Salt-heavy baits besides Yamamoto

The other day I randomly decided to toss around a large flappin hog and they were eating it! Couldn't get them to bite anything else quite as good. What other brands make a creature/craw bait that is really salt heavy like the flappin hog?

Thanks!
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

2. Member
    Can't remember the brand, there is one called Salty Sinker.

3. mikesxpress
    Bass can't detect salt in/on lures. Same with most "fish attractants" being sold. Read the book: Knowing Bass: The Scientific Approach to Catching More Fish by Keith Jones Ph.D. The scientific testing done by Dr. Jones, and published in this book, defeats the most common myths associated with fishing. Invaluable reading.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Bass can't detect salt in/on lures. Same with most "fish attractants" being sold. Read the book: Knowing Bass: The Scientific Approach to Catching More Fish by Keith Jones Ph.D. The scientific testing done by Dr. Jones, and published in this book, defeats the most common myths associated with fishing. Invaluable reading.
    Good lord, I just googled the book, because you got my interest in it. Going for $240-$300! YIKES, think I'll pass

Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    Good lord, I just googled the book, because you got my interest in it. Going for $240-$300! YIKES, think I'll pass
    Look up the book titleKnowing Bass: The Scientific Approach to Catching More Fish

Go to Good Reads and search under “Libraries”. Enter your whole postal address, and find a source library near you. I found a copy in the Washington County (Ark) library system.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    I always though salt was mixed in to add weight to the plastic to make it have an erratic action on the fall.

Well there has to be something about having salt impregnated baits because Gene Larew has made millions off their patent on it
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    I always though salt was mixed in to add weight to the plastic to make it have an erratic action on the fall.
    This is exactly it. Whether salt makes bass bite/hold on longer can remain up for debate but salt impregnated baits cast a lot farther!
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

9. Member
    Former Owner of a 2007 Ranger 180 VS 150 2 Stroke Vmax

10. Member
    Additionally, salt and silica cost less than plastisol. HC

11. Member
    I think Al should close this thread, SHUSH !

12. Member
    Fascinating book. Puts lots of BS to rest. I was able to get it through interlibrary loan

Gee, only a little less than a $1 per page !!!! Think I'll pass on this one, LOL !1!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Member
    Chompers are very salty. Work great too on a jig.

15. mikesxpress
    That book by Dr. Jones contains independent scientific studies of largemouth bass behavior and details there reactions to colors, sound, and taste. Myth busters for bass fisherman. Read it and you'll reduce your tackle inventory by 75%.

Why isn't it in print any more? It's devastating to the tackle industry.

Bass don't read books, seem to me scent has always helped,why do "mousies" work so well when using them for panfish, as they don't move but smell. Why does Gulp work so well over plain plastics? Only a $300 book lol.

17. mikesxpress
    Bless your heart....
    A portion of that same book details the development of Gulp and why it is one of the few attractants that can aide fisherman.

That book by Dr. Jones contains independent scientific studies of largemouth bass behavior and details there reactions to colors, sound, and taste. Myth busters for bass fisherman. Read it and you'll reduce your tackle inventory by 75%.

Why isn't it in print any more? It's devastating to the tackle industry.
    Isn't it written by someone that works for a tackle manufacturer?

19. mikesxpress
    Dr. Jones was conducting the research in a lab funded by Berkeley at the time. The results of the scent/attractant portion of his research lead to the development of what is now Gulp. Scent/attractants are a very small portion of the information in the book, and very little information on Gulp development. I found the studies on sound & color to be of the most important.

20. Member
    Salt also has an impact on texture. Dissolving salt creates little craters in the bait making the texture rougher similar to the scales of a baitfish.