Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Let's stop with the insults!
    It's ok when a freedom loving American gets insulted, but better not insult a lefty libtard

2. Member
    Wes

3. Member
    The common thread I see is everyone of these kid's had mental issues. Every time this happens, there were signs of the behavior on social media, in the classroom, and by those who knew the perp. Years ago, everyone in the neighborhood knew who were the strange/weird kids. These kids were often disruptive in class or nonparticipants in class. The kids were then sent to special schools to help them overcome or adapt.
    That changed sometime. Now those same kids are demanded to remain in the original schools and often delay and impede the teaching. They gain nothing except drifting farther from the norm. I truly believe it takes a village to raise a child. When I was a kid, my neighbor's dad would whip our ass and there would be another when we got home. Now it's not cool to say anything about someone's child to them.
    Before you pile on, strange/weird had nothing to do with anyone's race, sexual orientation, etc.. I was fortunate to grow up in a very diverse neighborhood. You know when you see the strange/weird I'm talking about. often referred to as "he is running a quart low".

4. Member
    ^^^^ I think mental institutions and involuntary confinement need to be reinstated with those displaying that type of behavior.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 05-25-2022 at 10:08 PM.

5. Member
    No matter what , you can’t stop crazy. If he wanted to he coulda drove three more hours south into Mexico and got a bazooka probably . If we really want to test changing all the laws, banning all guns, and making murder illegal then I have the perfect city to be the test subject city- Chicago.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI bassassassin View Post
    That’s not true but I see it being said all the time, school shootings really began in the 90s those weapons were available before that why weren’t there school shootings in the 70s and 80s. What’s changed since the the mid 90s and early 2000s?
    i don't want to be over dramatic, but I stopped a "school shooting" at my High School in 1979. Without giving out all the details this friend of mine had a 22 revolver he had "borrowed" from his dad. It was only the second handgun I'd ever seen and obviously could not do much damage. The point is that the potential shooting would not have likely resulted in many, if any deaths compared to using an assault weapon. In addition, the young potential shooter was not permanently "mentally ill" and has been a fine member of society for 40 years.

I've always had guns and went to gun shops since the mid-70's, assault rifles were never really on the racks back then. They were promoted by the manufacturers in the 1980's and sales took off but they were then banned, then re-introduced. I think if you look at historical assault weapon sales (not invention/development), they correlate well with the advent, growth and lethality of mass shootings.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMH&F View Post
    And since then, the purchase and ownership of explosives has been tightly regulated. How many school bombings have we had since then? Evil has always existed, mental illness has always been with us but it is only recently that we have perfected immensely lethal small arms that can easily be operated without lengthy training/experience. If Jack the Ripper or Charles Manson would have had assault weapons available to them many, many more victims would be dead. It's not about necessarily preventing the evil act, it's about minimizing the damage.
    Conversation is always good. But we as a nation can not think that getting rid of the THING, THE OBJECT is the answer. I know this tugs at your guts. It looks like a simple solution ann all will be well. But 20 students, one my nephew and 2 adults will tell your dead wrong to lookfor simple solution. They were lucky as it was only small kitchen knives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankl...chool_stabbing

I just do not understand our obsession with ignoring what is in front of our eyes. Are we that afraid to offend people? Trample on a person's rights. It has to be a solution not a feel good fix. Get rids of all guns I don't care. But I ask you did you really make things safer. Are you going to tell your child they are now safe we solved the problem. You have to treat the correct problem or it will just keep repeating. Wait until some evil person drives up to a school with a fertilizer bomb. Then what?
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

8. Member
    i don't want to be over dramatic, but I stopped a "school shooting" at my High School in 1979. Without giving out all the details this friend of mine had a 22 revolver he had "borrowed" from his dad. It was only the second handgun I'd ever seen and obviously could not do much damage. The point is that the potential shooting would not have likely resulted in many, if any deaths compared to using an assault weapon. In addition, the young potential shooter was not permanently "mentally ill" and has been a fine member of society for 40 years.

