Probably asking a dumb question, but…

Just bought a boat, has the active target and 2 12s… Believe they are gen 3… Do they not come with detailed mapping for bigger lakes? I see my map, but very little details… I guess I need to buy a Cmap card for detail? Or is there a better chip, I’m in the Midwest… Mostly fish lake of the Ozarks… I guess I assumed there would to detailed mapping all ready on the units… any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated…thanks

2. Member
    If they are gen3’s then you will only have the base navionics preloaded. You will need to get a C-MAP card or a hotmaps navionics card to get what your looking for. The latest live units come with C-MAP preloaded but it still isn’t the greatest version. It is the contour plus line.

Sounds like your units just have the base maps. I prefer the Navonics + map cards. If your units are Ethernet Connected you will only need one, Lowrance shares map cards over Ethernet.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    If they are gen3’s then you will only have the base navionics preloaded. You will need to get a C-MAP card or a hotmaps navionics card to get what your looking for. The latest live units come with C-MAP preloaded but it still isn’t the greatest version. It is the contour plus line.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Sounds like your units just have the base maps. I prefer the Navonics + map cards. If your units are Ethernet Connected you will only need one, Lowrance shares map cards over Ethernet.
    Thanks for the info guys

6. Member
    You have Active Target and Gen 3s? That won’t work.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    You have Active Target and Gen 3s? That won’t work.

NoCAL
    . Maybe it’s gen 4, not sure… does have active target that works… if it’s gen 4, sounds like it should have detailed mapping?

It says c-map us enhanced basemap

9. Member
    C-Map US Enhanced is what comes with new HDS Carbon and Live units. It is just what is says, a base map. If you need detailed mapping, you will have to pick either Navionics or C-Map. It would be impossible for the manufacturer to install detailed maps in every unit for the entire country. What about units sold in Canada. A base map will keep you safe and navigating away from potential trouble. Any more detail you might desire, you're on your own. Best bet is to go to each site and check out the online apps which will show you how much detail each product provides.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    C-Map US Enhanced is what comes with new HDS Carbon and Live units. It is just what is says, a base map. If you need detailed mapping, you will have to pick either Navionics or C-Map. It would be impossible for the manufacturer to install detailed maps in every unit for the entire country. What about units sold in Canada. A base map will keep you safe and navigating away from potential trouble. Any more detail you might desire, you're on your own. Best bet is to go to each site and check out the online apps which will show you how much detail each product provides.

NoCAL
    . Thank you, appreciated

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Haze View Post
    . Maybe it’s gen 4, not sure… does have active target that works… if it’s gen 4, sounds like it should have detailed mapping?
    There is by name not a gen 4, Either Carbon (which would be Gen4) or Live (Gen5). Both will have base maps from C-Map that are better than the earlier version but still not overly detailed and way better for some lakes then for others.