Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Really struggling with a decition.

So just wanted to get some opinions from you all.
    I have had my 2003 Cougar for almost 4 years now. It's the longest I have ever kept a boat of any kind.

I havw been going back and forth on my boat weather I want to keep it or trade it in on something else.
    I like the boat and have done a ton of stuff to it upgrade wise. New carpet from BCB and padded front deck 2 years ago, 3 garmin 12s all networked together, custom mount for dual 12s on the console, Livescope, Garmin Force TM, Hydrowave, Dual 8' Power Poles, Custom made step with storage to get to the front deck. It has the original Flippin deck insert, Hot Foot, ProTrim, newer steering wheel, new fenders on the trailer 3 years ago, new bunk boards and composite Sliders on them, boat buckles, custom made cover, all new pumps and plumbing for all the livewells and bilge, also added pump out and lighted lights in the livewells

I have done all of thr upgrades in the last 3 years. I probably have more money in upgrades than what I paid for thr boat originally.
    The 2 big things I do not like is the storage on the boat with the way the older ones were made. And the EFi is a gas hog.

Boat runs like a top. And I have pretty well made it to the way I want. And really not a lot else to do to it upgrade wise other than maybe add lithium battries. Whi h I am thinking about.

My issue is I can't stand the lack of storage in the boat. That is the number 1 complaint I have. I have changed the way I organize things in the boat so many times and I still don't like it.
    The EFI is a gas hog. Runs great but man it likes gas.
    So I keep going back and forth on buying something newer that has better storage and something with an Optimax. But man the cost of used boats now is nuts.
    And the big thing that keeps me thinking just to keep the old boat is I don't use it as much as some are able to. The closest lake I can put thr boat in is 2 hours away. And where we normally go is a 3 hour drive. So hard for me to do.
    But man I keep struggling with this

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I'm not sure it's worth the money to replace with it something else based off of what you posted but it's your money.

Unfortunately you can't fix #1

You can always buy an Optimax as people swap to 4S, but you're putting more money in a boat you like.

It may make sense to buy something new, but as you know that is $$$$$$ (even a 5 year old rig)

If you sell yours, you may want to keep your electronics and poles, as they will not add much value to your rig.

Good Luck.

BTW - I have done the same think to mine and just ordered a 4S, now I am regretting not ordering a new PUMA STS the day they came out...............Oh Well
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Yea it's a tough decision really. I love the boat. I hate the storage in it.
    With thr cost of thr new 4 stroke now its crazy to think that if I bought one for 25k and got 5k trade or sold in my EFI which is a dream I know but I'm bad with math.
    I would be adding another $20k to my 2003 boat.
    Making it push the 50k mark if I figure in what I paid for it and also what upgrades I have done then a new motor also. It's just crazy to think about it that way really

Should be able to get a 250 4S for just under $20K, but to your point may be better to go Optimax with some warranty left.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Bite the bullet, order a new one, we only go around once
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

7. Member
    Keep your eyes peeled for a newer one. I stumbled on mine for a good deal.
    BassCat Cougar FTD w/Suzuki 250SS

FWIW:

We would keep that EFI running until sometime in the future and work to upgrade when these new 4 strokes are aging. You've updated yours and you will have to update anything most like more than you expect. If the rig you have is suiting your needs, hang onto it and enjoy it. We doubt you run enough hours to look at the extra gas as that much cost, and then it will still cost more to upgrade.

Yours is upgraded now, so take time to enjoy it and go fish!

BCB

This is quite simple actually. If you can afford a new rig then do it as the new ones are awesome on storage and performance. If it is a financial reach keep what you have and run the efi until it dies as they re really good engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    FWIW:

We would keep that EFI running until sometime in the future and work to upgrade when these new 4 strokes are aging. You've updated yours and you will have to update anything most like more than you expect. If the rig you have is suiting your needs, hang onto it and enjoy it. We doubt you run enough hours to look at the extra gas as that much cost, and then it will still cost more to upgrade.

Yours is upgraded now, so take time to enjoy it and go fish!

BCB
    That’s an honest assessment from someone that would benefit by advising to buy a new boat. That’s why we love Bass Cat!
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    Bite the bullet, order a new one, we only go around once
    Yep! This!

He’s thinking about a used boat, and he’s already upgraded his. Which means he will only, very likely, spend more money updating the newer one also. In time he could go new if he wanted, should he wait. At least he could go newer and not stop half way to his goal, if he saved and retains his existing boat.

I know, but if he buys my Puma, then I order a new one..........

Just saying, I apricate the honest assessment of most situations on the forum.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

14. Member
    “I just don’t use it as much…..” is the key phrase for my response. If you are going to fish more, than go for a new ride with what you want. If fishing time remains the same or decreases, live with what you got.

I am a year into retirement and don’t fish as much as I thought I would, so am sticking with my 2014 Puma.

Of course, if you are a BBC gazillionaire, drive down to the factory and pick up a new Jag with a 400 this afternoon.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyclub View Post
    Keep your eyes peeled for a newer one. I stumbled on mine for a good deal.
    That would be my approach in your situation. Going brand new would be out. Re-powering with a new engine or used engine would be out, seeing as the storage in your current rig is your biggest dislike.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Banned
    I would never trade an efi for an opti.
    If you are dead set on a new engine, go to a 4s.

17. Member
    Storage on a boat is a delicate question. Do you not have enough room or are you packing too much stuff? I have friends that would fill up a 30 footer with tackle yet I loose lots of tournaments to the guys that use a handful of baits/tackle all the time. I had a 2013 Cougar and had plenty of storage but I'm not familiar with the older models. If I were in your shoes I'd look for a gently used Bass Cat Cougar or Puma with a Yamaha SHO on it. You seem handy so any other minor cosmetic issue can be used to hammer down the price and can be fixed later. Have the motor checked out and then make a deal. Used boats have started leveling off and should go down a little shortly. You'll appreciate the 4-stroke and if you need more room than a newer Puma or Cougar provides on your trips to LOZ then you have another problem all together. Good Luck!

you can buy A LOT of gas for the EFI compared to the higher maintenance and repair costs of the Optimax. the EFI is way more reliable. you will miss that EFI despite the increased fuel and oil usage.

my 2004 Cougar is an FTD so the front deck has tons of storage but I hate not having any rear storage. I also hugely miss the net storage of my P4. The lack of rear storage in my 04 is why I will upgrade to a Puma in the future.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Personally, I would not "upgrade" to an Optimax. I've had mine since 2013 on a Cougar and it's been an absolute money pit. It had all the regularly scheduled maintenance. I've kept a spreadsheet since day 1 of all the out-of-pocket repairs and parts and I could buy gas and oil for the rest of my days and then some and never get even close to what I've spent on repair.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

20. Member
    To address the storage, I went from a ranger 520z to a P2 due to wanting to ditch boat storage rental. I took a deep breath and went thru my tackle and pulled out all the junk I never used but hauled around. Hell the p2 is damn near empty now lol. The amount of stuff guys cram in the boat is stupid. If you are gonna repower the 4s is the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast