New RT188 Thoughts

So... my motor warranty is running out. I like having the outboard under warranty. This has had me looking at a new RT and thinking of trading...

I want to stay with the RT188. It suits me fine and is a great boat to fish from....it does smallish water and bigger water both. I really like the boat ----- I am just getting the itch to trade for a new boat...

So, I look at them and shop and look at pricing. I cannot believe what they are costing now. A new one fairly loaded with goodies is pushing $40,000. Not quite 40 but pushing it. Maybe even over that when you figure taxes and all that. I mean... FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR AN ALUMINUM RT ?????

I am stopping even shopping or looking. I will gamble on the motor and stuff and I have it like I want it. My itch for a new boat has stopped itching.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    So... my motor warranty is running out. I like having the outboard under warranty. This has had me looking at a new RT and thinking of trading...

I want to stay with the RT188. It suits me fine and is a great boat to fish from....it does smallish water and bigger water both. I really like the boat ----- I am just getting the itch to trade for a new boat...

So, I look at them and shop and look at pricing. I cannot believe what they are costing now. A new one fairly loaded with goodies is pushing $40,000. Not quite 40 but pushing it. Maybe even over that when you figure taxes and all that. I mean... FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR AN ALUMINUM RT ?????

I am stopping even shopping or looking. I will gamble on the motor and stuff and I have it like I want it. My itch for a new boat has stopped itching.
    I’d keep what you have but admittedly I don’t see boat prices coming down. Maybe the prices will flatten but one can hope. Be sure you take a close look at the new RT188 as I think you have one of the early ones. The new ones look like the original but there are a lot of small changes that may or may not be important to you. For example. It’s a bit narrower beam at the front.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

3. Member
    I’m a former Ranger dealer from way back…..keep what you have as long as it’s running good. Save up your “new boat” payment and re-power yours if the motor goes. But that’s just me. When I sold my dealership in 2006, you had to work really hard to spend 60k on a new glass boat and 18-20k on a new tin rig. Now that won’t touch one.
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

I had my old 2006 Mercury for 16 years and it never had an issue. I made sure I kept up on maintenance which really wasn't that much.

5. Member
    With my recent health challenges, I haven't been fishing as much. My 2015 Opti has 105 hours and the warranty runs out next year. My dealer advised keeping my motor because they have a 1500 hour life, and my use of 89 octane fuel, Star Tron Conditioner and Ring Cleaner has my induction system pristine. I'm looking for a warranty extension with the cost of a new 115 at 15-18k.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

6. Member
    Contact Don at European Marine and see if you qualify for an extended warranty (protection plan), if so Don can save you some $$ if you choose to go that route

I just Re-powered my RT188. I had a 115 Optimax with almost 700 hours. It ran great and was in good shape but I felt that I should trade it while it had value.
    I traded it for a new 115 Merc 4 stroke with 5 years Platinum warranty. Love it.
    I have a lot of custom mods on my boat and trailer and now have it
    just like I want it. I looked at a new one yesterday and the price is almost double what I paid in 2013.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    Keep the motor, insure yourself with your own cash, and treat your motor gently

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

9. Member
    I would keep it. What I am doing. My motor has until the end of this year I believe similar to you. But I am always looking at boats just cause. Ever since my hull cracked on my 198p I feel like it's going to do it again. But its been almost a year now with no issues. I don't know what I am worried about lol. The new ones are so much now I really don't think they are worth it. Pricing isn't going to get any better either like mentioned above. I'm going to just enjoy what I have and when it's time for a new one, I guess I will deal with that when the day comes. But no way I am going to pay almost 50k for a new 198p. I feel like an aluminum boat cannot cost that much to make and this newer pricing is ridiculous and pure greed.
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke

10. Member
    What did they do to fix your 198...reweld or replace the hull??

In my first post, I said I am through shopping. I will still look, but my fever to buy a new boat has passed.

I would not worry about your 198 if it has been a year.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

11. Member
    I would keep your boat and not worry about it. Yeah, it's going to be a new boat but it won't perform any different. Save the money and enjoy what you have!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    What did they do to fix your 198...reweld or replace the hull??

In my first post, I said I am through shopping. I will still look, but my fever to buy a new boat has passed.

I would not worry about your 198 if it has been a year.

Luckily I caught it before anything major. The keel had a tiny crack in the weld on the driver side. They rewelded the keel. My dealer also installed these "braces" 3 of them to be exact where the keel likes to crack on these boats. It's kind of ugly if we are being honest but it's held up great. I just think the 1st owner beat it up some. I slow down when it's windy and baby it like my old fiberglass. And I have had zero issues with it. Absolutely love fishing from my boat.
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke