Stern Eye Upgrade, Preventing Transom Rot

Last season I had a problem where one of my stern eyes came loose. Luckily I noticed it before the transom got wet. When the issue occured I pulled both eyes, inspected the internals of the transom, reinstalled and sealed the eyes and added 4"x4" aluminum backer plates on the storage compartment side. From factory they come with cheap thin metal stern eyes which in my opinion can lead to hardware loosening.

I found these online. They are fully welded with much thicker/oversized plates on the outside vs just a compression fit. Also, the threads do not go all the way to the outer plate. They have a shoulder to better support the eye. I also like the fact that the D shape on the eye is shorter in length. I always felt as though the factory style allowed too much leverage downward.

Just passing this along as I know transom issues are always a fear with our boats. I intend to install a set of these and keep the 4"x 4" backer plates as extra insurance. Anyone else see or use these?
    Factory style-
    Southco style-
    http://www.uglyfishinc.com/southco-m...32-9107724.htm
    1997 ChampioN Elite 202
    1997 200HP Mercury EFI

2. Member
    Man those look nice. Might have to grab a set to try them out. I wonder what the torque spec is?

3. Member
    Those do look nice, I am thinking about replacing my bow eye soon. Thank you for the link!

BassCat sell em on their sight, made with US steel. Stay away from the China crap.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    BassCat sell em on their sight, made with US steel. Stay away from the China crap.
    Where on their site did you see they were made in china? The metric measurments? Honest question.

Also, I looked on BassCats site, I could only find the version that my boat currently has. The type I am trying to replace.
    1997 ChampioN Elite 202
    1997 200HP Mercury EFI

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Nice.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

I was saying in general, not point a finger at the ones you have posted.

Quote Originally Posted by IN Champ View Post
    Where on their site did you see they were made in china? The metric measurments? Honest question.

Also, I looked on BassCats site, I could only find the version that my boat currently has. The type I am trying to replace.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    I was saying in general, not point a finger at the ones you have posted.
    I understand. There was no offense taken. I would prefer American as well.
    1997 ChampioN Elite 202
    1997 200HP Mercury EFI

Thanks for sharing

10. Member
    I put those in my Tracker when I was replacing things, also use the Stainless Ny-Lock Nuts so any vibration doesn't affect them, torqued them the same as motor bolts torque.

11. Member
    Have you installed these yet? Curious if they fit the factory hole okay.