2022 90 HP Mercury 4 Stroke

I’m getting conflicting information regarding my 2022 90 HP Mercury 4 stroke. Anyone know with certainty if my motor as an alternator or a stator? Or does it have both and it’s all just the components of the alternator? I know the 150hp mercs and up have actually alternators. Thanks.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Mercury doesn't use "years"- but the current-production 90hp Fourstroke is a STATOR charging system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Mercury doesn't use "years"- but the current-production 90hp Fourstroke is a STATOR charging system.
    Hello, thank you for the response. Nice to finally meet you in a sense! Been hearing a lot of great things about you and your contributions to this community! My boat is in storage so I don’t have access to that serial number on the motor right now. Apologies. But yes, it’s current production 90HP Four-stroke. Have stator systems improved or been upgraded? They can safely be used with AGM’s now without issue? At least, my 90 HP with the STATOR can safely use an AGM starter battery per Mercury. Been reading a few things that say stators and AGM’s don’t work well together.

4. Member
    The 2-stroke stator engines required a wet cell starting battery, no deep cycle nor AGM. Not sure I'd trust the answer you got, wait for Don to confirm yes or no.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    The 2-stroke stator engines required a wet cell starting battery, no deep cycle nor AGM. Not sure I'd trust the answer you got, wait for Don to confirm yes or no.
    thanks, yeah been reading things like that. Not sure if it’s just for specific stators. I called Mercury yesterday and they said my motor is good with AGM’s. They confirmed that it’s a 35 amp stator when motor is at or above 5000 rpm’s. 22/23 amps at 1000 rpm’s/idle. Also that the stator puts out between 13.8-14.2 volts with a max of 14.5 volts. Will definitely be waiting for his response, I really wanted other educated answers before I could really trust their word. I had to call three times to try to speak to different people because they didn’t sound sure. It went from for sure it’s an alternator to them saying it was a stater after I asked them to please verify. I only asked one of them about the AGM battery situation. Anyways, looking forward to Don’s response!
    Last edited by Lund_Adventurer; 05-25-2022 at 09:16 AM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    For this specific engine model, Mercury has approved AGM battery use. It's voltage regulator (and regulator protection circuitry) are considerably more robust than previous 2-stroke Stator-type systems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    For this specific engine model, Mercury has approved AGM battery use. It's voltage regulator (and regulator protection circuitry) are considerably more robust than previous 2-stroke Stator-type systems.
    Awesome! Thank you Don. I was wondering if you could go into more detail regarding the upgraded more robust voltage regulator and regulator protection circuitry.

1) Since it’s a stator, will it still create max current at the higher RPM’s?

2) So the voltage regular definitely ensures max voltage to be 14.5 volts? Or can there be instances that still push out more than 14.5 volts to the battery?

3) Does this regulator eliminate voltage spikes above 14.5 volts to the battery?

4) Does the voltage regulator prevent the Stator from potentially frying or is the stator system more robust as well which would prevent that in the scenarios where failure could happen to the Stator or battery management system?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What most don't realize is that a Stator-Type system and an Alternator system actually contain virtually the same components- it's just a difference of whether it's a one-piece (belt driven) unit or multiple pieces connected via wiring.

The stator on this engine always makes output- dependent on engine RPM's. It is the job of the Voltage Regulator to rectify that AC current into DC, regulate it's voltage, and when available current is not needed, dissipate excess current to ground.

Other than considerably heavier wiring, the biggest differences are: the regulator cooling method, and the output-circuit fuse that helps to protect the system from over-current situations.

Voltage may run higher than 14.6 VDC on this model- I've seen as high as 14.9 VDC under some conditions.

9. Member
    What most don't realize is that a Stator-Type system and an Alternator system actually contain virtually the same components- it's just a difference of whether it's a one-piece (belt driven) unit or multiple pieces connected via wiring.

The stator on this engine always makes output- dependent on engine RPM's. It is the job of the Voltage Regulator to rectify that AC current into DC, regulate it's voltage, and when available current is not needed, dissipate excess current to ground.

Other than considerably heavier wiring, the biggest differences are: the regulator cooling method, and the output-circuit fuse that helps to protect the system from over-current situations.

Voltage may run higher than 14.6 VDC on this model- I've seen as high as 14.9 VDC under some conditions.
    Hello,

thank you for that explanation. I think things are really starting to click and make a little more sense.

1) Are voltage regulator and Rectifier Regulators synonymous on this particular model with the stator?

2) In what you have explained, with this specific model outboard; is it safe to say that the outboard will continue to safely run if I were to remove the battery without doing damage to the charging system or stator due to the voltage regulator dissipating excess current to ground?

3)In regards to my AGM, if it’s FULLY charged, is it safe to say that the 90 HP outboard’s voltage regulator would dissipate the excess voltage to ground? So it won’t overcharge my AGM battery? Feeding it amps it doesn’t need? All without damaging the outboards stator and battery charging system?

4) The outboard’s Rpms determine the stators output on this motor. Does that mean it’s possible the battery isn’t getting charged at the lower rpm range? Or is that just not possible considering the motor supposedly puts out 22/23 Amps at 1000 RPMs?

10. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Don, any answers to my questions above? I just want to understand how it’s safe for my AGM battery and my Stator and battery management system.
    Last edited by Lund_Adventurer; 05-27-2022 at 05:54 AM.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund_Adventurer View Post
    Hello,

thank you for that explanation. I think things are really starting to click and make a little more sense.

1) Are voltage regulator and Rectifier Regulators synonymous on this particular model with the stator?

2) In what you have explained, with this specific model outboard; is it safe to say that the outboard will continue to safely run if I were to remove the battery without doing damage to the charging system or stator due to the voltage regulator dissipating excess current to ground?

3)In regards to my AGM, if it’s FULLY charged, is it safe to say that the 90 HP outboard’s voltage regulator would dissipate the excess voltage to ground? So it won’t overcharge my AGM battery? Feeding it amps it doesn’t need? All without damaging the outboards stator and battery charging system?

4) The outboard’s Rpms determine the stators output on this motor. Does that mean it’s possible the battery isn’t getting charged at the lower rpm range? Or is that just not possible considering the motor supposedly puts out 22/23 Amps at 1000 RPMs?

1. Synonymous in FUNCTION, but "Voltage Regulator" is the correct term (and name of the component).

2. NO. Under no circumstances should the cranking battery be disconnected from ANY outboard while running (regardless of which type of charging system).

3. That is the function of the Voltage Regulator.

4. This is no different than an alternator system in that amperage output increases with engine RPM's. ***

*** REMEMBER: This system is designed to MAINTAIN the Fully-Charged state of ONE Properly Rated, FULLY CHARGED Cranking Battery. The system is not designed to be a substitute for a battery charger.

13. Member
    Don,

Thank you for the responses.
    In regards to number 4, maybe I misunderstood Mercury technical support but I guess the newer alternator system on the newer motors, manages how many amps go to the battery regardless of how many amps it’s creating at the higher RPM range. There was a name for it that I can’t remember he said.