I've always had guns and went to gun shops since the mid-70's, assault rifles were never really on the racks back then. They were promoted by the manufacturers in the 1980's and sales took off but they were then banned, then re-introduced. I think if you look at historical assault weapon sales (not invention/development), they correlate well with the advent, growth and lethality of mass shootings.
    Your repeated use of the words, "assault weapon," leads me to believe you are not as informed as you think you are. Plus, long before the AR platform, there were other firearms that could do just as much if not more damage. The Chicago Typewriter comes to mind. The AR platform is a convenient tool and nothing more. Take it off the market and there are dozens more to replace it. Killing is easy. It just so happens to be easier with a gun. Tomorrow, a school bus driver could drive off of a bridge and kill 40 kids instantly, then what?

9. Member
    My oldest son who was an outstanding student and citizen growing up started having serious mental issues in his mid 20's and so I removed all firearms from my residence. Over the course of a few years he got worse and ultimately ended up taking his life, purchasing a firearm from a private citizen.

Im a staunch supporter of the 2nd A but I'm struggling with how to address this issue, particularly having a nationwide ability and requirement for those with mental health issues to be registered and even private sellers required to check that registration list.

I had several folks express their sympathy with my sons suicide and say something to the effect they couldn't think of anything worse. I could. Him coming to your house or school and killing your family members.

Im not sure how to do it to be fair to everyone but a universal background check needs to get figured out to help address this ongoing issue for sure as it pertains to those with mental health issues!!!

10. Member
    And since then, the purchase and ownership of explosives has been tightly regulated. How many school bombings have we had since then? Evil has always existed, mental illness has always been with us but it is only recently that we have perfected immensely lethal small arms that can easily be operated without lengthy training/experience. If Jack the Ripper or Charles Manson would have had assault weapons available to them many, many more victims would be dead. It's not about necessarily preventing the evil act, it's about minimizing the damage.
    Diesel and fertilizer was all Timothy McVeigh needed. Crazies are gonna do crazy stuff. You can’t outlaw everything. As mentioned above, we need to work on helping people and preventing the evil.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

11. Member

Have you ever heard that correlation does not equal causation? Geez.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Oh but you're wrong.
    Without us, they would have to use their own money.
    If they fixed the problems, they would have no soap box to stand on.
    They aren’t standing on soap boxes. They are standing on the corpses of the defenseless and undefended. The same loud voices can’t wait until the next time they get to climb on higher.
    People aren’t willing to demand those who want to walk around like a boss are actually held responsible. All of them have an excuse though, read between the lines, quite of few of these maniacs on are on the LEO radar but just seem to “slip between the cracks”. You’re taking the paycheck, take the goddammed responsibility!

13. Member

You believe the “assault rifle” is the cause of school shooting, I’m trying to wrap my head around that but admittedly I’m having trouble. I believe the break down of the nuclear family and the disassociation with society combined with social media and other electronic contributing factors are at least as much to blame as an inanimate object, obviously just my opinion.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI bassassassin View Post
    You believe the “assault rifle” is the cause of school shooting, I’m trying to wrap my head around that but admittedly I’m having trouble. I believe the break down of the nuclear family and the disassociation with society combined with social media and other electronic contributing factors are at least as much to blame as an inanimate object, obviously just my opinion.
    Just read an article where Australia confiscated 650k guns and murders and suicides plummeted. Can you wrap your head around that?
    Pool 10

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanchejoe View Post
    Inalienable God given RIGHTS,last forever, people with your mentality will destroy our great nation, the constitution is NOT up for debate.
    Whose God?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    Just read an article where Australia confiscated 650k guns and murders and suicides plummeted. Can you wrap your head around that?
    Can’t do that here until the constitution is changed, there’s a way to do that though.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairn View Post
    Whose God?
    That awkward moment when a zobie looking for brains walks right by YOU !!

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    ​​
    You've posted some crazy shit in your 5 months here but REALLY? Is this an opinion or scientific fact?
    There is much medical research and published data compiled that anti-social behavior can be diagnosed at ages as early as 3-4 years old.......sadly it is not socially acceptable to treat properly so typically those get into trouble and they stay in and out of confinement and they usually mature to a level around 26 years old so there just thrown in jail till then..... during my studies years ago the direct correlation of over prescribing depression and anxiety meds was linked to emotional and mental development of their children..... it has become somewhat unacceptable in society to blame it..... I will leave it at that

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    Did the article explain how the firearms were able to manipulate the people?

20. Member

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast