Trolling motor...sell or keep?

I've been going back and forth in my mind with this question for a couple weeks now, and I'd appreciate some feedback. I apologize for the length of the post but I want to make sure to cover everything. I bought a Lowrance Ghost trolling motor last Spring to put on my bass boat. I don't have updated electronics or a NEMA network, so really the only feature I specifically bought it for was the spot lock. Due to low water in our area last year I really didn't get a chance to use my boat a lot (probably a dozen days on the water, the rest of the time I was shore fishing). That said, I love the Ghost and really enjoyed the spot lock feature when I used it. Fast forward to this year and I decided over the winter months to invest in a kayak. I did this for a few reasons. First, I would be able to put in at these places that still have low water levels where I can't put my boat in (I really am not a fan of shore fishing if I don't have to). Second, I would be able to explore new water or water that I refuse to take my boat since I'm afraid of damaging it. Also, with gas prices going through the roof, it costs me a lot less in fuel to tow a kayak in the back of my truck bed versus towing a 3500 lb boat and trailer. Lastly, I fish by myself 95% of the time anymore since my dad has gotten older and just doesn't fish, and my good friend has kids that he goes fishing with in his boat, so we only get to fish together 2-3 times a year. After having the kayak out a couple times this spring I'm really enjoying it. The biggest question I had since I hadn't fished much from a kayak before was whether I'd be able to stand and fish since that's what I'm used to doing in my boat. The kayak I bought has enough stability that I can comfortably stand and fish, so that was a pleasant surprise. The one downside to the kayak is the paddling. Because it's a sit-on-top kayak it is not built for speed and it's an absolute pain in the butt to try and paddle against the wind. So now I'm thinking about getting a trolling motor for the kayak. Motorguide makes a bow-mounted kayak trolling motor that has spot lock and that's the one I'm interested in. If I sell the Ghost and replace it by buying a used Fortrex (which is what I had before the Ghost), I should have enough money left over to purchase the kayak trolling motor and possibly also buy a lithium battery for it. All of my local lakes I would take my kayak to and would have the spot lock feature. The only place I would miss the Ghost would be the handful of days a year that I fish the Mississippi River, where I still would be using my bass boat. If I keep the Ghost then next season would be the soonest I feel I would be able to afford to purchase the kayak motor. Also, if I keep the Ghost, is it really worth the money I spent on it if I'm only using it a handful of days each season? If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Anything I am missing that would help in making this choice?

2. Member
    Sell.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

3. Member
    keep

4. Member
    After having a trolling motor with spot lock and the ease of movement, I'll never have a boat without one. Even if it's only being used a few times a year.

5. Member
    I have a Fortrex on my boat and would love spot-lock, I would keep the Ghost.

6. Member
    Thanks for the comments. The main dilemma for me is two-fold. First, I hate knowing that I spent a bunch of money on something that is getting such minimal use...seems like a waste. Second, I just don't use the spot lock all that often since many of the lakes around me don't have much offshore structure and so I'm more of a bank beater. That said, when I do need to use the spot lock it's amazing and makes things so much easier.

7. Member
    If you're using it less than a dozen times a year, I'd be willing to guess that you're probably not even using the spot-lock feature on a minimum of 25% of those trips. Just not worth the money you spent on it...IMO!
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

8. MySkeeter
    Like the saying goes better to have and not need then to need and not have.

9. Member
    Have used my Ghost only 3 times and looking to sell my Fortrex already. It is a beast. Only issue so far is when stowing the cable gets stuck to release it. Have not found a 'fix' for that as of yet.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Have used my Ghost only 3 times and looking to sell my Fortrex already. It is a beast. Only issue so far is when stowing the cable gets stuck to release it. Have not found a 'fix' for that as of yet.
    How long have you had your Ghost? Do you plan to use it a bunch every year? If I knew I'd be using the motor 20 or more times a season, I wouldn't even be thinking about selling it since I do love almost everything about it. But other than the days I take off work to go fishing, I am only able to go on the weekends. And knowing that I might only use my boat a total of 10 or fewer days a year while I will use the kayak 25+ days, I have to at least wonder if I would be better off sacrificing the Ghost in order to get the xi3 for the kayak. That's where I'm torn.

As far as your issue with the cable getting stuck (if I'm understanding your issue correctly), I'm sure you've already heard it said before, but the mount on the Ghost is a bit finicky and it needs to be leveled very well in order for the latch to operate correctly. I had to wind up taking the mount off of my boat and adding some of the spacers in order to get it to be level and latch and release properly. If you're sure it's mounted completely level, the only other thing I can think of to check would be the gas assist piston. I know there was an issue with them at one point but I believe Lowrance got it figured out.

11. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    Keep it, you already bought it and paid for it plus it is already installed for use when needed. I wouldn’t go without spotlock.
    Buy another motor you want for the Kayak and use it and enjoy. You will be glad you did, it will make your time on the water much more pleasurable.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by wildkat7 View Post
    After having a trolling motor with spot lock and the ease of movement, I'll never have a boat without one. Even if it's only being used a few times a year.
    this
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin C. View Post
    Keep it, you already bought it and paid for it plus it is already installed for use when needed. I wouldn’t go without spotlock.
    Buy another motor you want for the Kayak and use it and enjoy. You will be glad you did, it will make your time on the water much more pleasurable.
    Yes

^^My recommendation as well. You won't need much for your kayak, especially if you're mostly "beating the bank." I have a Pelican Catch (pedal drive) I bought a small Watersnake (maybe 18lb?) trolling motor to increase my range...fits right in the slot for my pedals. I can easily do 3mph with it.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

15. Member
    Keep it, water could be higher the next few years and you might be using the big boat more than you think.

16. Member
    I appreciate all of the help in making this decision. I have decided to keep the Ghost and just get a motor for the kayak when I can. In the long run if I decided that I really wanted the Ghost back and I had sold it, I’d wind up spending a lot more to buy another one. And hopefully the water levels around where I live will get back to normal at some point which will allow me to take my boat a couple more local places where I won’t be going through so much gas to tow it. I’m not going to hold my breath about gas prices dropping anytime soon. Thanks again.

I had to look it up. Actually a 24lb trolling motor. Super lightweight and cheap. I cut the shaft in half and reversed the head.

Amazon.com: Watersnake T24 ASP - 24 Pound Thrust 12v Electric Saltwater Trolling Motor with Kayak Bracket : Sports & Outdoors
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin