Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Agree. I start my coals. Go in and got my stuff ready and the coals are ready to go
    Same here. Chimney starter, go in cut up some toppers, prep whatever sides I am gonna have, throw the burgers on the grill, flip, and then its time to assemble. There is no down time waiting for anything, ever. The only way to go. My gf said she wants a gas grill when she moves in, I told her that is one thing I will not compromise on, and she is fine with that, I'll do the grilling.

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    I have both and agree..
    My SmokeHollow grill has 4 gas burners, a charcoal area, a big infrared burner and a fire box to utilize the charcoal side as a pretty decent size smoker. I do what’s convenient at the time. I love it all, but charcoal does give it that extra flavor!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    I like em both on the charcoal grill, and on the blackstone. None of them frozen patty's for me though. Need to be somewhat freshly ground.

4. Member
    I like the quickness of natural gas for my Weber grill and as long as I don't see pink inside, I'm good.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I like wood flavor on all my meats.....with my gas grill I got a smoke box.....cast iron.....I load it up with my favorite wood chips and put it on the burner side, leave the burner off on the other side and put the burgers on there.....smoke flavor and you can move them closer to the heat if in a hurry.....

6. Member
    Neither. Flat top or on cast iron, smash them out thin and they're the best burgers I've ever had. So much more flavor and I don't feel like a bloated mess after one of those monster thick patties you'd get at like a restaurant. Gas grill makes it easier too with cooking them outside, I got some 12"x18" flat cast iron pans that I can just throw on the grill, they heat up fast and even, and then the house doesn't smell like burgers the rest of the day.

I've cooked for so long on my Big Green Eggs that I can taste propane when burgers are cooked on a propane grill.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

8. Member
    Charcoal is great... but it is something you have to prepare for in advance. My favorite is cooked slow in a cast iron skilled with some bacon grease.

9. Member
    Had a $60k patio with outdoor kitchen built last year with Blaze appliances and haven’t even lit the gas grill yet. Use my RecTeq pellet grill and the griddle all the time though.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Had a $60k patio with outdoor kitchen built last year with Blaze appliances and haven’t even lit the gas grill yet. Use my RecTeq pellet grill and the griddle all the time though.
    We may need to see pics of your kitchen, sounds awesome! I just got mine done a few weeks ago, just not sure how to post pics here.

11. Member
    I prefer the taste of lump charcoal. Like others have said, start the coals then go in and prep everything else, and by then it’s ready to cook.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Blackstone

13. Member
    We love our 85 dollar coal grill and its not gonna rust out the propane tubes in like 5 years and i would keep it wiped down and covered all year when not in use. Just got tired of spending 500 on a gas grill then having to dismember it to throw it away when it was done. Only good thing is once i needed some stainless steel to make a plate for a project so I cut out a piece from the lid of my gas grill that had to be thrown away. right now I just use the kingsford matchlight and regular, but Im thinkig of trying some of the lump coals. Man those burgers do taste good on coal though. That coming from someone who had gas grills all my life. I do agree that it done t take long to get the coals hot. I get the going and then start to make my patties and set the table and bam its time. Plus its the whole experience thing that we like, something about getting the coals lit means good grubs are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Charcoal is the way to go if your not in a hurry.
    leaf blower if you're in a hurry

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger521znem View Post
    man i tell you i sent to charcoal last year and i will never go back to gas. I love hamburgers on the grill. tha flavor is so good on the coals. AT LEAST FOR ME AND WIFE now. They taste so good.

What ya all think or just dont care.
    To answer your question, charcoal is always better than gas, but gas is more convenient. We use gas at home, and charcoal at the cabin.

However, my absolute favorite to make are to smoke the burgers for 20-30 minutes, then finish them on the grill. They are amazing!

16. Member
    I grilled some on the charcoal pit, invited the neighbors wife over to try em. I am not saying they were great, but, she threatened to leave her husband.

17. Member
    Charcoal if time permits!

18. Member
    Charcoal all the way..... Personally i do not find it inconvenient at all. I have a Weber performer which has a propane charcoal igniter. All i do it pour in the lump, light the propane and come back in 20 and it's ready to go. That 20 min is spent prepping whatever i plan to cook.... Its really no less convenient than a gas at all since you have to warm those up too. Plus the ash is really good for my garden....

My wife is a convert, she wanted a gas since its what she was used to before we met. I refused and told her a gas grill is not allowed in my world. These days she cant even eat food cooked on a gas grill, she says she can taste the propane fumes on the food.
    Last edited by jb882; 05-24-2022 at 09:55 AM.

19. Member
    I got rid of my charcoal and gas grills. I bought a small Rec Tec pellet and never looked back. I put my burgers on at 250 and I may or may not flip them once. Easily the best burgers I've ever cooked. I owned a business that had a grill and cooked on it for ten years. My female friend at the time won the bid on our city parks concession stands so I also cooked at our local ball park on charcoal for three years a couple of nights a week. I have cooked thousands of burgers. The Rec Tec turns out better food than the charcoal grill or griddle.

20. Member
    Same here-gas for quick convenience during the week, but charcoal on the weekends. Burgers are best over charcoal and the extra time allows for more beer drinking while waiting. I’m pondering getting a pellet grill. How long does it take to get a pellet grill heated up and ready to cook?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast