Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Don's post about gas, has me concerned.

I while back I posted something about my mechanic expressing concerns about ethanol going to 15%. I took note and hoped it wouldn't. Don posted a warning on the Mercury forum to be very careful about where we get gas and pay attention to the % of ethanol. He said the country will see an increase in usage now that the restrictions have been lifted. He said that it has not been used in the summer months for 10 yrs but now it will be. How likely is this to happen to a point where we can't find any 10% ?? He said using 15% will cause damage and void the warranty. So I guess some of may very well be screwed this summer if we can't get 10%....or am I "the sky is falling" syndrome? it won't be that bad?
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

Quote Originally Posted by VA Bass View Post
    or am I "the sky is falling" syndrome? it won't be that bad?
    From my 67 years POV, no you are not and yes it will.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

3. Member
    Luckily i have a few options of ethenol free gas near me
    But man its salty at 5.69 a gallon
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

the scary thing-- There's no guarantee all of them will change the placard on the pumps when the start selling it.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    E15 will not replace E10 because it cannot be used in cars and trucks built before 2001 and it is federally prohibited for use in small motors (lawn mowers, etc.) and outboard motors. You will find E15 becoming more available in the corn growing states, the governor in Iowa last week signed legislation mandating gas stations in Iowa to carry E15 within the next 4 years although there are some carve outs for stations that sell low volumes of fuel. I've made several recent trips to Iowa and have been using E15 and I can't tell any difference in mileage or performance compared to E10 but it costs 25-30 cents per gallon less than E10. Laboratory studies show a mileage reduction of 1-2%. States that grow a lot of corn and have a lot of ethanol production facilities (Iowa is number one for both) will support E15. I don't see a problem but motorists and boaters will need to pay attention to which pump handle they grab.

I don't see any issues locally, yeah some pumps will have 15, but I won't be using them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I don't see any issues locally, yeah some pumps will have 15, but I won't be using them.
    How do you know you are getting what you are paying for now? Are inspections done/ required to test what is suppose to be in the tank actually is?

8. Member
    Not concerned about my truck. But Don says that it can wreak havoc on an outboard if used.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

9. Member
    So stations will have to add another underground tank for E15, guess who will be paying for that.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    So stations will have to add another underground tank for E15, guess who will be paying for that.
    Or just change a tank over maybe.

11. Bob G's pool boy
    Gas stations will be selling diesel. Don't put that in your boat.

Gas stations will be selling Gatorade. Don't put that in your boat.
    Last edited by billspence; 05-24-2022 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Sometimes I dream, that he is me. Like Haus. If I could be like Haus.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

12. Member
    I live in rural PA. I really don't see the concern at all. There are 5 gas stations within 10 miles of my house that sell non ethanol. There are probably more I just never looked. I have not seen any E-15 pumps anywhere close to me. Also if I remember correctly the only ones I have seen were near Bass Pro in Wheeling WVA. In addition these pumps where clearly marked and if you pump the wrong gas I'm not sure what to say. I mean it pretty hard to mistake it.

But I am amazed at growing number of non ethanol gas pumps in my area. Just a few years ago we had none.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

13. Member
    we have all 10% around here. I live in between I 295 and I 95. lots of gas stations
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

Quote Originally Posted by billspence View Post
    Gas stations will be selling diesel. Don't put that in your boat.

Gas stations will be selling Gatorade. Don't put that in your boat.
    +1. If you're too ignorant, and/or cheap, to run the right fuel in your boat then that's on you. If newer vehicles are able to run on E15 then so be it. Personally I won't be using it in my wife's SUV, and my Duramax will obviously get diesel. It's like anything else in this world - you get what you pay for. Autozone has their own brand of motor oil right there on the shelf beside the Mobil 1 Synthetic. Choose the cheap route if you want, but I prefer to spend my money on preventative maintenance instead of fixing things when they go bad because of negligence.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Or just change a tank over maybe.
    Most of the stations here have 87, 89, and 91 E10 for gasoline. They have a tank with 87 and a tank for 91 they draw from both to get 89. I don't know what they will do, I sure the consumer will take it in the shorts.

16. Member
    Ethanol is hard on engines. It does not have the lubrication qualities of standard gas. Just cause your engine is made for doesn't mean it's good for it. If it is a no no in outboards that doesn't make me feel good about putting it in my vehicles. I stay away from E15.

17. Member
    but will we be able to get E10 is my question?

18. Member
    Ethanol is in e10 year round and has been since they started making e10. Now butane is takin out of the gas blends in the summer because of vapor pressure.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Bass View Post
    but will we be able to get E10 is my question?
    ...the government is allowing it to be sold and I don't personally think stations are going to change any tanks or anything of that magnitude. They may stop it later who knows! So getting non ethanol is the only sure way you will not be getting the 15% ethanol IMO.

20. Member
    This threads always amaze me at how many people I guess don’t have access to ethanol free gas around them. All the gas stations near lakes in Alabama have it pretty much.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast