Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    It’s not stupid, it factual

we are talking about fishing a $300 club tournament out of a $25,000 plus boat.

The math of club level tournament fishing is what is stupid.

All I am saying is that if an extra $100 in gas ruins a persons budget then they probably couldn’t really afford it before either.
    Club tournaments are mainly about friendship and comradery .... you can’t put a price tag on the fellowship or can ya ? And as far as affording or parting ways with the extra expense to do what ya love and enjoy... “ it only cost a lil more to go first class”

2. Member
    If a 50% or even 100% increase in fuel prices causes someone to stop fishing, they couldn’t afford to fish to begin with.

Life is short enjoy it.

Now that said, if it were only about the money, we should all sell out stuff and invest the dollars.

This is a hobby/ passion, not a need.
    My boat is paid for owe very little on my truck but I'm the only income and have two kids and a mortgage. So yes when groceries and gas and everything was so expensive I could afford to go more often. I also drive 120 miles a day so that gas expense went way up. I'm proud that you are able to afford a 100 percent increase never said it was a need just spoke my opinion.

3. Member
    I completely understand your points and my last post was meant for others, not necessarily you.

Trust me, I have thought of dumping it all because sometimes it’s hard to justify the cost. Let’s look at the camper below. I figure all in it cost me $500 / per night of use each year. Hardly a deal, we could stay at some nice hotels for that.

however, we camp with a group of friends and really enjoy it, plus we can bring the dogs.

With no camper I wouldn’t need the big diesel and they are selling at a premium right now.

The boat, well like you - it’s a two hour drive to fish the places I enjoy. It adds up. Diesel was $2.19 a gallon whenI bought the truck, now it’s $5.69.

Everything is expensive, but tomorrow is not a guarantee.

I wish I had the time to fish 3-4 times a week, but I just don’t at this point.

regardless, good luck and try to enjoy it when your out there. Don’t feel guilty above spending the money, you’ve earned it.

On another note, I have noticed a lot of the go fast boats not going as fast recently.
    Was not taken personal and yes I don't "air it out" as often, LOL.
    The whole situation makes me sad and angry. I just can't help but think what could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by poeman View Post
    My boat is paid for owe very little on my truck but I'm the only income and have two kids and a mortgage. So yes when groceries and gas and everything was so expensive I could afford to go more often. I also drive 120 miles a day so that gas expense went way up. I'm proud that you are able to afford a 100 percent increase never said it was a need just spoke my opinion.
    I don’t believe I quoted you or replied to your comment.

Regardless, I get it, everything is more expensive now. There are mandatory expenses, Bass fishing is not one of them.

All I am saying is the extra 50-$100 it cost me in gas isn’t going to keep me from fishing my club tournaments if I want to fish it. I will make cuts elsewhere if needed.

The price of fuel absolutely sucks right now, and I don’t see it getting better. Good Luck, Go fishing when you can.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Was not taken personal and yes I don't "air it out" as often, LOL.
    The whole situation makes me sad and angry. I just can't help but think what could have been.

Yep, it’s hard to find a justifiable reason for the increased costs on everything.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

6. Member
    Reasons, yes. Justifiable, no.

There is some real scientific stuff in this thread, I think my club may loose 5 boats out of the 30, but those probably are not the hard core guys. But many of us will relax on the prefishing and wing it a bit more. Us passionate participants will enjoy the competition just as much if not more this year. And yeah all 12 of my tournaments are 300 miles round trip away. So that sucks. But whatever

8. Member
    If a 50% or even 100% increase in fuel prices causes someone to stop fishing, they couldn’t afford to fish to begin with.
    An assinine, elitist statement if there ever was one. WTG.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    There is some real scientific stuff in this thread, I think my club may loose 5 boats out of the 30, but those probably are not the hard core guys. But many of us will relax on the prefishing and wing it a bit more. Us passionate participants will enjoy the competition just as much if not more this year. And yeah all 12 of my tournaments are 300 miles round trip away. So that sucks. But whatever
    Report back in 3 months. It hasn't gotten bad yet.

10. Member
    I don’t believe I quoted you or replied to your comment.

Regardless, I get it, everything is more expensive now. There are mandatory expenses, Bass fishing is not one of them.

All I am saying is the extra 50-$100 it cost me in gas isn’t going to keep me from fishing my club tournaments if I want to fish it. I will make cuts elsewhere if needed.

The price of fuel absolutely sucks right now, and I don’t see it getting better. Good Luck, Go fishing when you can.
    My apologies I thought it was directed towards me.

Nevermind
    Last edited by Bill2e; 05-22-2022 at 06:04 PM.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by poeman View Post
    My apologies I thought it was directed towards me.

Not at all. Just general commentary.

Take Care
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

13. Member
    It will shorten the travel distance before it hits $10.00, and if it goes to $10 a gal there will be a lot of bass boats for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by headwaters View Post
    It will shorten the travel distance before it hits $10.00, and if it goes to $10 a gal there will be a lot of bass boats for sale.
    And trucks. That would be total disaster for the economy. I certainly hope this turns around soon
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

15. Member
    Boating was never cheap anytime, anyplace, or anywhere. My dad had a guy that worked for him in the early 70s who owned a 26 foot cabin boat. Back then it cost 500 a day to gas up and take a trip from Ct. to long island. That was the total costs including slip fees, gas, ice, bait, beer etc..

16. Member
    A bunch of Crawfishing babble after being busted for a stupid statement.
    Just STFU.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    Just STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    Just STFU.
    Whatever, have a good day.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

19. Banned
    Tisk tisk it seems as doe some peoples expenses are rubbing against there income and they are overheating......

20. Member
    What is interesting to me is that most of the boaters in our club, especially me, have been very lax in terms of expectations from boaters on paying a true 50/50 on travel/boat fuel expenses and tolls. But with $5 a gallon, this is going to get interesting. I'm a nice guy and don't take much in the past... but at this price i do need/want some contribution.

I highly recommend if you are a boater telling your non-boater no later than the day before what you are asking for in terms of shared cost in $ so they chit their pants before they get to the end of the tournament day and you ask them for more than they brought with them :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast