Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone switched from Lowrance to Garmins?

Curious if anyone has switched all of their graphs from Lowrance to Garmin. Any thoughts on the usability of the interface/software, SideVu (vs SS3d), waypoint management, mapping etc?

I can't stand the software/interface of the Humminbirds. Been there, done that.

I'm considering a new boat and tossing around ideas of whether I'd like to switch over to Garmins. I don't know anyone who runs them. I have a 1222 but only use it for LiveScope.
    2023 Puma STS

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Switched about 3-4 yrs ago and not one regret.....you have alot more control with settings than Lowrance......i find that 2d is also better.....Of course Livescope kicks ass......

Since you already have the 1222, assuming you are keeping it for the new boat, look at a pair of 1243xsv. You cant network the GPSMap units with Echomap units.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I switched from Lowrance to Garmin and like the switch. It’s a learning curve for sure but the Garmins seem to be more user friendly than the Lowrance and you defiantly have more control of the sonar settings.
    About the only thing I think Garmin is lacking in is the mapping loaded onto the units but they are getting better with the added mapping chips.

I am gradually moving over. About a year ago I replaced my HDS12 Gen3 on the bow with a 93sv and LiveScope and recently changed it to an Ultra10.
    I thought I would always have my HDS/3D structurescan on the console because I prefer their mapping, Trails and waypoint management.
    As I have gained more experience with Garmin my opinion has softened. To the point that I did a temporary install of the 93sv/GT54 on my console today and plan to start tests tomorrow.
    The jury is still out on trails and maps but I am ok with waypoint management. With the help of ExpertGPS, I can manage them satisfactorily.
    I will let you know in a few weeks if the Garmin gets a permanent install.
    BTW: Lowrance’s ability to overlay selected data on the screen is also powerful. I have my engine data overlaid on my “Driving Screen” which is split between maps and sonar.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    I have been a Lowrance guy forever and just switched from Elite 9-Ti2’s to a Garmin 93SV UHD on the bow and a 106SV Ultra at the tiller. I am really impressed with the 2D, DI and SI of the new units and I am only running a GT54 transducer. The user interface is easy enough to learn with time and networking the two units was a breeze. I do miss the look ahead feature that Lowrance had on their charts as well as being able to view routes without actually navigating to them. Some of the waypoint management seems to be lacking but definitely usable. I will be putting them through the paces for a week in Canada coming up. That will tell me if I made the right decision but I suspect I did.

Relative to Garmin's current mapping, you can always go to this link and zoom in on the map to see the latest available data for each lake of interest. Be sure to select Fishing Chart under Map Options to see all details.

https://maps.garmin.com/en-US/marine/
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    BTW: Lowrance’s ability to overlay selected data on the screen is also powerful. I have my engine data overlaid on my “Driving Screen” which is split between maps and sonar.

Good info. I didn't know Lowrance was the only one that could overlay the engine data.
    2023 Puma STS

8. Member
    I went from all Lowrance to two Garmins and one Lowrance. I love both systems. I kept the Lowrance for the mapping and engine data though. The Garmin mapping is not great for the lakes I fish. I also find Lowrance slightly more intuitive.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

You will want the GT56 transducers.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    Good info. I didn't know Lowrance was the only one that could overlay the engine data.
    Garmin units can also display engine data on the units.

I may have caused some confusion. Garmin can display engine data on a pre designed screen but it does not have the overlay feature where you can display selected data over any screen you choose.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I may have caused some confusion. Garmin can display engine data on a pre designed screen but it does not have the overlay feature where you can display selected data over any screen you choose.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    2023 Puma STS

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'll disagree with Bill.....You can display engine info on different pages. Now its not as "flexible" as Lowrance where you can move it any wheres you please, but there are 2 preset styles, box in each corner or a single block on the side. And with that, you can swap each info reading with another. Example, if one was the NE coordinates and you didnt want it, you can change it to Engine Temp. Those boxes are fixed in place, you can move them around or make it smaller but you do have a choice.

Here are the two examples of how i have mine setup on a full mapping page and map/sonar page.

Thanks Couillion, this is very helpful.
    I finished my drive screen today and adding the engine data was super easy. Water pressure is showing zero because I have a new Merc 4 stroke and it did not come with a water pressure sensor. I have one on order but it has not been delivered.
    Actually, I think I like this approach better than Lowrance's approach.
    I spent quite a lot of time on the maps, I found the colors to be distracting and was wishing they were more transparent. I finally settled on making colored bands to define my fishing zones, jury is still out.

Bill, I like your setup. I might need some help settling mine up with the split screen and engine data.
    Thanks for the info

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

16. Member
    Garmin- CV is best on the market right now. There's no better xdcr than GT56 at this point. Brillant fish detecting via Vivid colours. Lowrance have good features but no best, overall- it's better brand for beginner, less settings in DI, SI- but for price- no full custom. Mapping on water - Lowrance is better because different overlays give full knowledge about fishing area. Garmin havn't any way to recordings and using structure on water. Personally- I'm using both brands. Garmin for Livescope,Lowrace for custom maps, side imaging without interferences from TM and trolling motor which is a lot of cheaper than Force.

17. Member
    Made the switch on one of my boats....very pleased...

18. Member
    Curious if anyone has switched all of their graphs from Lowrance to Garmin. Any thoughts on the usability of the interface/software, SideVu (vs SS3d), waypoint management, mapping etc?

I can't stand the software/interface of the Humminbirds. Been there, done that.

I'm considering a new boat and tossing around ideas of whether I'd like to switch over to Garmins. I don't know anyone who runs them. I have a 1222 but only use it for LiveScope.
    I just switched because I have multiple bass boats and it's easy to just pull garmins off cradle and put them on other boat without messing with wires. Really like the detail of garmin with their mounting options and hardware they give you. I didn't mind lowrance actually at all. Had gen3s and would use them again if I had to.

19. Member
    I am going to take the Lowrance off my Triton and switch it to Garmin. I dont know a thing about the lowrance. I was fishing 2-9" Garmins on my Kayak and just bought the boat.
    Now I just need to buy a couple of cradles and I should be ok swapping the head units back and fourth. I have a couple extra gt54 transducers, So I figured Id take the GT56 off my kayak and out it on the boat. Put a GT 54 back onto the kayak
    2017 Triton 21TrX Elite
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112, Mega 360 w/ Helix 10 Di Si Meg+
    Garmin Livescope + on an Ultra 122SV at the bow.
    Garmin Ultra 122SV and Ultra 126SV at the Helm

20. Member
    Bill, any way you can give a short tutorial on adding this? Would love to have it on my 2D screen.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast