Ultrex takes 5 seconds to engage and then vibration issues.

Fishing yesterday and after deploying the motor for the first time (36v 112), there was no response from pressing the foot switch. Tried engaging the auto pilot from the foot pedal buttons and no response either until after about 4-5 seconds and then the prop would start turning. I turned off the auto pilot, and tried it by manually stepping on the foot switch, and sure enough after about 5 seconds the prop would start turning. It would keep going until I let off the switch, and then the whole process would start over again. Also, when the motor is running I was getting noticeable vibration. It felt like the prop was loaded up with weeds, but it was clean.

I replaced the prop with a brand new one, and this didn't help much, if at all. I noticed that when I spun the prop by hand, nothing felt rough in the motor but the ring where the prop comes into contact with the motor wasn't flush all the way around. Also it seemed like there was way more play than there should have been when I pulled directly back on the prop. I bet the prop assembly would travel a good 1/4" when I pulled on it. I'm guessing the seals and something else in there must be shot.

If anyone has any suggestions on what's going on, I would appreciate it.

2. Member
    Maybe water intrusion?
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    The vibration is probably related to a bent shaft. take the pro off and run the motor on low speed and see if the shaft wobbles. The slow response could be water issue in the motor assembly. Is the skag lined up with the motor shaft? Loosen one of the bolts with 5/16 socket an see if water drips out from where the bolt sits.

Took the prop off and everything looked lined up. Ran the motor and put a sharpie on the shaft and it looked straight but must be off a little. One of the bolts was maybe finger tight and the other one was loose. Reddish/black water came out when I loosened the finger tight bolt. Bought the motor 02/2020. I'm going to give Johnson Outdoors a call tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

5. Member
    if that date is correct the motor is under warranty take it to your nearest minnkota shop for repairs

Minn Kota is shipping a new lower unit/shaft to me so kudos to them.

7. Member
    Glad to hear the good news! Thanks for the follow up. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go