Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Literally a Ford vs Chevy vs GMC vs Toyota question

I currently own a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost and full towing package. I love this truck.

That said, it has 151,000 miles and has started to throw a check engine light and was not shifting gears properly, especially under a load (like towing my boat).

So, my BBC bretheren, while I was not planning to buy a new/new to me truck, I find myself considering one. It has been years since I have looked and am not really familiar with what's out there.

What should I be looking at:
    - Make/Model
    - Engine/trim package
    - Years
    - anything to specifically stay away from

Prior to this Ford I had a Toyota Tundra. Those are the only trucks I have owned. Would prefer a 4x4.

Thanks in advance.

Why not buy a Dodge? That's what most BBC members own, so they must be awesome.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Go on Youtube. Watch videos on Ram 1500 vs......... It is really a nice truck. Reliable and really well built.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

4. Member
    I have a GMC Denali 6.2 and have been overall happy has lots of power and gets about 15mpg average towing 19-21 regular driving. My buddy has a 2020 F150 4x4 3.5 eco and I really liked driving and fit finish are nice
    Another good buddy ordered a new F150 last Oct. and just got it a month ago. I have not been in or drove it but he loves it.
    If I were in the market I would look hard at the F150 Only drawback like all new vehicles are price and of course the computer chip problems and partial built vehicles sitting for long period. Everyone has different opinions so my advice is do your homework and look/test drive as many as you can.

5. Member
    I would go with Toyota and I drive a GMC

6. Member
    The new Tundras are nice. For me it would be that or a new Ford with 3.5

7. Member
    I have no issues going back into a Ford. I love mine. My wife drives a Ram 1500 5.7Hemi. I borrowed it a week ago and it suprisingly well considering it is a single cab 2wd.

If I was buying a half ton I would either go Ford with ecoboost or Tundra.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    my last truck was an f150 3.5 eco... great truck, I bought another one..

have you pulled the code? prolly an 02 sensor... how old are the spark plugs?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

10. Member
    If you are towing, stay away from the GM brands. Unless you get the big engine in a Chevy or GMC, you will be disappointed when towing.
    I have always been a Chevy guy, but my F-150 with the 3.5 tows like nothing is there.

11. Banned
    Don’t buy a pos truck..... find some tech forums and read up on what kinda junk there is out there

12. Member
    If you like it so much why not check into fixing it?

Why not fix the Ford you have. Hell I just put a new engine in my 2005 ford f150 with 150,000 miles on it because 8 grand was way cheaper than any new or lightly used pickup. One hundred thousand Mile warranty on the engine. She should be good for at least another 5 years. I just have to make sure she doesn't rust out first..
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    If you are towing, stay away from the GM brands. Unless you get the big engine in a Chevy or GMC, you will be disappointed when towing.
    I have always been a Chevy guy, but my F-150 with the 3.5 tows like nothing is there.
    Totally agree. I’m on my 2nd Chevy 2500 Duramax and only got it bc the dealership is within walking distance of our office and they give us great fleet deals and I need a diesel for towing heavy equipment. That being said, both of them have been fabulous. If it wasn’t for that I would go with Ford over GM 7 days a week, especially in a 1/2 ton. I had a Ford ecoboost 3 trucks ago and honestly for towing a bass boat, I can’t tell a whole lot of difference between that and my diesel, other than maybe stopping power. Tundra would be a close 2nd simply because of longevity. RAM makes a good truck, I just think they all look like they have about 2” of ground clearance and the front ends look horrible. To each their own.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    have you pulled the code? prolly an 02 sensor... how old are the spark plugs?
    P0299
    P0390
    P0394

Plugs may have been changed 50k miles ago.

Dealership had it last Saturday, pulled the codes, technician did a diagnostic and performed inspection on both turbo wastegates (operating as normal), and then "reprogrammed the powertrain control module"

Went back today and was the service writer pulled the dame P0390 and P0394 codes but couldn't tell me what those were as he was not a technician.

I will be bringing it back in for another go. Trouble is, unless it is something easy that a tech can resolve on a Saturday while they are there to support the oil/lube shop my truck will sit for up to 4 weeks before they can get to it as they are short staffed and have a backlog of cars.

16. Member
    gmc denali vote here!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    P0299
    P0390
    P0394

Plugs may have been changed 50k miles ago.

Dealership had it last Saturday, pulled the codes, technician did a diagnostic and performed inspection on both turbo wastegates (operating as normal), and then "reprogrammed the powertrain control module"

Went back today and was the service writer pulled the dame P0390 and P0394 codes but couldn't tell me what those were as he was not a technician.

I will be bringing it back in for another go. Trouble is, unless it is something easy that a tech can resolve on. Saturday while they are there to support the oil/lube shop my truck will sit for up to 4 weeks before they can get to it as they are short staffed and have a backlog of cars.
    cam phasers might be going bad or a timing chain issue could be a bad timing solenoid if you get lucky!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Member
    Go all out and buy the Chevy/GMC with the baby duramax. Friends that have them love them.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

19. Member
    I really like the current generation of ram trucks. I have a Nissan Titan xd and it’s been the best truck I’ve ever owned.

20. Member
    GMC or Chevy with the BabyMax diesel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast