Adirondacks - In Search of Giant Largemouth

Heading up with the boy the last week of August with my Scott freighter canoe. I've never fished up there and I'm hoping to get some recommendations on any lakes that have good populations of largemouth.

I'd need a "ramp", but not much of one. Ideally I'd like a lake with little traffic and a shot at big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralexan View Post
    I'd need a "ramp", but not much of one. Ideally I'd like a lake with little traffic and a shot at big fish.
    Every fisherman's dream.

I PM'd you.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

3. Member
    I fish up there a lot. Only live a half hour from the Blue Line and less than 2hrs to the center of the mountains. My bass club often has tournaments on a few of the central ADK lakes. That said, most of the waters that have a ramp with are big waters for a canoe, and experience heavy boat traffic with all the tourists and Jersey folks overwhelming the towns (DEC prefers to use the term “over loved”).

There’s quite a few lakes that I rarely if ever see another bass boat out there and even during the busy tourist summer season I only see a few handful of bass fisherman out there. I won’t mention those places here. The atmosphere is much better that way. But the lakes are so expansive it’s very easy to find a place to have to yourself.

the biggest hiccup is most places with ramps will have a lot of boat traffic (I.e. Fulton chain, Saranac Chain etc). your best bet would be going to some camp grounds to get away from boat traffic (buck pond, Lake Durant, Fish Creek ponds etc.) and it would limit the amount of fishing pressure.. Nearly every Lake up there has great fishing. Might not get 7lb class fish like you would at cayuga or some of the finger lakes out your way, but I’ve seen some 5+lb fish come out of places regularly.

Lake Flower would be my choice though. Plenty of largemouth, and you get the true ADK atmosphere once you started heading towards Oseetah Lake. The ramp is rarely crowded, Saranac has great food, hotel accommodations, and an awesome tackle shop.

i will say, the best places are the ones that’s car top only.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 05-24-2022 at 08:11 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Paradox and Eagle Lake fit what you are looing for. It really depends on where in the Adirondacks you are staying.

Just a suggestion, but to avoid flooding these smaller places, a Private Message would have been my choice but, I guess the...

6. Member
    The saranac chain and lake flower isn’t a secret. Scott Martin had it on his YouTube channel a few years ago, and his daughter fished it with a guide last summer and posted to her channel as well. Saranac and Tupper have club tournaments they also arent small. Tourists have been exposing the lakes for a while, especially folks from Jersey.

if you noticed, I purposely said I wouldn’t list the places I mostly frequent. With the exception of Fish Creek and Fulton Chain which are places that the OP isnt looking for due to over crowding. if you fish in NY then it’s well known that Durant is a musky and bass fishery and the only ramp is at the campground which significantly limits access. can’t access fish creek without going through the campground too. All those lakes myself and Mike have listed aren’t secrets. They’re very well known. We know well enough not to put down any lakes that have little pressure.

my pet peeve is over crowding and over fishing. Years ago I never saw a bass boat on lake morain. A few weeks ago there were 5 in one day. Same as little sodus. Had a camp there for years and rarely saw a bass boat especially in spring. This past weekend there were 10 bass boats on that small bay.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 05-24-2022 at 06:58 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    The saranac chain and lake flower isn’t a secret. Scott Martin had it on his YouTube channel a few years ago, and his daughter fished it with a guide last summer and posted to her channel as well. Saranac and Tupper have club tournaments they also arent small. Tourists have been exposing the lakes for a while, especially folks from Jersey.

if you noticed, I purposely said I wouldn’t list the places I mostly frequent. With the exception of Fish Creek and Fulton Chain which are places that the OP isnt looking for due to over crowding. if you fish in NY then it’s well known that Durant is a musky and bass fishery and the only ramp is at the campground which significantly limits access. can’t access fish creek without going through the campground too. All those lakes myself and Mike have listed aren’t secrets. They’re very well known. We know well enough not to put down any lakes that have little pressure.

my pet peeve is over crowding and over fishing. Years ago I never saw a bass boat on lake morain. A few weeks ago there were 5 in one day. Same as little sodus. Had a camp there for years and rarely saw a bass boat especially in spring. This past weekend there were 10 bass boats on that small bay.
    I know. Just me "Tilting at Windmills" like Don Quixote and wanting the lakes that still have 'some' or 'whats left of' their "Best days", last a little longer before they're completely overrun.
    Last edited by OBT; 05-24-2022 at 07:58 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    I know. Just me "Tilting at Windmills" like Don Quixote and wanting the lakes that still have 'some' or 'whats left of' their "Best days" to go, last longer before they're completely overrun.
    I completely get it, I have the same thoughts.. it’s a shame the lakes are seeing such ridiculous pressure.. some of my favorite places I rarely fish anymore just because of crowds
    1995 Ranger 481v