Thread: 2002 518vx??

2002 518vx??

I have a 2002 518vx I ordered it new in 01. I知 at the point where I need a lot of upgrades or a new boat. I have pretty much decided to keep my boat and do upgrades so the first project is recessed TM tray.
    so I知 wondering if anyone out there has the same model and have done this upgrade?
    Obviously I知 very nervous to do this.
    1. Does cutting a big hole in the deck weaken it at all? I知 240lbs and want it to stay solid. That is my biggest concern.
    2. The other is are there any structural things I知 gonna have to cut through to make the tray fit or is it just gonna be chipping foam once I make it thru the deck?

2. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigandpig518 View Post
    I have a 2002 518vx I ordered it new in 01. I’m at the point where I need a lot of upgrades or a new boat...so I’m wondering if anyone out there has the same model and have done this upgrade?
    I've got a 1999 518 DVX. Bought it in 2002. I went through the same exercise and did the boat re-do over the last 18 months. So far I've:
    Gel coat re-worked by Curtis Massey in England Arkansas. Long drive but oh my it was worth it.
    New carpet with 1/4" pad (easy on knees, ankles, back, etc)
    New compartment hinges, locks (new style)
    Ashmore marine console panel replaced and side switch panel
    Switches replaced New Wire Marine switches and covers
    LED lights in compartments
    LED lights around deck
    LED navigation lights in bow
    Ashmore Marine tool holder
    New seat skins and stuffing (all 4)
    Millennium Marine Crappie Seats
    Flow rite - Remote drain plug
    New livewell baffles
    Kong Mount and Garmin 106sv echo map ultra at console w/GT56 transducer
    Bow with 126sv Garmin echo map ultra and BBT graph mount
    (I've got 2 new 106SV in the box and haven't installed yet)
    Garmin Force TM with GT54 transducer
    Garmin livescope with 100 AH Lithium
    all fully networked
    Trailor bunks replaced
    Trailor lights upgraded to LED + LED backup lights
    Trailor brakes redone including stainless lines and master cylinder.
    Trailor fiberglass brought back to life (like the boat it looks new)
    Boat EFX steps on the trailer (love em)

3 Lithium 60 ah for the TM and one for the outboard are on tap for sometime soon. Most likely I'll replace the outboard in 2024.

It has been a great journey and I'm delighted with the results. I get comments regularly "great looking new ranger". I smile "not bad for a 99"

4. Member
    I've got a 188vs and just did the recessed tray on mine. Mine had been manufactured with the recess but then they put the layer of fiberglass overtop. I could tell from looking in my compartment and seeing what looked to be a rectangle on the top, recessed in the compartment. I bought the ranger factory trim kit and template. If you can get a template it makes it alot easier and less stressful. Here is a helpful video to give you an idea of what you need to do.

Wishin I Was Fishin...

5. Member
    Did it on my 2003 185VS when I had it and did full electronics, lighting, and trolling motor upgrade. The tray was way less work than I thought it would be. I did Comfortroll Deluxe so I could get a cup holder and tool holder. Let me know if there’s anything I can help.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton痴 Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N痴 with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkVarble View Post
    I've got a 1999 518 DVX. Bought it in 2002. I went through the same exercise and did the boat re-do over the last 18 months. So far I've:
    Gel coat re-worked by Curtis Massey in England Arkansas. Long drive but oh my it was worth it.
    New carpet with 1/4" pad (easy on knees, ankles, back, etc)
    New compartment hinges, locks (new style)
    Ashmore marine console panel replaced and side switch panel
    Switches replaced New Wire Marine switches and covers
    LED lights in compartments
    LED lights around deck
    LED navigation lights in bow
    Ashmore Marine tool holder
    New seat skins and stuffing (all 4)
    Millennium Marine Crappie Seats
    Flow rite - Remote drain plug
    New livewell baffles
    Kong Mount and Garmin 106sv echo map ultra at console w/GT56 transducer
    Bow with 126sv Garmin echo map ultra and BBT graph mount
    (I've got 2 new 106SV in the box and haven't installed yet)
    Garmin Force TM with GT54 transducer
    Garmin livescope with 100 AH Lithium
    all fully networked
    Trailor bunks replaced
    Trailor lights upgraded to LED + LED backup lights
    Trailor brakes redone including stainless lines and master cylinder.
    Trailor fiberglass brought back to life (like the boat it looks new)
    Boat EFX steps on the trailer (love em)

3 Lithium 60 ah for the TM and one for the outboard are on tap for sometime soon. Most likely I'll replace the outboard in 2024.

It has been a great journey and I'm delighted with the results. I get comments regularly "great looking new ranger". I smile "not bad for a 99"

That sounds sweet! Could you post some pictures? I bought a new 2002 518VX and loved it. I really wish I hadn't traded it.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

7. Member
    I put one in my 99 518 and fished out of it for a couple years and just sold it this winter. You have to cut into the center storage box to get a tray in it so I bought one that has the drain hole at the front so you don’t have to run the drain under the tray. I’m about 330 pounds and never notice a bit of flex after doing it

8. Member
    I just installed a Comfort troll Dlux, piece of cake. Measure twice cut one, disconnect compartment lights and get act wire out of the way. The hole straddles the front wall of your middle compartment. I used a sharpie to trace the pattern on my carpet. Use a circular saw, I haven't seen anyone else mention this but it is fast and easy and very straight cuts. I also used a Milwaukee multi cutting tool for the middle stage compartment divider under the deck floor hole. Put it as far forward on the from deck as you can.Mine is about 2-3" back from my bow panel. I had to install a dual mount bridge for my hummingbirds. No flex in the deck. You are going to want a shop vac on at all times. My drain tube goes forward into the area under the bow panel. I also routed the power for my compartment lights around the pan into the boat area.