Trolling Motor Question

You guys that are running 24V TM, 31 series AGM's on a 190 or 195, how many hours can you run in a day before your batteries give out?

2. Member
    I have never ran out of juice yet. Batteries are 3 years old. I do not fish all day if it is really windy out though.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I have never ran out of juice yet. Batteries are 3 years old. I do not fish all day if it is really windy out though.
    Our Saturday tournaments are 10 hours and 7 hours on Sunday. I wasn't making it all day Saturday on Exide 31 Maintenance Free so I switched out Duracell 31 AGM's.

4. Member
    I have fished 10 hours with group 27 lead acid Evetstarts and never ran out of power.

5. Member
    I forgot to plug my boat in after a Saturday tournament and ran all day Sunday without charging overnight. That was with the (old) lead acid Exide's, but these new maintenance free left me dead in the water on a Saturday afternoon.

6. Member
    Obviously your question depends a lot on the conditions (Current/Wind/Boat size) and the speed you need to run your Trolling Motor at. Most 24v TM's can only run 3 hours continuous on high speed. Medium speeds buy you about 6 hours. Low speeds get you between 15-20 hours. That is with two 100AH Lead Acid or AGM's batteries. Which since you can only run them to 50% before you are dropping below 12v and damaging there longevity. Understand, that is continuous use. So if Your in a low profile boat, light current and wind, you can likely go a couple days, maybe more. If your in a deep V and fighting current in a river or on a lake with 15mph winds, you better charge up at the end of the day if you make it all the way through a 8-10 hour day. The other issue with LA and AGM is once you drop below 12v at 50%, you're suppling less than 12v to devices meant to run on 12v. Some of them don't like that much such as fish finders that will shut down not much under 12v.

state-of-charge-chart-for-agm-battery.png

This means you get a little more than half as many hours as Lithium which you can safely run down to 10%. That's why many that are running 24v and 36v go Lithium instead of Lead or AGM's.

LiFePO4-Battery-Voltage-Charts-Image-8.jpg

The fact that you get to actually USE 90% of the Rated AH's, that they're significantly lighter and that if taken care of (Not run down below 10% and fully recharged after use) they will last thousands of recharging cycles vs. hundreds for LA/AGM, Makes their price a better proposition. They ain't cheap but they're getting cheaper every year. Within a few more, It's my opinion that we will all be using them for Trolling Motors. They have a way to go to develop solid starting batteries but they are starting to show up on the marine market.
    Last edited by CincyGus; 07-07-2022 at 12:08 AM.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

7. Member
    I've found that the Fortrex I bought in 2014, followed by the Ultrex in 2018 have been easier on batteries than any I've owned in 40 years. I switched to 31 AGM Duracell 2 years ago and they've been fantastic. Fished a 6 hour tournament in 15mph winds and never had a problem. Before the Duracells, I exclusively used the Interstate 27s and had problems with my starting battery when I went to dual 7" Helix.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I've found that the Fortrex I bought in 2014, followed by the Ultrex in 2018 have been easier on batteries than any I've owned in 40 years. I switched to 31 AGM Duracell 2 years ago and they've been fantastic. Fished a 6 hour tournament in 15mph winds and never had a problem. Before the Duracells, I exclusively used the Interstate 27s and had problems with my starting battery when I went to dual 7" Helix.
    It is no surprise that you had problems with Interstate.

9. Member
    My TM is an older Motorguide Tour Digital, running on 2 group 31 Duracell AGM's. No problem fishing 2 days with them.

10. Member
    I have a 80 minnkota ultrex and I run everstart 29's in my tx 190 and I'll use them 11 hr a day and don't even draw them halfway down