Helix Networking Question

I have a Helix 7 MSI g3n and a Helix MDI 7 g3n that are connected direct with an Ethernet cable. When they are powered up I do not have a network tab in the menu. I saved some waypoints today on the bow thinking they would be at the console but they weren’t. I turned the sonar off while in the garage and checked the connections, did a factory restore and still nothing. Not sure what to check next. Today is the first time I have tried them together. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have another ethernet cord to try? You might be able to borrow one too. They do go bad…

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I will see about borrowing one to check. Boat is new. Was just trying to do some trouble shooting to see if it could be something simple before contacting the dealer.

4. Member
    Were both units on and have a GPS fix, they only share waypoints. Waypoints are only stored on the unit that the waypoint was made with.

Both units were on at the time. When I got home I put the boat in the garage, turned both on and sonar off but no network option in the menus. I checked the connection on both and they were secure. I also did a restore but still no network tab in the menus.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos92 View Post
    Both units were on at the time. When I got home I put the boat in the garage, turned both on and sonar off but no network option in the menus. I checked the connection on both and they were secure. I also did a restore but still no network tab in the menus.
    The Network tab does not display until the unit recognizes Ethernet is functioning.
    If it ever did and you do Restore Defaults, that tab will be deleted until Ethernet is recognized again.

BUT the tab won't show up until you do a restart. AND Networking is not instant, it can take a couple of minutes for the units to detect it.

Sooooo, start-the units up and wait about 5 minutes, turn them off, and restart them. If Ethernet was functioning, you will get the Network tab. If not, fix your Ethernet connection issue. You have three parts that have to work, 2 Adapters and the Ethernet cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

And when Network is functioning, you will have both units listed under the 2D tab, both listed under the Temp1 tab and Temp2 tab, both units listed under the GPS tab, and both units will be listed under the DI tab.
    Only the SI unit will be listed under the SI tab on both units.
    The SI unit is the only one that has SI to share, so that is the only source you can select.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The Network tab does not display until the unit recognizes Ethernet is functioning.
    If it ever did and you do Restore Defaults, that tab will be deleted until Ethernet is recognized again.

BUT the tab won't show up until you do a restart. AND Networking is not instant, it can take a couple of minutes for the units to detect it.

Sooooo, start-the units up and wait about 5 minutes, turn them off, and restart them. If Ethernet was functioning, you will get the Network tab. If not, fix your Ethernet connection issue. You have three parts that have to work, 2 Adapters and the Ethernet cable.
    I did that and still nothing. Should they still network in the garage with the sonar off? Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos92 View Post
    I did that and still nothing. Should they still network in the garage with the sonar off? Thanks for the info!
    Yes, I was doing all of that in my garage to verify what I posted.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

If you do get a chance to borrow one, you do not have to run it down the gunnel. Just lay it on the deck because you are just troubleshooting. My last boat came with a bad ethernet cable. It failed in the first 5 hours, just as you are describing.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    My buddies boat came with flush mounted helix 7, and the Helix 7 does not have the connector trip. He would have cords pull out all the time and give issues like this. Mostly due to how the boat was rigged, but just something to consider.