citations.

happens often here with people from states that don’t need trailer registrations traveling through. They get pulled over, police will verify that trailers do not have to be registered and they’ll let you go.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Banned
    I can't imagine they even look unless you did something else wrong. I've seen expire temp tags over 2 years expired and their still driving around.

Our state requires a front plate on cars and I've been driving one with no front plate for over 5 years.

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I doubt you'll have any issues at all. When I lived in Bama they didn't require a trailer plate. I drove though many states during the 4 years I lived there, never had a problem.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Thanks guys. I might be putting too much thought into this lol
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

My uncle, who lives in Tennessee, was pulled over here in Arkansas for not having a plate. Nothing came of it, but the cop was new to her job and it took a while to get everything straightened out.

11. Member
    You can get your county tax folks to give you a letter stating TN does not require tags on boat trailers.

12. Member
    Ky doesn’t require a plate on trailer either! I have one cause I spend 5 months at my place in Florida!

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    Thanks guys. I might be putting too much thought into this lol
    Take one off some other boat trailer

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Take one off some other boat trailer
    Now there's a thought lol.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

I haven't put my license plate on my trailers since 2011..... Went from SWFL to Table rock and back.. no issues

16. Member
    I would think that your odds of getting pulled over for that are very small. Not worth considering.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I doubt you'll have any issues at all. When I lived in Bama they didn't require a trailer plate. I drove though many states during the 4 years I lived there, never had a problem.
    Still don't require a trailer plate here. Heck, they don't even title boats here.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

I have never in 34 years of boating and trailering been asked to see a trailer registration. I have towed without a trailer plate for years in some cases long ago and never had a single issue. I've been told to fix trailer lights etc. but not one time has anyone in authority asked to see a trailer plate/registration or anything else.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

19. Member
    You'll be fine in Wisconsin
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Bassin View Post
    You'll be fine in Wisconsin
    I agree, you'll be fine in Wisconsin. The only time I have been pulled over in Wisconsin in 32-years while towing one of my bass boats was when the Polk County Sheriff's Deputy pulled me over to let me know I had no working trailer lights due to my 7-way trailer plug accidentally falling out of my Tundra's 7-way connecter because I didn't push the plug in until the retaining clip was engaged.

The deputy was very pleasant to deal with and he wanted me to be safe since it was 3am in the morning and after I connected the trailer plug the trailer worked great and we went our separate ways.

I've never had an issue with either boat trailer as the Vexus and before it, the Ranger RT188 weighs less than 3k and in MN you don't need to have a license plate for these types of trailer, they just give you a lifetime sticker you put on your trailer and call it good.

You are overthinking this topic just a bit sir.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast