Z520L Ride with Lithium Battery's vs AGM

This though has been bouncing around for quite some time now and I haven't found much discussion on the topic. I have a 2021 Ranger Z520L w/ ProXS. Current battery configuration is the 3 Tracker lithium group 31 100AH batteries for the trolling motor and 1 interstate cranking battery. This boat rides phenomenal as it is, but I feel like it could use a little more lift. but does anyone think or know from experience if I will truly be able to get noticeably more bow lift by adding weight and swapping out the lithium's for AGMS? Don't get me wrong, the lithium's are awesome and I feel like I could run the trolling motor for days on end, but I would be curious to see if the performance would significantly increase by having the extra weight in the back. Motor has 125 hours, 23P Fury, atlas jack plate and 2 8' blades. Seeing top speed of 70.5 at 5800-5950 RPM. Can quite seem to break the 6K mark.
    2021 Ranger Z520L Mercury 250 ProXS
    2007 Ranger Z20 Mercury 225 ProXS

I also like to race...

2. Member
    Leave the battery setup alone. I have used both on a 520L If you want better performance, get a 23 fury 4. It won't be any faster, but I liked everything else better. Unfortunately, it slung a blade so now I run a 23 fury3 B & B and it's close in overall performance to the 23 fury4. It's a 70-71 mph boat with a full tournament load.
    Last edited by dgreenfishing; 05-25-2022 at 07:35 PM.

I dont get it. Setups are dependent on weight and balance. Change that and you need to change setup. Any reduction in weight should be a good thing. More cup and pitch should be the answer.
    I dont have anything other than that.
    Change the prop.

23 tempest would have way more bow lift
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

5. mikesxpress
    These bass boats are currently designed with battery weight, fuel tanks, 2 stroke oil tank, PP pumps, hydraulic JP pump, and livewells being placed aft. When you relieve weight from it's designed location any action has a reaction. This can be good or bad based on your other boat loading attributes like tackle/fisherman weight positioning. Just removing weight doesn't always increase performance. It can actually negatively affect performance and handling. If that occurs, then your on to the next goose chase to rectify it.

I believe I lost some performance after switching to lithium, ass end is high now and can't get the bow high enough. I am trimmed 100% and feel I need more.
    Boatless

7. Member
    If you really want to know the difference in performance, just put some bags of sand at the back of the boat to compensate for the difference between the lithium's weight and the AGM's weight. It's a cheap way to know.

8. Member
    Mine improved.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

9. mikesxpress
    The results will vary boat to boat.
    Z21 Intracoastal w/250 V8
    *On board battery charger removed.
    *Oil tank from prior 4 stroke removed.
    I was contemplating a switch to lithiums for my 3 TM batteries from the group 31 Odyssey AGMs. I pulled 2 of them out and ran it. It slid on cornering and it required constant steering corrections at WOT. I spent a few hours adjusting the hyd JP & trim positions to try and gain some stability and couldn't make it much better.

The boat ran like it was on rails prior.

All in the prop. Call Mark Croxton. He will get you fixed.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.