Heddon Hellbender for Stripers? Poor man’s Downrigger

Has anyone tried this setup for fishing Stripers? Was reading about attaching a 4 to 5ft leader to the tail of a Hellbender that has your favorite striper lure attached. That way it will get it down deep to where the Stripers are at while trolling. I plan on hitting Norfolk lake for a week in June for Stripers and was researching ways to catch them. Apparently when you remove the hooks on the Hellbender it’s like a poor man’s downrigger.

https://www.amazon.com/Heddon-Hellbe...36074638&psc=1

Why won’t they just hit the Hellbender? Generally, anything you drag in front of their face they’ll eat. The concept seems good though.

3. Member
    Try snap weights or dipsy divers too. We used them all the time trolling for Lake Ontario brown trout and salmon
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    we used to use the magnum hell benders in Keystone lake Oklahoma , at one time Mannford Oklahoma was the Striper capitol of the world , a magnum hellbender would run 20-25 feet deep, remove the front hook replace it with a 3-5 foot leader a 1 ounce jig head and depending on the day a white or yellow fliptail grub was the ticket. you could get the hellbender to bang bottom in 35 foot of water. we would use 50 lb line on surf rods because trolling at 5 mph with that lure was like catching a 5lb bass just holding the rod

5. Member
    When not using a downrigger we used
    pink ladies or a deep six.the hellbender
    works too but leave a hook on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    we used to use the magnum hell benders in Keystone lake Oklahoma , at one time Mannford Oklahoma was the Striper capitol of the world , a magnum hellbender would run 20-25 feet deep, remove the front hook replace it with a 3-5 foot leader a 1 ounce jig head and depending on the day a white or yellow fliptail grub was the ticket. you could get the hellbender to bang bottom in 35 foot of water. we would use 50 lb line on surf rods because trolling at 5 mph with that lure was like catching a 5lb bass just holding the rod
    That’s exactly how we did it. Use to have a blast catching them on Keystone. Haven’t been in years.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

7. Member
    3 way swivel to tag line. Tie 4’ leader to Hellbender without hooks. Tie 6’ leader with Tony Aceta pet spoon. You’ll never get hung up even in the trees. Hang on.

Been using Hellbender and spec rig since the late 50's.
    Spec rig.
    https://www.academy.com/p/h-h-lure-3...hite-01-1-8-oz

P01135809

Use to troll stripers with this method. Key for me was to get the speed dialed in.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    Has anyone tried this setup for fishing Stripers? Was reading about attaching a 4 to 5ft leader to the tail of a Hellbender that has your favorite striper lure attached. That way it will get it down deep to where the Stripers are at while trolling. I plan on hitting Norfolk lake for a week in June for Stripers and was researching ways to catch them. Apparently when you remove the hooks on the Hellbender it’s like a poor man’s downrigger.

https://www.amazon.com/Heddon-Hellbe...36074638&psc=1
    Tfall ,,check out BINKS GUIDE SERVICE on Norfolk (YOU TUBE )

Stripers may not be deep in June, at least early June. I don't troll for them a lot on Beaver as I prefer to catch them on top, but I have trolled smaller Keitechs, 3.3 or maybe 3.8 on 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz heads. They might get down 10 feet or so if trolled slow and they will catch fish.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAMVET1968 View Post
    Tfall ,,check out BINKS GUIDE SERVICE on Norfolk (YOU TUBE )
    The Top water bite looks like a blast. Hopefully they are still hitting on top in mid June.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Stripers may not be deep in June, at least early June. I don't troll for them a lot on Beaver as I prefer to catch them on top, but I have trolled smaller Keitechs, 3.3 or maybe 3.8 on 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz heads. They might get down 10 feet or so if trolled slow and they will catch fish.
    Beaver is great for Stripers. I caught one at the Basscat OI in April on a Rockcrawler by accident. Was crazy fun.

Beaver is great for Stripers. I caught one at the Basscat OI in April on a Rockcrawler by accident. Was crazy fun.
    Usually this time of year there's a great top water bite on the dam end of the lake, but they haven't got going yet. It's great fun for sure, stripers really blow up on a top water.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Usually this time of year there's a great top water bite on the dam end of the lake, but they haven't got going yet. It's great fun for sure, stripers really blow up on a top water.
    Great eating fish too.

16. Member
    Last edited by tj; 06-24-2022 at 01:50 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

Great eating fish too.
    Big ol' meaty fillets!