First time Brisket cook, very dry??

Here is what I did.
    6 1/2 lb Brisket, day before cook trimmed fat, put on rub (Longhorn) wrapped in tinfoil and placed in refrigerator.
    Next morning at 6am preheated Rec Teq 590 to 250 and put on Brisket (without foil) fat side down. Cooked until probe tender (about 205 degrees). Took off grill, wrapped in tinfoil and towel for 1 1/2 hours. Unwrapped and it looked BEAUTIFUL!! Started to carve (against the grain) and it was very tender BUT dry. Cut entire Brisket and it was very tender but very dry.
    Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Thanks, John

It may have been bad beef. Where did you get it from? Was it Choice or Prime? I always place my brisket in a pan and wrap with pan with foil
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

I like fat side up so all that juice doesn't just drip away.

4. Member
    I got it from Costco and it was choice.

John

5. Member
    Next time, fat side up. Start brisket at room temp if you can 230° for three hrs. Remove and wrap and replace on smoker. Bring to 205. Remove and wrap with a towel and place in cooler for up to an hr. You’ll only lose 5-10°. Try to leave 1/2” of fat before cooking.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
    Next time, fat side up. Start brisket at room temp if you can 230° for three hrs. Remove and wrap and replace on smoker. Bring to 205. Remove and wrap with a towel and place in cooler for up to an hr. You’ll only lose 5-10°. Try to leave 1/2” of fat before cooking.
    Wrap in tinfoil or paper?

John

7. Member
    I prefer parchment, but whatever works. That first part of the cook will tighten the outside of the brisket which helps to retain the juices. Kinda like searing. My last brisket was 19 lbs and took 26 hrs in total. Absolutely fantastic.

8. Member
    Thanks all.

John

9. Member
    I'll add to not place the rub on the night before but right before you put on smoker. If it's a pretty salty rub then the salt will draw out the moisture. On fat up or down, it depends on where your smoker is hottest. If more heat is coming over the top then go fat up and vice versa (keep the fat closest to the most heat). On foil vs paper, I use pink butcher paper to let it breathe more (better bark) but the foil should actually keep the moisture in better, so theoretically you should get moister meat but a little soggier bark. Some folks will add some beef broth or something similar prior to wrapping in foil to help get a moister meat. With choice meat, you may have overcooked a little, usually the higher the quality, the higher the finish temp but you did say you cooked to probe tender so that should've been good. I just realized that you said you cooked to 205 and then wrapped so the last thing I'll add is that I usually wrap at the end of the stall not the end of the cook, I bet this is the mistake you made but I could be wrong. Many folks wrap during or just before the stall as well. Good luck!!

10. Member
    Brisket is one of the easiest cuts to cook with one exception. I is easy to cook it jus ta little to long and end up with dry meat. It can still be tasty but dry if you overcook it. Knowing when it is done is where the skill/experience comes in. A thermometer will not tell the tale.

My guess is you overcooked it slightly. Keeping more of the fat cap on can help it baste itself with the fat.

I do not wrap and prefer unwrapped meat but many folks use the crutch and end up with a good finished product.

11. Member
    I'd say without seeing it and that weight you probably did a flat only. Being a choice cut it probably didn't have good marbeling and that's responsible for the dryness. Some are just not great. Maybe a bit overcooked too but typically overcooked is still pretty juicy just falls apart easily. Try a full prime packer and see how it goes in comparison.

I do fat side down on the egg. Heat comes up from the bottom even if it’s indirect. Makes a difference? I don’t know. Just what I do. I’ve bought several select grade meats from wally world that turned out great. Brisket takes a little
    practice. If they are dry you can quickly steam the slices to get some moisture back into them without losing flavor.

I usually leave the fat cap alone unless it’s really thick. Then I go slowly on the trimming.