Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More confused than when I started the search for a boat

I feel like I have read 100's of this same type of post. Each situation slightly different than the other. I am sorry for being semi-redundant with posting the question again that I am sure has been answered, but here is my situation.

My story is I moved to NE Ohio from central IL. I have only known bass fishing on old strip pits and small inland reservoirs until this point. My only previous boat was a bass tracker tx-17 with a 9.9 on the back. I have 0 big lake experience, and am looking for something that will be kind to a learner. My fishing companion is often my wife (who is usually just along for the ride). It's hard to predict what the future holds, but I would guess smallmouth and largemouth is all I will be interested in for the foreseeable future even though everyone says I really need to try walleye fishing. Everyone shares their horror stories about Lake Erie, but I also hear how the smallies are amazing. Generally I would be fishing out of Ashtabula, Conneaut and presque isle for those of you that know the area. If I can find other good bass reservoirs within an hour inland of Ashtabula, those would be on my list as well.

Up to this point I have spend a couple weeks researching everything I can online, and feel like there are as many cons to the pros of any boat I explore. Several hours have been spent at the boat ramps locally talking to some amazing fishermen that all have a suggestion, but tend to not stay in my parameters of need. Local boat dealers are few and far between that actually have inventory for us to see, and I do not see any upcoming boat shows in our area this year.

With that all stated could you guys please give your advise on narrowing down my search for a boat that would be good in Erie, and still be able to fish the inland reservoirs? I do not have an unlimited budget, but can make 50-60K or so work for the right boat. This would also be parked in my garage with 24.5' of length and 9' doors. I am sure I left out some needed information, but I look forward to your replies. Thank you so much in advance.

Eric

2. Member
    Do you have a preference for a bass style layout or will a multi species boat work for you?
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Do you have a preference for a bass style layout or will a multi species boat work for you?
    When I started I thought bass style layout, but I have opened up to realizing that I have no clue what would work best for me so open to suggestions. I am not a tournament angler, just a guy that likes to fish as much as I can on the weekends (and weeknights if I can sneak out of work early enough). Biggest desire is a boat that can handle Erie as well as a smaller inland reservoir.

4. Member
    The Lund pro 1875 bass boat might be worth taking a look at, they can get expensive quick when loaded with accessories though.

The Lund pro 1875 bass boat might be worth taking a look at, they can get expensive quick when loaded with accessories though.
    This ^^ or the Lund pro 2075 bass boat. Lund's build's several boats that are designed for "Big Water" which is what Erie is. I believe that the Pro versions share the same hull design as some of those.

Size and Hull shape can make a difference. I prefer the Bass style mainly because with the high sided boats, which can act like a sail in a stiff wind, boat control can be challenging. And that leads to another consideration, "Boat style or layout." What kind of fishing will you concentrate on? Are you going to drift around, anchor, troll or cover water Bass fishing style from the front deck via a trolling motor? Deciding this will cut down on the type of boat you will get.

Meantime, it can turn nasty really quick on big lakes and any advantage you can give yourself to get back to the ramp safely, and in the boat you started with, is worth it. Personally, I wouldn't go less than 20 foot, but you've got to consider your garage length with a folding trailer tongue. (And whether or not you want to knock a hole in the back wall of the garage for more room!)
    Last edited by OBT; 05-20-2022 at 01:46 PM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    This ^^ or the Lund pro 2075 bass boat. Lund's build's several boats that are designed for "Big Water" which is what Erie is. I believe that the Pro versions share the same hull design as some of those.

Size and Hull shape can make a difference. I prefer the Bass style mainly because with the high sided boats, which can act like a sail in a stiff wind, boat control can be challenging. And that leads to another consideration, "Boat style or layout." What kind of fishing will you concentrate on? Are you going to drift around, anchor, troll or cover water Bass fishing style from the front deck via a trolling motor? Deciding this will cut down on the type of boat you will get.

Meantime, it can turn nasty really quick on big lakes and any advantage you can give yourself to get back to the ramp safely, and in the boat you started with, is worth it. Personally, I wouldn't go less than 20 foot, but you've got to consider your garage length with a folding trailer tongue. (And whether or not you want to knock a hole in the back wall of the garage for more room!)
    No holes in the garage at this time to save an upset wife. As for fishing style I'm used to trolling around for my bass.

7. Member
    If I was fishing big water 50% of the time or more I would either have a boat like the Lund Pro Bass mentioned above or a glass multi species boat (Ranger Fisherman, Tuffy, Yar Craft etc). Ideally it'd be 18-21 feet. I'd definitely have a kicker on it and a spotlock trolling motor.

I'd personally lean towards a Lund Pro Bass 1875 or ProV 1875 because I don't like the walk through windshields and a 1875 will still handle smaller lakes well...unless I could find a nice 619 or 620 Fisherman. You can find a used one for under $50K, new is going to be more. Even used glass multi-species boats are even more expensive than bass boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Eharper1996 View Post
    No holes in the garage at this time to save an upset wife. As for fishing style I'm used to trolling around for my bass.
    I don't work for Lund, they're just the only ones I'm familiar with when it comes to smaller Great Lakes fishing boats. I'm sure there are lots of other brands. That said, how about either of these two and their different size offerings?...

