Amped lithium battery BMS reset

I have 2 80AH Amped lithium batteries wired together to operate my 24V Force trolling motor but after 3 hours of trolling/fishing the TM stopped, seemed far too quickly to be run down since the batteries hadn't been in use since being charged 3 days prior so I was confused. Got home and the NOCO 2 bank charger on the left side doesn't light up like normal but the right side shows fully charged. Called Amped Outdoors but they don't have a service shop so they're trying to troubleshoot via email. I was told that the BMS tripped, and I need to "wake the battery". How? It was mentioned that using a jump pack could work so I tried my Stanley 300 amp jump start unit but no luck. What I'm afraid of is ruining the good battery by messing with the wiring since everything worked well the first couple of trips but they were shorter 2 hour trips. Any simple suggestions I can try without re-wiring the batteries since I had the TM and batteries installed by a dealership that charged me more than double their estimate and when I questioned why the difference was told if I couldn't afford an extra $1000 above the estimate I shouldn't own a boat. I won't go back there for service but would take a 3.5 hour drive to Amped's warehouse and let them look at it but they claim they don't do service work. Any ideas that a moron like me can try? Thanks !!

jump 12v from your good battry or any 12v battery to the sleeping 12v battery. use any wire you want but once the sleeping 12v receives 12v it should wake up. and then your charger will probably recognize it again.

this is how

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

3. Member
    Since the batteries are hooked up together to provide 24V of power, do I disconnect the bad battery from the good one and try the "jump" to the now unhooked/standalone lithium battery?

Yes unhook the battery so it’s stand alone.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

5. Member
    Well darn, unhooked the battery and tried the standard wet cell battery that was fully charged and no difference. Amped said try a jump pack again while the battery is unhooked/standalone and still no difference when I hooked everything up when I tried the onboard 2 bank NOCO charger that was mentioned specifically for these batteries. Still showing fully charged on the right side but only the light by the change battery type button for the left side. Pressing the change battery type button doesn't change anything. I don't get it, a few 2 hour trips and everything worked fine but 3 hours trolling on fully charged batteries was too much draw from my Garmin Force TM? I wonder if using my old Schumacher trickle charger that I used on my Interstate batteries would charge the bad one enough to reset the BMS? Amped has responded to my latest questions, I may be making a trip to their Hudson WI warehouse.

6. Member
    my amped battery tripped (my fault) and i just unhooked it from everything and it woke up

7. Member
    Your trolling motor breaker on off switch didn’t go off by chance.

Swap charger leads to see if it is a bad bank on the charger. It is doubtful but needs to be checked. If it is not the charger, it could be a bad battery. I would be pushing for a replacement at this point.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    what voltage do you read on the bad battery?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
    what voltage do you read on the bad battery?
    12.2 on the bad battery and 14.6 on the good battery. The Minnkota Traxxus I have on the back doesn't show any power either.

11. Member
    Unhook everything from the sleeping battery and your starting battery. Jump the sleeper from your starting battery. Will literally take one second of power connected from the starter to wake the sleeper. Hook everything back up and charge them up. Had it happen to my 30ah battery I use for the livescope system. Haven't had any issues since.

But make sure you completely isolate both batteries during the jump. You don't want anything else on the circuit when you jump it.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRedd View Post
    12.2 on the bad battery and 14.6 on the good battery. The Minnkota Traxxus I have on the back doesn't show any power either.
    That battery is not asleep. when a lithium goes to sleep it will be at 0v. Also the 14.6v doesn’t sound right either. Unless it’s on the charger. But a resting 12v lithium is usually around 13.3v give or take some.
    Last edited by haus9393; 05-27-2022 at 09:06 AM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    That battery is not asleep. when a lithium goes to sleep it will be at 0v. Also the 14.6v doesn’t sound right either. Unless it’s on the charger. But a resting 12v lithium is usually around 13.3v give or take some.
    Haus9393 is right on with his comments. If the BMS shut off you would get 0 volts. You have a bad cell or two. Look at it this way, the most likely time of failure of a factory defect will be soon after starting use in most cases. A bad solder connection or similar.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

14. Member
    Thought I'd update after playing around with the batteries and the NOCO Gen Pro 10 x 2 charger now only seems to be charging on the left side, right side stays in stand-by mode. Tried pressing and holding the change mode button down (per NOCO) and while the charger lights up and goes thru all the modes, after a couple minutes reverts back to stand-by mode. Flipped batteries since the one battery was showing over 14V after being fully charged and put the weaker battery on the operating bank and the fully charged battery on the stand-by bank. After seeing the weak battery get fully charged and seeing both batteries read above 14V, I decided to go trolling with the Garmin Force for 2.5 hours last night and never had an issue, the hand remote showed fully charged after the trip. However, since Amped told me to charge the batteries after every trip I noticed the same issue with the brand new NOCO charger, left side went into charge mode while right side stayed in stand-by mode. So now I'm wondering what happened since the charger worked perfectly the first couple of times but seems to only be charging on the left side. Amped has agreed to send a replacement lithium battery once they are in stock but now, I'm wondering if it's the charger? Once again' I'm hoping someone can offer advice that a moron like me can try so I can hopefully put seemingly an easy task like charging my batteries to operate my 24V Garmin Force TM when I want to go fishing. This should be easy right?

15. Member
    It definitely sounds like a charger issue reading the update. I would be getting back in touch with the folks at NOCO and trying to get a replacement in the works. Seems like the batteries themselves are fine. I ran my 32ah Amped down this weekend running livescope on it, got it low enough to trip the BMS. When I got home, I hooked up the charger to check and it was showing the fault, so I grabbed a small 7ah lithium off the shelf, quick jumped the 32ah to wake it up and she went right back to charging like normal.