Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question ELECTRONICS RECOMMENDATIONS

Hey All,

Picking up my new 20 Pro this week! Standard has an HDS Live 9 on console and at the bow. My skeeter that I’m trading in has a Solix 12 at the console a Solix 10 at the bow and a HDS12 w/active Target (I’m taking this with me)

so as it stands I would have a 9 and 12 up front and a 9 flush mounted at the console. I’m debating on the following scenarios but wanted to see what everyone else would do. Do I…

do (2) 12s up front (1 strictly for Active Target) and (2) 9s at the console (side by side)

do (1) 9 up front for map and sonar and (1) 12 up front for AT and (2) 9s at console

(4) 12s all around

do (1) 9 up front and (1) 12 up front and (2) 12s at console?

Important note is that I receive a significant discount off Lowrance and also would be willing to sell the 2 9s.

just not sure the route I want to go…

Orrr… just have (1) 12 at console and either (2) 12s up front or a 9 and 12

Any input??

thanks!
    Last edited by BigBlueBassin; 05-23-2022 at 08:06 PM.
    Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing. --Henry David Thoreau

2. Member
    2 12s at console
    12 and 9 at bow, or 2 12s at bow.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    2 12s at console
    12 and 9 at bow, or 2 12s at bow.
    thats kind of what I’m leaning towards. Having 2 12s at the console will make a bigger difference over have 2 9s there. Just not sure if I need another 12 up front
    Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing. --Henry David Thoreau

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBassin View Post
    thats kind of what I’m leaning towards. Having 2 12s at the console will make a bigger difference over have 2 9s there. Just not sure if I need another 12 up front
    I have two twelves at my console, one 12 up front that I use for way points plus a Garmin 106sv, this works great for me!

5. Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

Earl laughed at me said that would cost me 2 mph

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Earl laughed at me said that would cost me 2 mph

lol! What do you feel is the advantage of having a 12 upfront along with live sonar? Obviously at the console bigger is better for side and down scan on 1 and then mapping on the other, but what about up front?

7. Member
    I have 4 12s on my boat and like the arrangement a lot. If you can swing it, I would. The second 12 on the bow is nice to have a big split screen with mapping and whatever sonar picture you like, I prefer DI on mine. Two 12s on the console isn't strictly necessary most of the time, two 9s or even one 12 could work unless you do a lot of side imaging and idling. Another alternative could be one 16. All choices are workable with lowrance units. I have two 12s for brand choice, use a Helix 12 for mapping and a Lowrance 12 for everything else. (on a side note, I just got the c-map reveal card so if its as good as the hbird maps I can get rid of that piece of ....)
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    I have 4 12s on my boat and like the arrangement a lot. If you can swing it, I would. The second 12 on the bow is nice to have a big split screen with mapping and whatever sonar picture you like, I prefer DI on mine. Two 12s on the console isn't strictly necessary most of the time, two 9s or even one 12 could work unless you do a lot of side imaging and idling. Another alternative could be one 16. All choices are workable with lowrance units. I have two 12s for brand choice, use a Helix 12 for mapping and a Lowrance 12 for everything else. (on a side note, I just got the c-map reveal card so if its as good as the hbird maps I can get rid of that piece of ....)
    Yea I think I’m going 4 12s! I was thinking of doing a bird at the console but I can’t stand my Solix units and now with C-Map giving up Lakemaster/Humminbird is an easy decision for me lol

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBassin View Post
    lol! What do you feel is the advantage of having a 12 upfront along with live sonar? Obviously at the console bigger is better for side and down scan on 1 and then mapping on the other, but what about up front?
    At 71 years old and bad sight in my left eye i need all the help i can get.

10. Member
    I ended up going the route of (2) HDS 16s. A single 16 is plenty at the bow works fine. I usually split screen between A/T, map and sonar.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    I ended up going the route of (2) HDS 16s. A single 16 is plenty at the bow works fine. I usually split screen between A/T, map and sonar.
    Same here and the one at the bow is flush mounted

12. Member
    I have 4 12s on mine and like the set up. I had a 12 and 9 up front but having the second 12 is a huge improvement for seeing the screen and the image is much better on AT. The only minor issue is I have a dual console and if I have the durasafe locks on the console units (only when traveling away from home), I usually end up ramming my leg into the lock throughout the day.

13. Member
    I have a Lowrance HDS16 at the console and a Lowrance HDS12 & Garmin 1222 at the bow. I like the 16 at the console over two 12s
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    I have a Lowrance HDS16 at the console and a Lowrance HDS12 & Garmin 1222 at the bow. I like the 16 at the console over two 12s
    Randy/Anyone else with a single 16 at the console

I’ve actually just come across this option for a guy wanting to trade his 16 for my two 9s. I’ve just always considered 2 12s (1 for mapping, other for side/down) to be more productive. You think a single 16 at the console would be more than enough?? I don’t do a bunch of scanning but when I do I’d like it to be worth it.

15. Member
    I think the HDS16 is perfect for the console. When I’m scanning I split my screen in half (top half/bottom half). On the top half I have 3 boxes for mapping, 2d, and DI. The bottom half of the screen is entirely side imaging. It’s plenty big to see everything. The user interface on Lowrance easily allows people to configure your screen any way you like it.

You can’t go wrong with two 12s or one 16.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

16. Member
    I just rebuilt my dash and removed 2 12s and installed a hds 16.

17. Member
    I had two 12’s at the console on my last two boats, went with a 16 on my current rig and never again will I have the 12’s. The 16 doesn’t hang out each side of the console and the 16 is plenty big enough to split screen and see it all. I may even go to one 16 at the bow as well, damn sure cheaper that way as well.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    I had two 12’s at the console on my last two boats, went with a 16 on my current rig and never again will I have the 12’s. The 16 doesn’t hang out each side of the console and the 16 is plenty big enough to split screen and see it all. I may even go to one 16 at the bow as well, damn sure cheaper that way as well.
    I think you all have convinced me to go 1 16 at the console

I thought (2) 12’s was the way to go on the console until I did it for a year. I’ve went back to a single unit mounted on a BBT mount @ the console. I couldn’t get used to the left unit being in the way climbing into & out of the driver seat. Not terribly bad but 100% enough to be irritable at times.

20. Member
    I definitely recommend the BBT mount. I previously had the precision sonar mount. Both are rock solid but the BBT sits a little higher and the steering wheel doesn’t block the screen.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast