Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Any clubs postponing '22 schedule due to rising gas costs?

Had this thought after reading much on gas continuing to rise up and over $6/gal...nearly all lakes on our schedule this year are close to a 3 hr drive or more each way...while I enjoy the "hobby" greatly, our income is taking a hit that makes it near the bottom of the list of our disposable income items...It'll really suck but gotta do what ya gotta do

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

2. Member
    Our electric only lakes are gonna need bigger ramps I reckon.

3. Member
    No. We did just cancel our first paper tournament because 10 out of the 13 boaters have prior commitments (me being one of them). Only one coangler said he wasn’t fishing because of gas. Most of our lakes are 15min to 1.5hrs from here and I live the farthest away from other members. If I can make it, there’s no reason others can’t especially since we aren’t BBC cash rich people
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    No, the club just returned from a trip to Douglas Lake in TN and that is about as far as we travel. Most of our tournaments are on Smith Mountain Lake with 4-5 each year at other locations 1-2 hours away.

5. Member
    Our club switched one tournament from an individual to a team format to help costs, not sure if gas prices will hurt Eastern WA participation.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

We've relocated our last two events to places close to home versus 2 hour travel times to much better fisheries. Many of the members are younger and simply cannot afford the gas. If we get to the prices predicted this summer, it's going to begin to force a lot of decisions.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

7. dartag1829
    Got to believe it will impact small fruit jar events.

8. Member
    I wish my club would relocate our trips to Wheeler and Wilson this year. Not because of gas. We pass so many good lakes (Pickwick and Bay Springs for 2) getting there :)

9. Member
    I read an economist’s column that said our behavior want change until we get beyond $10/gal. And so many are traveling by car this summer the demand will drive it to that.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    I read an economist’s column that said our behavior want change until we get beyond $10/gal. And so many are traveling by car this summer the demand will drive it to that.
    It will be bumper to bumper on I75 headed to Northern Michigan next weekend....Heard the guy from the DNR on the Radio saying campgrounds are maxed out....
    There is alot of beeching going on but very few are slowing down...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

11. Member
    I won't be doing as much pre fishing for our tournaments that are more two hours away.
    John the Garage Doorman

12. Member
    Not yet we got 3 tournaments on are local lake tomorrow a 164 boat BFL and two 40 to 50 boat Series tournament the lake starts getting crowded after about 100 boats so you see where I’m going

13. Member
    Paid $4.29/gal for 89 octane today and had to wait for a pump. When it’s $6.50 in Aug I will realize how cheap today was!

Just have to fish to win and not fish for Points
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

I decided not to fish BFL and a couple other series I fish where I travel a bunch this year. I can “afford” it but don’t feel like economically it’s a great time for me to spend so much in case times get much harder. Still fishing a ton on my two local lakes tho which don’t require a ton of gas to navigate or to get the truck to lol. But I’m completely fine with others not changing their driving patterns. More power to them

I hope it doesn’t get to $6 like I read on my news homepage for my iPhone yesterday. That could take the wind out my sails a little bit, perhaps more the thought of it more than anything lol

16. Member
    4.75 for 87 E10 and 5.36 for non-ethanol here, glad I don't fish tournaments anymore.

17. Member
    My old Saturday club has guys cherry picking lakes. Not sure of all the reasons. I'm certain gas plays a role. It's part of the reason I am only fishing it part time. I'm allowed 3 tournaments. We pay for the whole trail up front before the season so the payouts are guaranteed.

18. Member
    The juice is slowly becoming not worth the squeeze at these prices....defintaly gonna stay more local this summer.

Only high water, a lot of rain and now Memorial Weedend

20. Member
    club staying much closer to home fishing so so lakes-- a close lake is still 30-45 minute drive here a great lake is hours
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-21-2022 at 08:56 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast