2006 Champ 198 Trailer Suspension

Hello,

My 16-year ol champ 198 tandem axel trailer has original suspension and noticed starting to sag and squeaky on bumps. Should I replace everything (springs, equalizer, bolts, hangers) or just springs? Anyone who has same trailer done the replacement? Any input/advice much appreciated.

2. Member
    Jt, check your trailer frame just above the spring eye shackle on the equalizer side. If the spring eye and shackle are contacting the frame I would go ahead and replace what you think is necessary.

I replaced everything on my 2006 198. 4 Springs 1500lbs each, U bolts, Dexter wet bolt system. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...71-652-00.html

See the area above the spring eyes on frame. That is where the spring eye and shackle were contacting the frame. I have indents across the frame where the the contact area is.

wet bolt.jpg

The only advice.....If you can remove boat from trailer, that is a AAA +. If you use the wet bolt system, do not over tighten the lock nuts on the bolt. You want that bolt to be able to rotate in the spring eye sleeve.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Man, I really appreciate your help. Did you order your springs and and U bolts from etrailer.com?

This is all new to me. For the springs, do you know which model you installed? I am a little confused by the 1,500lbs each, does that net out to 6,000#, meaning do you add all together to get support load? I don't see 1,500 lbs springs on e-trailer, lowest is 2,000

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbass09 View Post
    This is all new to me. For the springs, do you know which model you installed? I am a little confused by the 1,500lbs each, does that net out to 6,000#, meaning do you add all together to get support load? I don't see 1,500 lbs springs on e-trailer, lowest is 2,000
    Yes, 1500lbs each X 4 = 6000 total. That will match the 6000lb Dexter wet system. I ordered the Dexter wet bolts from etrailer. The springs I ordered from SDtrucksprings. Look at the measurements for springs,https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...5d33994dc6361e, make sure they measure the same as the springs that are on your trailer. I ordered the US 1040 springs for my trailer, but be sure the measurements are the same for yours.

If I remember correctly, the shackles on the wet system are just a little shorter than the Champion shackles. It raised my trailer a little, maybe an inch.
    Last edited by Ed R; 05-23-2022 at 01:33 PM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Member
    I did new shackles and equalizers on my 1999 203 trailer and it made a world of a difference. Before I could make the trailer bounce up and down just by using my hand.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    I did new shackles and equalizers on my 1999 203 trailer and it made a world of a difference. Before I could make the trailer bounce up and down just by using my hand.
    I did basically the same thing on my 08 210. Replaced everything BUT the springs. Did I goof ?
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    Looks like my 2003 188 trailer springs are contacting the trailer as well….I’m gonna have to try and figure this thread out and do mine.