Thread: Black Lake

Black Lake

Anyone been up there yet. I am going in 2 weeks and just want general info like water temps, water levels, weed growth and of course your hot spot GPS #'s..........LOL

2. Member
    Black lake is off limits until June 15 for bass so I doubt you will get many people reporting how the fishing is.

i have heard that guys are getting some decent crappie but the DEC has been out consistently checking for people fishing for bass.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    I hope the crappie bite stays hot as that is my favorite fish to catch/eat but over the years catching 9" fish was almost impossible and now it's 10" minimum.....grrrrr

I hope the DEC catches and FINES those who keep the small crappies and everything else coming over the gunnel because the law is the law but I really think the size limit should be lowered to 8 or 8.5" on crappies on Black Lake.

4. Member
    Ya I’m not sure what the logic was behind it… they put size limits on perch and sunfish at a few lakes by me to test it out before making it statewide. But the lakes they chose are just filled with dinks. 1 in 40 would be a keeper size…

you’d think that if they wanted to increase the size, they would decrease the limits but leave the size restrictions alone
    1995 Ranger 481v

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Black lake just isn't worth it anymore IMO.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Black lake just isn't worth it anymore IMO.
    i agree.. much better lakes that are less of a drive.
    1995 Ranger 481v

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I hope the crappie bite stays hot as that is my favorite fish to catch/eat but over the years catching 9" fish was almost impossible and now it's 10" minimum.....grrrrr

I hope the DEC catches and FINES those who keep the small crappies and everything else coming over the gunnel because the law is the law but I really think the size limit should be lowered to 8 or 8.5" on crappies on Black Lake.
    I agree with the DEC catching and fining anyone keeping under sized fish. Like you said, the law is the law. I also share your dismay at NYS changing the reg's and "increasing" the size of crappie you can keep!

We have a lake near me, Little Lake (AKA, "Cayuta" Lake) that is overwhelmed with stunted crappie. Not good for the crappie population, at least not good for the fisherman seeking them, but whats worst is how it hurts the Bass population and their recruitment. Young bass having to compete with another predator, stunted and overpopulated and for the same size prey hasn't been good for the bass population. No proof that the crappie are to blame, but 15 years of a dwindling bass population (Compared to what it used to be) and the explosion of the crappies can't be coincidence. (Well it could be but...)

Anyway, I'd be willing to wager that dropping the size limits in lakes with this problem by allowing more fish to be removed to reduce the population would allow the crappie population to 're-balance' and begin to foster the growth/size of the crappie.... and the bass.... that fisherman want. But NYS's DEC seems to be incapable of figuring this out. Their solution is to "raise" the size limit?
    Last edited by OBT; 05-31-2022 at 06:44 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    I agree with the DEC catching and fining anyone keeping under sized fish. Like you said, the law is the law. I also share your dismay at NYS changing the reg's and "increasing" the size of crappie you can keep!

We have a lake near me, Little Lake (AKA, "Cayuta" Lake) that is overwhelmed with stunted crappie. Not good for the crappie population, at least not good for the fisherman seeking them, but whats worst is how it hurts the Bass population and their recruitment. Young bass having to compete with another predator, stunted and overpopulated and for the same size prey hasn't been good for the bass population. No proof that the crappie are to blame, but 15 years of a dwindling bass population (Compared to what it used to be) and the explosion of the crappies can't be coincidence. (Well it could be but...)

Anyway, I'd be willing to wager that dropping the size limits in lakes with this problem by allowing more fish to be removed to reduce the population would allow the crappie population to 're-balance' and begin to foster the growth/size of the crappie.... and the bass.... that fisherman want. But NYS's DEC seems to be incapable of figuring this out. Their solution is to "raise" the size limit?
    OMG, you should be teaching classes to NYS DEC Biologist. I love Black Lake but only get there once or twice a year due to it's distance. Over the many years going there, the SMALL crappie population has exploded while the bass fishing has declined each and every year. I will be going there in a week and report back on "my" opinion of the lake this year.