2075 FISHERMAN, https://www.lundboats.com/families/f...fisherman.html

or the...

2025 Impact XS, https://www.lundboats.com/families/i...impact-xs.html
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    I don't work for Lund, they're just the only ones I'm familiar with when it comes to smaller Great Lakes fishing boats. I'm sure there are lots of other brands. That said, how about either of these two and their different size offerings?...

2075 FISHERMAN, https://www.lundboats.com/families/f...fisherman.html

or the...

2025 Impact XS, https://www.lundboats.com/families/i...impact-xs.html
    lund is batting 1.000 here so we are heading to the Lund dealer in Erie PA tomorrow to look at the suggestions. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

10. Member
    After a trip to the local Lund dealership I am left searching for more. The local dealer was a typical salesman telling me I didn’t want anything that has been suggested here (he didn’t have the thread suggestions on the lot). He instead said I should really consider his used 2005 Lund Explorer 1700 that had a lot of globs of rtv under the boat. He had no info on the motor, and the electronics didn’t work on it. Pretty bad experience for my first dealership attempt. I’m not against used, but I was hoping for a little better experience at the dealership.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eharper1996 View Post
    After a trip to the local Lund dealership I am left searching for more. The local dealer was a typical salesman telling me I didn’t want anything that has been suggested here (he didn’t have the thread suggestions on the lot). He instead said I should really consider his used 2005 Lund Explorer 1700 that had a lot of globs of rtv under the boat. He had no info on the motor, and the electronics didn’t work on it. Pretty bad experience for my first dealership attempt. I’m not against used, but I was hoping for a little better experience at the dealership.
    Hes just trying to sell you what he has in stock. Dealers are a necessary evil for a new boat, but I’ve never found a good used deal there. Private party is usually better for used.

12. Member
    Hes just trying to sell you what he has in stock. Dealers are a necessary evil for a new boat, but I’ve never found a good used deal there. Private party is usually better for used.
    Thanks Mcjenson. I appreciate the advice, and we are excited for the “hunt” of the boat.

If you are going to spend the vast majority of your time on Erie, then a multi-species type boat is the way to go. For the budget you mentioned, Lund would be my first choice. If you would consider a bass style boat, then look at a Vexus. The AVX 1980 or 2080 would be my first choices. Fisherman's Central in Akron and Port Clinton are the local dealers. The other option is to go with a used walleye style boat or a used bass boat. I used to fish a lot out of Conneaut and Ashtabula, with an occasional trip to Presque Isle. Whatever boat you choose, pick your days carefully!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    THIS

The key word in your original post is Wife. Her comfort and enjoyment are critical. That means a smooth, dry and safe ride. Lots of inside depth, freeboard, and family features will add to her enjoyment and help her be more supportive of the purchase.

For those reasons, I'd look for a milti-species, fiberglass, 19-20' boat, lots of walk around space in the cockpit, bimini/stand up top, and deck padding. Ranger, Vexus, Triton, Skeeter, and others all offer great choices.

In aluminum, check out Lund, Crestliner, Ranger, and others that will please the wife.
    Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 05-22-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    The key word in your original post is Wife. Her comfort and enjoyment are critical. That means a smooth, dry and safe ride. Lots of inside depth, freeboard, and family features will add to her enjoyment and help her be more supportive of the purchase.

For those reasons, I'd look for a milti-species, fiberglass, 19-20' boat, lots of walk around space in the cockpit, bimini/stand up top, and deck padding. Ranger, Vexus, Triton, Skeeter, and others all offer great choices.

In aluminum, check out Lund, Crestliner, Ranger, and others that will please the wife.
    Great point. Happy wife happy life. Thank you for the suggestions. We are looking at a new Lund impact 1875 locally, and a used Ranger 619 this weekend that seems to be along the lines of your suggestions.

17. Member
    If you get a boat with a kicker motor, you could fish Pymatuning for bass and walleye. Always a good time there, loaded with fish. Has a 20 hp rating.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

Its the boat you think is right.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    I have my personal Ranger Z518 for sale at Beech Lake Marine in Lexington, Tn. Everything you will need. Superb dealership....check her out. At 82, I'm retiring from the river and big water and going to pick up a kick around tin for area lakes. Good wishes in your search sir.

20. Member
    I fish a lot of very small lakes/rivers and then some larger more “rough” water like Mille Lacs large South Dakota lakes. For me I fish a lot alone so it’s important that I can launch and handle the boat alone but also have the space and comfort when my wife or friends come along. My current boat does it better than anything else I’ve had. It drafts fairly shallow for the small lake launches yet with the length and width I’ve never been uncomfortable on big water in rough seas. Lots of storage because I buy too much stuff and wife likes the second console for some wind protection. Also being limited on garage space the swing tongue and 19’ series it fits in most garage bays. It’s been a dream boat for me and was a nice improvement to my previous 18’ Ranger on big water yet handles little water about the same. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions, a lot of things to think about when buying…
    Not to make a pitch but due to some life situations I just had Al put it up for sale
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast