Which protec to use?

I've got some protec left over from a year ago I've been thinking of using. The gel coat doesn't look bad since the last time I did it but how do I know when to use the nu paint vs the sealant? Also which pads do I use? I remember nupaint was wool but forget the polish pad recommended.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

2. Member
    Correct on NuPaint pad being wool. I use 3M foam waffle pad for sealant with great results.

The Nu Paint is a compound so it would use a wool cutting pad or a cutting foam pad. The Sealant Polish is a sealer/wax type product that would be applied by hand or a “finishing” foam pad. If 3M it prolly should be blue, TCB global is black I believe…it just needs to be a “finishing” pad not just a 3M foam waffle pad as stated above.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Thanks for letting me know guys. would using the nupaint be a bad thing to do if the gel isn't badly oxidized or scratched? I'd follow up with the polish afterwards.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

5. Member
    Like Crank says, the Nupaint "moisturizer" is a compound, so I would think if your finish is good it's an unnecessary step. I would do 2 coats of the sealer as per instructions. I've been using this pro-tec system for 3 years now and It's great. The sealer is so easy to use that in the summer I do a coat on the top-cap every month to keep up the UV protection....no effort and it doesn't take long....by hand, not buffer
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Like Crank says, the Nupaint "moisturizer" is a compound, so I would think if your finish is good it's an unnecessary step. I would do 2 coats of the sealer as per instructions. I've been using this pro-tec system for 3 years now and It's great. The sealer is so easy to use that in the summer I do a coat on the top-cap every month to keep up the UV protection....no effort and it doesn't take long....by hand, not buffer
    Thanks for the input. I might just do the sealer then. I've never thought of doing it monthly but it would keep it protected and lookin good so I may start doing that too.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...