Thread: Smash Burgers

Smash Burgers

One of my favorite fast food burgers is from Smash Burgers but I don't have any local. I know there are guys here who have come up with their own variety of a smash burger. I'd really like to try making some but would like a few ideas or some guidance.

Anybody want to give me some ideas of things to try.

Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    One of my favorite fast food burgers is from Smash Burgers but I don't have any local. I know there are guys here who have come up with their own variety of a smash burger. I'd really like to try making some but would like a few ideas or some guidance.

Anybody want to give me some ideas of things to try.
    Most of us that do them use a Blackstone or some type of griddle. It takes a flat surface the gets real hot. If you have a griddle plate that you can place on a grill that would work. Just be aware of all the grease that will roll off and flame up. If only doing a couple a cast iron pan will work, but you can't do many at a time.

As far as the recipe for the burger: We like Blue Cheese Smash Burgers
    Combine hamburger I use a pack of 70/30 and a pack of 90/10 with a small container of blue cheese. Dash of worcester. Mix
    Roll into ball about the size of a tennis ball
    Salt and pepper along with a touch of garlic and smoked paprika on one side.
    With griddle smoking hot put the patties seasoned side down
    By the time I have them all on its almost time to press them down. Use a sheet of wax paper and something flat and press them down
    Season this side up and flip them.
    That's it
    Another good thing about the griddle is you have room to cook onions on it too while your doing the burgers. And always cook some bacon before and cook the burgers in the bacon grease
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Most of us that do them use a Blackstone or some type of griddle. It takes a flat surface the gets real hot. If you have a griddle plate that you can place on a grill that would work. Just be aware of all the grease that will roll off and flame up. If only doing a couple a cast iron pan will work, but you can't do many at a time.

As far as the recipe for the burger: We like Blue Cheese Smash Burgers
    Combine hamburger I use a pack of 70/30 and a pack of 90/10 with a small container of blue cheese. Dash of worcester. Mix
    Roll into ball about the size of a tennis ball
    Salt and pepper along with a touch of garlic and smoked paprika on one side.
    With griddle smoking hot put the patties seasoned side down
    By the time I have them all on its almost time to press them down. Use a sheet of wax paper and something flat and press them down
    Season this side up and flip them.
    That's it
    Another good thing about the griddle is you have room to cook onions on it too while your doing the burgers. And always cook some bacon before and cook the burgers in the bacon grease
    This is good info. I have done them in a cast iron skillet but the small area makes it slow if you are cooking a lot of them. We like to toast the buns and make "sauce" with ours. Sauce is ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish/pickles, garlic, and seasoned to taste with salt/pepper, paprika and onion powder.

4. Member
    I just followed a video on youtube. Roll meat (80-20) into ball, heat blackstone to about 380 degrees, drop butter on griddle, then ball of meat on butter, place wax paper over, meat press down and hold for about 10-12 seconds, season (I just use Lawry's and black pepper), flip when it starts bubbling through, add a slice of cheese, cook for another minute or so. Whole cook takes 3 minutes. Also butter the insides of the buns and toast on griddle too. The only problem is that it's hard to do more than 3 at a time. The burgers turn out great but it's hard to sit down and eat as a family when I can't get them finished at the same time.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Using a Blackstone is where its at. I was given one last year and I use it more than my grill now. Smash burgers are easy to make. I keep it simple. 1.5lb of burger makes about 9 small balls for the smash burger. Pretty much like WPS456 said. I make all 9 at once. Sometimes I'll make bacon on it to go with the burger.

6. Member
    I'll add that I like cooking down some sliced Vidalia onions in bacon grease on the Blackstone while cooking the burgers...good stuff!

7. Member
    I used to own a business and cooked on a griddle everyday. I don't own one but have been thinking of picking up a Blackstone. When you are smashing them how thin are you trying to get them. It should be pretty simple to fabricate a metal plate to smash them with.

I'm pretty bad to use ground deer meat when making burgers. I usually mix one fairly large size 80/20 burger with a pound of ground deer meat and cook on my rec tec. Usually turns out great.

I do like the fast food smash burgers though.

8. Member
    I smash them as thin as I possible can, hoping I don't break the Blackstone with my weight leaning on it. First time I made them, I used deer meat with beef fat mixed in and my teen son said it may be the best burger he's ever had. Here's a press I'm about to order:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    I smash them as thin as I possible can, hoping I don't break the Blackstone with my weight leaning on it. First time I made them, I used deer meat with beef fat mixed in and my teen son said it may be the best burger he's ever had.
    That sounds tooo tasty

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    I used to own a business and cooked on a griddle everyday. I don't own one but have been thinking of picking up a Blackstone. When you are smashing them how thin are you trying to get them. It should be pretty simple to fabricate a metal plate to smash them with.

I'm pretty bad to use ground deer meat when making burgers. I usually mix one fairly large size 80/20 burger with a pound of ground deer meat and cook on my rec tec. Usually turns out great.

I do like the fast food smash burgers though.
    Get a brick trowel and cut the end off to make a spatula.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Get a brick trowel and cut the end off to make a spatula.
    Nice tip!! I'll be stopping at HD on the way home.

12. Member
    I have a Lodge cast iron griddle and grill press I use on my weber charcoal kettle grill.
    I use natural wood lump charcole. It seems to burn hotter than the briquets
    The burgers 70/30 ground beef
    season with a little salt pepper and garlic powder.
    one slice of american or blue cheese.
    roll into 3 inch balls and I let them set while I waiting for the charcoal to heat up.
    Place griddle on grill let heat up for 15 to 20 mins. over direct heat.
    place a pad unsalted butter on the griddle for each burger.
    I can do 2 at a time.
    place buger in middle sizzliing butter and smash.
    about 2 min. flip 1 min. add cheese. when metled your done.
    I also grill my buns with a little butter and garlic powder.

Now I'm hungry
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

13. Member
    I love my griddle. There’s no doubt Blackstone is the biggest name, but do yourself a favor and check out the Char-Griller flat iron premium griddle. I did a lot of research and purchased this griddle, and I’m glad I did. I had a Black stone prior, and it was excellent. The flat iron has flame guards which protects flame from the wind, and a very simple lid that is very easy to use and effective. For the money I think it’s the best one on the market. Don’t get me wrong, black stones are excellent, but check it out. I use my griddle more and more, for everything from breakfast, to fajitas, to steaks and of course smash burgers…..It’s almost unlimited. Whatever you get, I would recommend one with flame guards and a easy to use attached lid. Have fun!