Vault Hub End Play

Going through Dexter since this is still under warranty, but curious what others think. I’ve got Vault hubs that are just over 1 year old. Checking them all this spring and both sides spin nice and clean with no noise or drag, but one side has noticeably more play, probably around 1/8”. My initial contact at Dexter said not to do anything with it, but sent me to the warranty department. I sent the details to the contact he gave me for a second opinion. This seems like too much play to me, what does everyone think? How much play is too much?

2. Member
    Just tighten it up a little .Should check them yearly if you tow a lot.Very simple task.

3. Member
    That’s what I always do on my grease hubs, Vaults are a little more of a pain but probably what I’ll end up doing. Just surprised me they said not to mess with them and wondering if it’s common.

4. Member
    The proper way to check end play is with a magnetic base dial indicator. You would attach the mag base to the hub and then the needle would have to be touching the end of the spindle. You have to remove the cap. Then push in and pull out. A usual tolerance for a bearing that size would be .001 to .005". I would check the Vault spec on that. If you think it is 1/8" (.125") you have a problem. I would not go anywhere with a bearing that loose.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

5. Member
    Surprisingly it seems they allow up to 1/8" by the jack up and rock the tire method. I'm not sure what that would actually measure if you were using a dial indicator on the hub, but safe to say it would be well outside normal bearing. I'll be interested on the decision from the warranty department whether I can/should open up and re-adjust. I have a 1200 mile trip at the end of June and I can't see myself driving all that way on a wheel like that and not worrying constantly.

Here is from the Vault owners manual:

BEARING CHECKIf the bearings need to be adjusted or replaced, you must contact UFP first. Wewill help diagnose the problem and send instructions to assure that the work isdone correctly. Failure to contact UFP before the work is begun will void thewarranty.Wheel bearings have been precisely torque-set at the factory. To assure yourbearings are in good working order, we suggest you check your bearingadjustment at least once a year by following this procedure. Jack up on side ofthe trailer (make sure you use jack stands and chock the trailer wheels to keepthe trailer from moving). Grip the edge of the tire and see if you can rock ormove it. If you can move the outer edge of the tire more than 1/8”, your bearingsmay need to be re-adjusted. Contact UFP for warranty instructions

6. Member
    That is a "wheels on" quick check. That is ok to let you know an approximation. It is nice that Vault publishes that for its customers.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    The proper way to check end play is with a magnetic base dial indicator. You would attach the mag base to the hub and then the needle would have to be touching the end of the spindle. You have to remove the cap. Then push in and pull out. A usual tolerance for a bearing that size would be .001 to .005". I would check the Vault spec on that. If you think it is 1/8" (.125") you have a problem. I would not go anywhere with a bearing that loose.
    Bunch of Engineering HS. Everybody has a Mag Base dial indicator in their garage?? Just remove the friggin cap and tighten the castle nut finger tight till the play goes away and go fishing. I have a mag base, not needed for such a simple job.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Bunch of Engineering HS. Everybody has a Mag Base dial indicator in their garage?? Just remove the friggin cap and tighten the castle nut finger tight till the play goes away and go fishing. I have a mag base, not needed for such a simple job.
    The question was "how much play". The OP didn't describe himself as having any experience adjusting bearing end play. The way you describe is not correct even for an experienced technician. If you adjust the bearing without an indicator you first need to seat the bearing with about 30 ft/lb of torque (by feel). Then back off the nut and set end play by feel by tightening. Your way will be too loose after you take it down the road. (25 year Automotive Brake Technician Heavy Equipment)
    Every training class that I have taken starts with a dial indicator so the new mechanics can get a feel for the torques and end play. Then you move on to doing it just by feel and the training instructor checks how close you got. I have seen even experienced tech's blow this by a bunch so I was inclined to provide the "Engineering HS" to the OP.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

9. Member
    Been doing it by feel since high school auto shop in the 70s

10. Member
    Torque castle nut down snug while rotating wheel then back off until loose. Now torque to 25 INCH LBS, which is about as tight as you can get with your fingers. Recheck end play, done.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    The question was "how much play". The OP didn't describe himself as having any experience adjusting bearing end play. The way you describe is not correct even for an experienced technician. If you adjust the bearing without an indicator you first need to seat the bearing with about 30 ft/lb of torque (by feel). Then back off the nut and set end play by feel by tightening. Your way will be too loose after you take it down the road. (25 year Automotive Brake Technician Heavy Equipment)
    Every training class that I have taken starts with a dial indicator so the new mechanics can get a feel for the torques and end play. Then you move on to doing it just by feel and the training instructor checks how close you got. I have seen even experienced tech's blow this by a bunch so I was inclined to provide the "Engineering HS" to the OP.
    Am sorry you feel myself and all others are incorrect on this simple procedure. Industrial Journeyman Millwright, 35 yrs experience. I have installed cups and cones up to 30" diameter (steel mill) using dial indicator and shim packs. The procedure myself and others have mentioned work quite well on a simple boat trailer. As you have mentioned 30 Ft/lb of torque. Junior, that is a floating target based on load, RPM's and manufactures tolerance.. I have been to about every bearing seminar (Timken, Fafner, Dodge) in addition to additional lubrication seminars. Please don't continue to suggest myself and others don't know how to service a simple boat trailer wheel bearing!!!! It's not rocket science!!!

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Am sorry you feel myself and all others are incorrect on this simple procedure. Industrial Journeyman Millwright, 35 yrs experience. I have installed cups and cones up to 30" diameter (steel mill) using dial indicator and shim packs. The procedure myself and others have mentioned work quite well on a simple boat trailer. As you have mentioned 30 Ft/lb of torque. Junior, that is a floating target based on load, RPM's and manufactures tolerance.. I have been to about every bearing seminar (Timken, Fafner, Dodge) in addition to additional lubrication seminars. Please don't continue to suggest myself and others don't know how to service a simple boat trailer wheel bearing!!!! It's not rocket science!!!
    Once again that is you. An experienced skilled tradesman. We are trying to help someone that may not have an understanding as we do. Since neither of us is with the OP we shouldn't be talking 25 to 30 years of "feel". That is just my opinion on how to help. No disrespect intended to others offering to help.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

13. Member
    Other than using gasket sealant on the rear hub and blue locktite on the cap, no real difference. If you think it is loose and seal is not leaking, knock the cap off, tighten nut to spec and put the cap back on.

14. Member
    Appreciate the helpful tips, I’ve adjusted plenty of bearings myself. Not as a job but I’ve hand packed my own grease hubs every spring for as long as I can remember. Was just surprised these allowed so much tolerance, I could personally never go down the road knowing I had that kind of slop in my bearings.

15. Member
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

If you want to get it perfect get some DRP bearing spacers.