Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Cowboy Killers! haha

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    How do you get a smoked flavor?

I have tried to do several, smoked in the 225 range and can never get the desired results. Its always dry and bland. I have never tired a doing anything near 10 Lbs though. I have always bought the small 2-3 lb vacuum packed version at Food Lion, and not a big one cut by a butcher fresh.
    I have had it in Texas, and man is it amazing, but my family isn't a fan of the smoke flavor, so its always kept me from doing a big one.
    Will a 10-12lb brisket fit on a medium sized BGE?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh* View Post
    I have tried to do several, smoked in the 225 range and can never get the desired results. Its always dry and bland. I have never tired a doing anything near 10 Lbs though. I have always bought the small 2-3 lb vacuum packed version at Food Lion, and not a big one cut by a butcher fresh.
    I have had it in Texas, and man is it amazing, but my family isn't a fan of the smoke flavor, so its always kept me from doing a big one.
    Will a 10-12lb brisket fit on a medium sized BGE?
    Those things are nasty. Most have been trimmed and seasoned for corned beef. Just get a small flat and do it. Don’t even worry about using any kind of wood the first time just slow and steady
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

4. Member
    Thanks Mark, that was timely. I'll be doing one for next weekend. I've done some good butts, but this will be my first try on a brisket. Sounds like I don't need to worry about finding a rub, just use salt and pepper. Makes sense. I do beef ribs from time to time and that's all I use and they always turn out great.

5. Moderator
    That was a tough read. Been cooking briskets for a while and not very often have a bad one. Never heard of a propane smoker that runs on wood logs or brisket with a bone. For me the only seasoning I use is salt and pepper. Been asked many times what I use for seasoning and people don't believe me when I say salt and pepper. Went to Costco and found an 18lb prime brisket for $3.49 a pound. Sounds like a lot at the end but it's enough to feed a small army.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think a lot of people try to do too much with the seasoning aspect instead of just letting tbe meat and the smoke be the stars. They foo foo it up with exotic rubs that don't add much of anything to the finished product.
    Then the other thing is so many people try to overcomplicate it. Trim it, lightly season it, put in smoker, maintain heat and leave it the hell alone. Don't peek at it every hour, don't jack with it. Smoke and time will do the work.
    This. Simple trimming and seasoning, put it on at 225 and don't open the lid till the temp reads 203. Has never failed me yet.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12