Loc-R-Bar lock won’t unlock?

I have been using for about 6 months without issues now the lock won’t unlock…tried all 3 keys…luckily the bar was not on my boat at the time or I would have been in a jam! TH marine replaced the lock under warranty but this situation got me thinking about what happens if this repeats itself and I can’t unlock it when it’s on my boat? Anyone hear of problems with these locks? Maybe use a different lock? Thanks for input
    Tom Campagna
    2019 Ranger Z521L/ Merc 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Pro Staff
    Angler's Choice Marine / Ranger Boats / Mercury / Power Pole / Vicious Fishing / F150 LEDs
    www.tcbassfishing.com
    @tcbassfishing

2. Member
    I had a loc-r-bar on my last boat…not on current boat. As I recall, I used a long shank Master Lock on mine. Never had an issue locking/unlocking. Good luck. Can’t be too careful in today’s environment.

3. Member
    Master Lock on mine for the last 16 years.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tc080 View Post
    I have been using for about 6 months without issues now the lock won’t unlock…tried all 3 keys…luckily the bar was not on my boat at the time or I would have been in a jam! TH marine replaced the lock under warranty but this situation got me thinking about what happens if this repeats itself and I can’t unlock it when it’s on my boat? Anyone hear of problems with these locks? Maybe use a different lock? Thanks for input
    I am not familiar with bar or lock! Locks in general need to be lubed from time to time especially if in the weather. Use graphite never any type oil. A puff of graphite in key hole and once open on the lock shackle will likely correct problem.

5. Member
    I went with this lock, It is a tight fit on the Loc-R-Bar but that is a good thing. No way to get to the shank with large bolt cutters...
    M50XD.jpg
    https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/M50XD
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate

6. Member
    Slide a sheet of plastic under the bar and lock, get some lube into the lock.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

That "Alarm" lock is a POS !! I went with a Heavy Duty Master Lock on mine.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    I used the alarm lock for a while but also use a long shank master lock or even some trailer tongue locks will work when you forget the masterlock. I have a cordless grinder with a diamond blade in my tool box that would come in handy if the lock sticks.

9. Member
    Long Shank Masterlock and use spray lube with teflon.
    Z0tGBvkcpEx_.JPG

10. Member
    Just use the winch/strap/bow hook. Word on the street is it will easily remove the entire lock bar and no tools are needed.

11. Member
    Thanks all, I lubed the lock and it opened…must have been a stuck tumbler in there from riding in rough conditions…
    Tom Campagna
    2019 Ranger Z521L/ Merc 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Pro Staff
    Angler's Choice Marine / Ranger Boats / Mercury / Power Pole / Vicious Fishing / F150 LEDs
    www.tcbassfishing.com
    @tcbassfishing

I also switched to a Long Shank Master Lock... I may use the alarm lock if I am staying at hotel or similar on an overnighter, but for general use the Master get's the nod... Mine is an older Master Long Shank... seems current Master Locks are getting terrible reviews, I guess they've gone offshore. If buying now I would look at ABUS locks.

https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/930DLHPF